PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
shout out to @Kenneth Sims for good guesstimation earlier

Some 13-14M left

(Adams, McMillan & Chung should be a wash approx.)

I'm not a cap expert but I follow Miguel on Twitter...I was under the impression that the Pats were more likely to wait to file Chung's retirement which would create an immediate 2 million plus hit this year but ultimately free up a few million more in total in cap space over the next few years?

It is not good business to take advantage of a player way infer market value just cuz you can.
No but i'd argue he wasn't as good last year as he was in 2018-2019.

COVID, injuries, sucky front 7. Combo.

I don't think hes worth the $14m AAV of the TCV anymore but certainly worth more than $7m.

I was just on OTC, and it now lists Patriots cap space at $13,146,428

They probably had just entered the updated contract info without refreshing the totals when you viewed it.
Confirmed.

Also noticed The Virgin is at the bottom of top 51.

I'm not a cap expert but I follow Miguel on Twitter...I was under the impression that the Pats were more likely to wait to file Chung's retirement which would create an immediate 2 million plus hit this year but ultimately free up a few million more in total in cap space over the next few years?

i guess these were the tweets you are referring to

makes more sense to push it to next yr. id be surprised if they chose to lose 3M this yr

I hope it at least helped them redefine the way they scout and evaluate kickers.

That is quite an overreaction coming from you :)

They have a system in place. Last kicker they drafted worked out pretty good. Humans will never be easy to evaluate.

Remember the great line from Miller's Crossing: "Nobody knows anybody. Not that well.“

-.-

They have a system in place. Last kicker they drafted worked out pretty good. Humans will never be easy to evaluate.

Remember the great line from Miller's Crossing: "Nobody knows anybody. Not that well.“

-.-
Part of the system they have in place is re-evaluating the system when it produces a result like that one. We could have picked any kicker in the entire draft and probably couldn't have picked a worse one. If the scouts just did the same thing every year and never changed their mind about anything, they wouldn't be successful.

-.-

I don't see it as overreaction. I am not asking for people to get fired or consider this some kind of terrible bust. It was a move in the fifth round -- which ironically is nothing special -- that failed for some reason and I would expect BB to do a post mortem on what they might have missed/under/over valued with him with respect to his kicking. Even if it comes down to calibrating 1-2 variables it is better than just moving on without a thought.

But I guess I wasn't clear enough and "redefine the way" sounded more dramatic than intended.

Last edited:
In a normal year this would be NE signing - projected by OTC at 11M apy..

Part of the system they have in place is re-evaluating the system when it produces a result like that one. We could have picked any kicker in the entire draft and probably couldn't have picked a worse one. If the scouts just did the same thing every year and never changed their mind about anything, they wouldn't be successful.

Yep. That is the system they have in place. Like most orgs.
Id rather guess they will evaluate this like any other of thousands of things they do every year (either positive or negative outcome).
Dont see why missing on a kicker would bring about some dramatic “re-evaluation“ process.

I don't see it as overreaction. I am not asking for people to get fired or consider this some kind of terrible bust. It was a move in the fifth round -- which is nothing special -- that failed for some reason and I would expect BB to do a post mortem on what they might have missed/under/over valued with him with respect to his kicking. Even if it comes down to calibrating 1-2 variables it is better than just moving on without a thought.

But I guess I wasn't clear enough and "redefine the way" sounded more dramatic than intended.
I don’t have much of a problem with picking him and I could see the potential reasons that they liked him....really big buy for a kicker with a strong leg like Gost, kicked well in some unfavorable weather (URI, Marshall) but to pick him in the 5th was kind of insane. I haven’t read any reports or rumors that other teams were ready to draft him, so take him in the late 6th or, better yet, the 7th if you really like him, Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back