PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samuel and Agholor are very different players.

Samuel is a gadget guy who can play out of the slot, backfield, and work deep a bit. Certainly a guy I would've like to have gotten, but Agholor is a true deep threat with length and size, who can play the 'Z' and threaten the field deep and outside the numbers. Agholor is a much better complement to Jonnu and Henry IMO. This team needed a true wide receiver, and Agholor is more that than is Samuel.

Again, Samuel is a good player and I would've been happy to have gotten him, but Agholor (assuming he performs to last season's standard) is probably a better fit right now. Still would like to see the team add another play-maker with the ball in their hands, be it a RB or another WR.

Ouch, would take Samuel 10/10 times given the contracts. Forgive me if I dont trust this team when it comes to WRs... We'll see

Or you can, you know, do some research and watch them play and realize that 2020 Agholor and Samuel (11.1 and 11.6 ypc past two seasons) are very different players. Agholor had a better, more impactful season last year and is a willing and effective blocker, which is always important in the Pats offense. I was holding out hope that they would sign Samuel in addition to Agholor, but it is dumb to try to compare the two.

Posters on this site: We need a deep threat at WR!!

Also posters on the site: Why did we sign one of the top deep threats of 2020?! We should’ve signed Samuel instead!

So many whiny b*tches here who are only happy when they are complaining.

OTC presumes a trade for brown, a year deal and no restructure. Personally, I like a 2 year deal. When he was signed, the report was that he agree to a new contract with the patriots for 1 year at $11M
OTC lists Brown’s numbers on his Raiders contract. The trade didn’t become official until 4 pm today, so the renegotiated contract has not been filed yet. Brown’s actual cap hit will he $11 m less the NLTBEs included. It will probably be about $8 million or so.

Samuel is a gadget guy who can play out of the slot, backfield, and work deep a bit. Certainly a guy I would've like to have gotten, but Agholor is a true deep threat with length and size, who can play the 'Z' and threaten the field deep and outside the numbers. Agholor is a much better complement to Jonnu and Henry IMO. This team needed a true wide receiver, and Agholor is more that than is Samuel.

Again, Samuel is a good player and I would've been happy to have gotten him, but Agholor (assuming he performs to last season's standard) is probably a better fit right now. Still would like to see the team add another play-maker with the ball in their hands, be it a RB or another WR.

Jinx, buy me Coke.

Excellent post.

Yep. Agholor’s average catch last season was twice as far down the field as Samuel’s, 13.9 yards to 6.9. Similar for average depth of target, 15.5 to 7.3.

I would love to see Gardner Minshew here. He's cheap, shouldn't cost much to acquire, is young, has suffered through bad teams and poor coaching. His stats are really pretty good when you consider his circumstances.

I’m not going to lie, I haven’t seen Minshew play very much. I’ve heard his arm strength is below average but he’s pretty accurate.

I would love to see Gardner Minshew here. He's cheap, shouldn't cost much to acquire, is young, has suffered through bad teams and poor coaching. His stats are really pretty good when you consider his circumstances.
I agree. That is whom I am hoping for, in terms of a veteran pick up. His rookie numbers are pretty damn good, regardless of the circumstances.
60.6%3,271 YDS21 TD6 INT

Agholor's yards per catch was a career aberration.

Nelson Agholor Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
This is true; however, that was mostly due to PHI’s offensive system & Wentz only throwing to TEs haha. We’ve seen what happens when the play calling expands...18.7 ypc. If you go back to his USC days, he averaged 18ypc, 16ypc & 12ypc (104 receptions in 2014)...which averages out to just over 14ypc. He’s a poor man’s Stefon Diggs.

Last edited:
He looked awfully good on tape, too. Ran routes well, deep ball, went through the middle sometimes. Looks like he’s developed into a good receiver.

I was in Samuel camp pre FA esp bc potential Cam bond . but looking closer the two (Pats being in on both) Agholor feels like a more mature receiver, better outside and RZ, quicker, plays stronger through contact.

After signing Jonnu he was better complementary piece. Contracts being relatively similar feels like a better choice.

Add me to the list of those who prefer Samuel over Agholor. BUT, I do think now Agholor makes sense given the other pass catchers brought in. I'm not sure we'll deploy him on the outside as much as Vegas, but it's good to know he can play both inside and out. I do have memories of him in Phily dropping a couple easy passes only to make up for it later with a ridiculous one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3