PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gilmore has one more big contract. He's not going to risk injury this year and play for $7M. Perhaps the patriots would just let him sit the year out. More likely, they will give him more money or trade him.

This is silly. He is (would be) playing for the contract he signed, not for 7M. The $ they paid upfront for this season does not just disappear.
He has 40M cap hit over last 2 years combined. 20M apy. His 2021 $ is c. 16M (9M already paid, 7M salary remaining, 500K roster bonuses)
And the cap went down. His play went down.

Kyle Fuller signed for 1y/9.5M. He is 29. That is the reality of this years market.

Gilmore was injured, didn't finish the season, had surgery. I don't see how $ will be an issue for 2021.
Extension in this circumstances is difficult, for both sides. If he waits and plays well he can possibly get more next year.
Although market for 32 y old corners is not great..

Possible trade will be about opportunity. And it will have to be a good one. He is key piece of D, his absence would have significant domino effect throughout not only secondary but whole D. And at the end of Free Agency that will not be easy to replace.

Maybe because the pats offense is built differently? The strength of the offense starts with prob the best offensive line in football, solid rbs core and prob the best 1-2 punch with tight ends. Yeah cam was garbage last year, he needs to be serviceable not great for this offense to thrive.

I don’t know anyone here who thinks that the Pats offense, as currently constituted, is going to be scary-good, but after being forced to watch that anemic, scary-bad mess in 2020, its hard not to be excited about 2021. I’m excited for the potential of an above average offense. It’s all relative.

I think both teams are in the same position TBH when it comes to offense. Both have offenses with a ton of weapons with a question mark at QB. Last year both Newton and Jones were about the same:

Newton - 2657 yards, 8 TDs, 10 Ints

Jones - 2943 yards, 11 TDs, 10 ints

With the added weapons to both squads (Golladay and Barkley for the Giants; Henry, Smith, Bourne, Agoholar for the Pats), there is a lot of potential for both the Pats and Giants.

This is silly. He is (would be) playing for the contract he signed, not for 7M. The $ they paid upfront for this season does not just disappear.
He has 40M cap hit over last 2 years combined. 20M apy. His 2021 $ is c. 16M (9M already paid, 7M salary remaining, 500K roster bonuses)
And the cap went down. His play went down.

Kyle Fuller signed for 1y/9.5M. He is 29. That is the reality of this years market.

Gilmore was injured, didn't finish the season, had surgery. I don't see how $ will be an issue for 2021.
Extension in this circumstances is difficult, for both sides. If he waits and plays well he can possibly get more next year.
Although market for 32 y old corners is not great..

Possible trade will be about opportunity. And it will have to be a good one. He is key piece of D, his absence would have significant domino effect throughout not only secondary but whole D. And at the end of Free Agency that will not be easy to replace.
I will be plain. If Gilmore plays for $7M this year, he will be playing for someone else next year.
============
Gilmore signed a 5 year contract at $13M AAV. Your $20M calc is just silly. Gilmore played much better than his contract money. Last year he was given a $5M raise for 2020, even though he was under contract. It remains to be seen what is done in 2021,

Last edited:
Exactly. The Team president, GM and coach and all staff were fired and half the roster was purged. They all got no benefit from losing games on purpose so what would be in it for them? I can't see them agreeing to such a scheme.

Imagine if it was leaked and Commissioner #Integrity found out about it. The punishment would be devastating.
I don’t know why people keep saying it, I really don’t think there’s any proof Indy tanked. When you break it down, it makes no sense and the proof really isn’t there.

I will be plain. If Gilmore plays for $7M this year, he will be playing for someone else next year.
============
Gilmore signed a 5 year contract at $13M AAV. Your $20M calc is just silly. Gilmore played much better than his contract money. Last year he was given a $5M raise for 2020, even though he was under contract. It remains to be seen what is done in 2021,

He was Defensive Player of the Year. Both sides agreed on 5M bonus. What does that have to do with 2021 contract?

I hate the "plays for $7M" commentary that has been perpetuated. That's just his salary this year. A contract is not just about salary. Yes he will be paid $7M in new salary payments this year, but he already received a hefty signing bonus years ago as part of the deal that came along with the commitment.

This is like if I hired a contractor to remodel my bathroom who gave me a quote of $8K, I pay him $6K up front, and then when he is nearly done with the job I go to give him his last $2K and he objects, saying the job is worth a lot more than $2K and I need to pay him more.

Perhaps his quote was low and he ultimately performed a level of craftsmanship, or used better materials, that should be worth more than that quote, but he agreed to do it for a certain price in the beginning. That can be a discussion, but to characterize the task as only being worth as much as the final payment while ignoring all prior payments is silly.

Apparently Mike Lombardi has infected you. He calls him K’Neal too. He also always calls Caserio Nick “Sesserio”.
Oh crap i didn't notice that thanks

No worries, haha. I figured that it was just a typo. It is very annoying hearing Lombardi screw it up over and over. It’s like people who say Nucular instead of Nuclear (George W for one).
You're right. Yeah I usually don't like spelling the name wrong either but sometimes it's hard from me to translate the "what it sounds like" into "what the spelling is ".

Have to be one of the first teams to keep all 22 starters from the year before.

So it’s around 9 million incentives? I wonder what was the incentives for the brown contract. There’s some risk with AB for the simple fact he has a trial coming up soon.

Hmmm, so we already knew the Cardinals were taking Harry at 33 if the Pats didn’t take him at 32, and now we learn that the 49ers were considering him at 36 if he was there. They drafted Deebo Samuel instead. Nice consolation prize for them....

They probably saying thank you pats. I wasn’t a big Harry fan judging by his game tape. Struggle off the line. Contested catches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots