PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 6 game starting BS in 7 years is asinine because you don't count the time he was sitting behind Brady. Next, Jimmy is a very "stable" asset. He knows the system they have there. He's a starting quality QB who can hold the fort until the Rookie can take over. It's no different than the Colts paying Brissett starter money last year despite also having Rivers.

Clearly it's not as simple as you would have everyone believe. Not to mention that you've failed to say what the 49ers would do for a Vet QB. Beathard signed with another team and Rosen is unproven.
The best ability is availability, and Jimmy’s been hurt too often while under contract with the Niners. Only one healthy season in three years so far, and he has missed significant time those two other years (I’m not counting 2017 since he was traded to SF halfway through the season and didn’t get a chance to start until Beathard went down). I think that’s an important factor you are rather conveniently overlooking.

I’m on board with bringing Jimmy. Health risks and all I still prefer him over Cam. I do think he’s a fit for this offense. But let’s be real about what his worth is. It is not for the money the Niners signed him to, that is for certain. You bring him in hoping, but not expecting, a full year out of him. They may even need to hold on to Cam for that reason. As for who the Niners replace him with, there’s always an Alex Smith reunion if they just need a veteran backup.

Last edited:
Just stop. The 49ers still have more than 19M in cap space. So saying they "need" to free it up is erroneous at best. Especially since they have 76 players under contract and just traded away 2 picks this year. It's in their best interest to keep him as a mentor to the rookie than to cut/trade him.
Then what are we arguing about then? If the Niners need to hold on to Jimmy then why are we even entertaining the idea of them letting him go? Help me understand.

the pressure is on Cinci right now........if atlanta trades down, all of the sudden the 5 pick is anyone they want who isn't a QB lol

the pressure is on Cinci right now........if atlanta trades down, all of the sudden the 5 pick is anyone they want who isn't a QB lol
Sewell easily. He’s considered by many pundits to be the best overall draft prospect other than Lawrence. He’s comfortably the best left tackle prospect in a draft with a handful of first round grade guys at the position. The Bengals need to protect their main asset in Burrows. Makes the most sense.

Sewell easily. He’s considered by many pundits to be the best overall draft prospect other than Lawrence. He’s comfortably the best left tackle prospect in a draft with a handful of first round grade guys at the position. The Bengals need to protect their main asset in Burrows. Makes the most sense.

Which is why it will probably be Pitts or a WR. Because the bungles are the bungles

CAR is next, trading for #4 with ATL
If the falcons want to do business with a division rival. Would you want to be known as the team who let another team in your division get their franchise qb?

If the falcons want to do business with a division rival. Would you want to be known as the team who let another team in your division get their franchise qb?
Good point but they only move down 4 spots and can fleece them as desperate as they are.

This trade means Jimmy G is going to be available soon. If not this season, then at least next season for sure. Maybe we ride with cam for one more year and then make a run at Jimmy next offseason.

problem is Jimmy will be 30 next year...
True, but I wouldn’t too concerned with his age. Rich Gannon didn’t become a perennial Pro Bowl QB until his age 34 season. Steve Young sat behind the former GOAT (not unlike Jimmy and the current GOAT) and didn’t become a star until age 31. Trent Green became one of the AFC’s best QBs in his mid-30s. I’m a believer in Jimmy’s ability to be a dependable QB for years to come provided he can be more durable than he’s shown so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back