WR Adam Humphries
WR Golden Tate
TE Kyle Rudolph
TE Tyler Eifert
LB Kyle Van Noy

Fits

DT Jurrell Casey
DL Henry Anderson

Plenty more cuts to come over the next few weeks.

I think given how many teams are in cap hell, significantly in cap hell. I think its inevitable, but don't get me wrong, I was shocked at that contract.
I think it will end up being a lot of one year lower than norm deals. Then a feeding frenzy again next year with a significantly larger salary cap expected.

I think if Bill does this right the next two year's FA periods can drastically improve this roster and put us on a fast track back to SB contenders.

What contract? NFL free agents can not sign for 2 more weeks. The contract Watt leaked to the press when he did his photo op with a Cardinals shirt on? Kind of like Van Noy's contract was reported at $30M guaranteed to go to the Dolphins and gets cut the next year. :)

All FAs (Humphries, Cook, Tate) that turned down Pats in 2019 have been released except Beasley who had a great year.
Can't see Russ and Tate on the same team.

Last edited:
Evan Lazar tweet:

Players cut that were previously linked to the #Patriots or are scheme fits:

Previous Interest

WR Adam Humphries
WR Golden Tate
TE Kyle Rudolph
TE Tyler Eifert
LB Kyle Van Noy

Fits

DT Jurrell Casey
DL Henry Anderson

I would welcome the signing of Anderson and Casey. Add that to the resigning of guy and maybe we can have a serviceable defensive line.

Had Cam played like he did even after the 49ers debacle, we'd have won more games.. It was his crappiness that cost us so many
Oakland was gashing us before they abandoned the run for w/e reason. Cam was awful that day. Easily one of his worst games. Jete was a weird game we came back from and Arizona cooled off quite a bit when we saw them. Just a big swing from top 6-7 to 15. We'll see what happens and if it looks like we really want a rookie QB after all.

Evan Lazar tweet:

Previous Interest

WR Adam Humphries
WR Golden Tate
TE Kyle Rudolph
TE Tyler Eifert
LB Kyle Van Noy

Fits

DT Jurrell Casey
DL Henry Anderson

I’d have some interest in Casey for sure. Especially if Butler leaves for bigger guaranteed money than we are willing to offer. He’d be natural fit in this D playing the 3-tech. He, unfortunately, would not eliminate the need for a toilet clogger 1/0-tech, though.

Curious to see what the giants do with solder. His cap number is 16.5. If they cut him pre-June they have to eat 10 million in dead cap.

Giants released LB/ST David Mayo as well.
Had a good 2019 season on D. Got injured early 2020 and rookies stepped up for NYG.
Could be a solid vet min candidate for TC.

Every team is competing for a SB.

I don’t understand this sentiment when half of the team isn’t here yet. They can literally upgrade half of the starters and half if the reserves from last years 7-9 team. Wouldn’t you like to know who the players in the 2021 are going to be before you decide what kind of a team it will be?

This isn’t a normal off season with a few moves. This is the most resources available to improve the team than any off season Belichick has ever had, by a lot.
It's also a season where we have the best draft position, by a lot. I'm not giving up on the Pats, but they need a QB.

Does anyone here have any idea how the Saints can possibly get themselves under the cap, and what their team might look like after? I tried reading their forum to see what their fans think of the cap situation and they aren't even talking about it. Mostly just complaining about the Bucs and delusional assumptions that all the players they cut will immediately sign back with them for nothing.

Does anyone here have any idea how the Saints can possibly get themselves under the cap, and what their team might look like after? I tried reading their forum to see what their fans think of the cap situation and they aren't even talking about it. Mostly just complaining about the Bucs and delusional assumptions that all the players they cut will immediately sign back with them for nothing.

Here from a very reliable source:

Evan Lazar tweet:

Previous Interest

WR Adam Humphries
WR Golden Tate
TE Kyle Rudolph
TE Tyler Eifert
LB Kyle Van Noy

Fits

DT Jurrell Casey
DL Henry Anderson

Cousin,
Started off this cold and windy early March Thursday with a breakfast of a veggy and cheese omelette (sharp New York cheddar) with a small puce of that blueberry buckle cake, orange juice and a big mug of hazelnut coffee as I ponder these recent cuts.

What I want to know is why the Pats have not signed every one of these already? Are they playing a hot game of Pinochle in Foxborough? Are they binge watching Netflix? Or as we might say on this site, as Rome burns, Bill and his shiny new personnel staff........ fiddles?

Has this "wait until the last gun is fired" really worked?........see Cam. They stepped up to the plate within moments to sign Gilmore. That seemed to work. An actual tier #1 FA!!!!!

Someone tell them on Route #1, you do not have the wait until FA opens to sign these guys. Van Noy, Casey, Rudolph and Anderson should be on a plane heading toward Gillette to sign contracts today. I might wait on Humphries and Tate (33) after I hear for sure if John Brown is cut by the Bills. He has 33 receptions and 3 TDs in only 9 games and was not the primary WR guy last year. He has 4.34 speed.

Eifert? Why not. Better than our two vaunted 2020 rookie TEs. Two TE set with Rudolph and Eifert works fine thank you. Eifert had 36 receptions and 2 TDs for a 1-15 Jaguar Team for cryin' out loud.

Now one or two splash signings (actually thinking of the only 28 year old Clowney, Dalvin Tomlinson and Matt Milano) and a reasonable QB (Minshew? in trade with Bill's buddy Meyer) and are we not better in 2021?

Now a sprinkle of Draft picks (Oh Lordeee!)
DW Toys
DW Toys

Looks like we might be seeing a similar article in another year or two if part of the solution is to kick the can further down the road (again) with more restructures and fake extensions.

That will be the problem, and they don't even have a proper QB signed. GMs reportedly count on 2023 big spike in cap so there will be a lot of pushing cap there, but it is not a sound scenario.

NO will be very interesting case to monitor (and we will in GM LOUNGE) - also from Pats perspective. Some interesting players could be available from NO over the next year and the two orgs have good history in making deals.

2017 was historically great Draft for NO. Instead of preparing Cap to sign them they went all in for Brees and gambled the future they found in draft. They did re-sign one but like Dallas exactly the wrong one - RB Kamara. They might lose all 4 remaining over next yr. And I bet BB will be monitoring that closely over the next year. Williams, Lattimore, Ramczyk and also Thomas could be nice pick-ups..

Last edited:
Looks like we might be seeing a similar article in another year or two if part of the solution is to kick the can further down the road (again) with more restructures and fake extensions.
As long as the cap bounces back, teams will be fine. This year's about a financial kick to the balls. It's not about a general business trend. And, if the new TV deals are what some people are saying, there's going to be some big jumps of the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots