PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting with JC's tender. They get him for a $1M discount this year, and if someone else tries to take him, they either get a (most likely) decent contract negotiated for them if they choose to match, or they get a 2nd rounder if they feel it's too rich.
My thinking is Bill knows that they’re not going to be able to agree on anything long-term with Jackson. So, save the $1.4 m this year, and, if someone wants him bad enough, you get a 2nd rounder in this year’s draft rather than a compensatory 3rd (maybe) in 2023.

This along with the Gilmore situation is why I think the Pats will take a CB at 15.

Wonder how BB feels about RB Marlon Mack. I’d love RBs Chris Carson & Phillip Lindsay as well.

And, with that alignment, you rarely get to 3rd down. Just a lot of life sucking 8 minutes 15 play drives.

Unlike you, I don’t have imaginary conversations with Bill, so I can only speculate as to his plans. It appears to me that he knows you can’t compete against the run with only 2 real DLinemen on the field. That they’ve had to go a lot with that alignment over the last couple of seasons because they’ve been short in personnel there with Pennel and Bennett flaming out and Allen being hurt all last season. And, frankly, there was little difference between Adam Butler and Chase Winovich as a run defender, so you might as well have the more versatile guy out there.

With their transactions so far, it appears they’re building a nice little rotation of 6 Dlinemen to play 3-3-5 on early downs at least. Let’s hope so. It’s misery watching a defense that lets a team run it right down their throats.
He’s been doing it for 6+ years. Sorry you haven’t been paying attention.

LJ Fort just got cut from the Ravens. He might be worth a look to bolster the LB core.

Right, the issue becomes how much do you want to push into future years...

KC's window is a year or two, by three years out a lot of big future cap hits they are taking now will be impossible to ignore.
Yes, I can see the wisdom in Tampa Bay pushing dead money onto the cap down the road, with the eventual bailout being replacing TB12 with a low-dollar rookie, but KC has no such bailout. They might be in a world of hurt in 4 years, and Mahomes still in his prime and paid like it. Good problem to have, though, I guess, but they better not go crazy in spending.

LJ Fort just got cut from the Ravens. He might be worth a look to bolster the LB core.
Good catch Cousin. Thought the same. Supposedly good against the run.
Still say we need KVN.
DW Toys

Get it done already!

Hey, the longer it goes on (if the rumors of three teams being in on it are true), the more likely we actually get something decent for him. It'll never be a recoup of anything close to the 32nd pick we used on him, but something.

I wonder if more trades will be announced in 10 minutes once they can officially be filed with the league.

I wonder if more trades will be announced in 10 minutes once they can officially be filed with the league.

Makes more sense than just cutting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey