PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the player he used to be of course, but he should've been an integral part of the Second Dynasty for almost the entire decade...Would've likely gone to the SB in 2010, 2012 & 2015 (and won in 2011) if we had him...If his salary expectations are somewhat low, and ass-uming that a couple of talented yutes are also added, then he would at least be an Upgrayedd over Damiere Byrd in that role...

Many poster a licking their chops at getting a hold of the cap savings. Surely, Gilmore will be replaced with lots left over. NOT
I go back and forth.

A)He's still a top 5-10 CB depending on the day. Scheme diverse, can play in any system and play well. Quiet, no problems and competes very hard. Durable.

B)Unless we're looking at a one year rebuild we won't be good quick enough to take advantage of his skills. A second or first even would be huge to a team with needs almost everywhere.

This is one where I'd want to be in the building and get a feel for where we're going. If we think we'll have a QB, team to compete than obviously he stays. If we're not in love with the QB class or don't think we can get up to get one. DL/WR not touch enough in FA. I'd sell.

I wouldn't mind having him in our team. With a bit luck and Alex health on its right place he might be a good bridge QB.

I wouldn't mind having him in our team. With a bit luck and Alex health on its right place he might be a good bridge QB.

Unless something was happening with a vet that I (were I Bill) liked (quiet talks with SF over Jimmy G, Mariota, etc.), I'd grab up Smith in a heartbeat.

I always liked the guy's game, as a game manager, which is the style BB seems to prefer. Would love him as a bridge, and having him would certainly help in getting WR or TE FAs.

Not the player he used to be of course, but he should've been an integral part of the Second Dynasty for almost the entire decade...If his salary expectations are somewhat low, and ass-uming that a couple of talented yutes are also added, then he would at least be an Upgrayedd over Damiere Byrd in that role...

Last edited:
"Stout" at +/- 300 lbs?

Dude's an old school, First Dynasty 3-4 DE who has no place in our updated 2-4 front.

No thanks.
Unless, Bill has figured out that they’re just going to continue being run on if he continues with the undersized fronts.

I go back and forth.

A)He's still a top 5-10 CB depending on the day. Scheme diverse, can play in any system and play well. Quiet, no problems and competes very hard. Durable.

B)Unless we're looking at a one year rebuild we won't be good quick enough to take advantage of his skills. A second or first even would be huge to a team with needs almost everywhere.

This is one where I'd want to be in the building and get a feel for where we're going. If we think we'll have a QB, team to compete than obviously he stays. If we're not in love with the QB class or don't think we can get up to get one. DL/WR not touch enough in FA. I'd sell.
If we trade Gilmore because we aren't going to the Super Bowl, we might as well dump McCourty, Chung, and others we don't expect to be serious contributors in 2022. That simply isn't the Patriot Way. Kraft and Belichick believing in being competitive and trying for the playoffs each year.

If we trade Gilmore because we aren't going to the Super Bowl, we might as well dump McCourty, Chung, and others we don't expect to be serious contributors in 2022. That simply isn't the Patriot Way. Kraft and Belichick believing in being competitive and trying for the playoffs each year.
How competitive were we last year without a QB?

No one is giving up anything for Chung and DMC isn't fetching anything close to value.

Also no one is saying trade everyone. Gilmore makes sense bc he actually has value that could help next year. And again unless we're looking at an immediate turnaround his play/age don't add up with our rebuild timeline.

A commentator was talking about Sean Payton and the Watson trade. The commentator said with Payton there was never a rebuild year. I thought of BB and the word "rebuild" is probably not in his vocabulary.

Ummm, they don't have a QB!

I go back and forth.

In the building you'd probably get business as usual: extension offer from Pats, if not taken open doors for trade, if trade offer meets value its taken if not you stay with the player until the next deadline (beginning of season/mid season deadline).

What could make this case a bit more nuanced is JC situation. If there is no extension to either and they both play in contract year drafting CB becomes even more of an option.

In any case Pats will be big players in next FA again and they can address lockdown corner then..

Id prefer he stays - he is the main anchor of this D making other player's job easier..

cold cold business unfortunately . but could've been handled better..

Andrews is gone.

Huge investment in 34y old player by cap strangled team for some stability around Hurts..
Andrews is somewhere smiling..

Because he's not coming back at <<$7M like some suggested. Someone will pay him more.

He already has a couple of rings and knows he's not getting one this year. He's only 28 and has a chance to get a 3/4 year big money contract.

The question is why would he stay?

No ones handing out term and dollars to a guy who missed an entire year with a life threatening injury

No ones handing out term and dollars to a guy who missed an entire year with a life threatening injury
That can be controlled with medication. I had DVT several years ago and it stabilizes after treatment. It doesn't affect his play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call