PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats why possible overpay for Agholor and Bourne has value in such market. 2y and 3y deals give them leverage in next - much stronger market offseason - with some insurance at the position. They just didnt want to go barren into next FA..
I have no issue with what we paid agholor. (And we paid Bourne peanuts).
Belichick had a plan. He needed to strike across the board fast so he didn’t get left out. Making sure you get you guys even if the prices drop later is better than missing out and having a few extra million to spend and no one to spend it on

Thid was the first time in belichicks career that Free agency was going to define his team. He attacked it. Like a GOAT.
The losers can Monday morning qb about minor details in an all out assault that acquired half of his starting squad, plus a lot of depth too.

Juju back to Pittsburgh on a one year $8 million deal. I think the receiver market might be hit the hardest by the shrunken salary cap.
It seems to be a combination of:
  • This year's crop of FA WRs are more like WR 1.5 rather than WR1
  • Yet they want to paid like WR1
  • And they want short deals so they can get another bite
I know it’s a running joke now.... but here’s an interesting article about Kenny Moore that was just published, who noted how he hated football in his 2017 training camp here.
You can’t break Kenny Moore

And general insight from Tavon Wilson in that article.... basically their culture is really hard on rookies and new players, almost with the intention to break them. Once you get over the hump, it’s the most fun place you can play for, but many people just can’t get over that hump.
Good luck getting the media to convey nuance, what comes through is "players hate Bill"...

juju’s an annoying asshat so it’s probably best he stays with the steelers

I guess, but Trufant was the worst corner on the Lions last year....

It is likely that Patricia recommended to BB that they bring him in for a visit. It is safe to assume that he has a much better handle on Trufant the player at this point in his career, and what may have gone wrong last year, than anyone here.

Question. Was is Juju Smith-Schusters given name?

Answer: John Smith.

Juju is a nickname and schuster was his grandfather name that he added to his own.

Is it? The football fit is good considering the Steelers have one or two guys who can be the #1 ahead of him and allow JuJu to feast on lesser cornerbacks. He could have gone to a team that expected him to be their Randy Moss and that would have ended a lot worse for him (and the Steelers).

It is likely that Patricia recommended to BB that they bring him in for a visit. It is safe to assume that he has a much better handle on Trufant the player at this point in his career, and what may have gone wrong last year, than anyone here.
The key is the role. There are many players that are fine in a specific role but brutal if you need more from them.

Like this QB in know who is an awesome running with the ball in short yardage situations but makes you want to vomit when he drops back to pass.

So far BB has been going young with multiple contract years in FA....very good idea. Not a fan of signing 30+ yr old players at this point. I'd prefer a rook or someone still on their rook contract over Trufant...who would be CB4+.

So far BB has been going young with multiple contract years in FA....very good idea. Not a fan of signing 30+ yr old players at this point. I'd prefer a rook or someone still on their rook contract over Trufant...who would be CB4+.
Zuma, what are your thoughts on bringing J. McCourty back, he's older but knows the system and is a good leader? Could probably get him at a reasonable price.

Zuma, what are your thoughts on bringing J. McCourty back, he's older but knows the system and is a good leader? Could probably get him at a reasonable price.

But I am in favor of 30+ yr old J. McCourty lol....because he already knows the system and we know he can perform at a high level in it. But I think I would trade Gilmore for a WR, QB or a draft pick if JMAC came back....and sign JC Jackson.

Is it? The football fit is good considering the Steelers have one or two guys who can be the #1 ahead of him and allow JuJu to feast on lesser cornerbacks. He could have gone to a team that expected him to be their Randy Moss and that would have ended a lot worse for him (and the Steelers).

well on the plus side, he will start running his mouth again after they get a few wins and look like idiots shortly after. From an entertainment perspective i prefer this way :)

If he can stay healthy this year, that 5th year option is guaranteed. Wouldn’t be surprised if we draft at least 2 more tackles as insurance. With Brown and Wynn coming up on getting paid soon, OL is gonna cost the team a ton of money real quick!
They have to decide on it before the season starts.

I get all of that and it could be a nice reclamation project. For me, he already started to decline in 2019 with ATL. If they sign him to a cheap, one year deal, i‘d be okay with it. But as i said i would like to see our young guys already on the roster to get a chance for the #4 spot.

But I am in favor of 30+ yr old J. McCourty lol....because he already knows the system and we know he can perform at a high level in it. But I think I would trade Gilmore for a WR, QB or a draft pick if JMAC came back....and sign JC Jackson.
If we are brining back talent, how about the WR we sill search for as Damiere Byrd, 47 Catches at over 12 yards per pop. 61% catch rate from Cam the erratic one. The kid has 4.27 speed. He played in all 16 games. We misused him .....but for a sore arm QB. He's only 28.
He knows the system.
DW Toys

The key is the role. There are many players that are fine in a specific role but brutal if you need more from them.

Like this QB in know who is an awesome running with the ball in short yardage situations but makes you want to vomit when he drops back to pass.

He is a 6 foot tall CB, who ran a 4.38 forty at the combine....and a 6.67 3 cone. How could Bill not bring him in with those numbers? :)

He’s still only 30. Maybe he wasn’t fully healthy last year, even before the hammy injury ended his season.

If we are brining back talent, how about the WR we sill search for as Damiere Byrd, 47 Catches at over 12 yards per pop. 61% catch rate from Cam the erratic one. The kid has 4.27 speed. He played in all 16 games. We misused him .....but for a sore arm QB. He's only 28.
He knows the system.
DW Toys
I wouldn’t hate it
But I’d prefer someone with more production and or upside.

He knows the system.
DW Toys
Absolutely...600 yards in 16 games last year...I'll take that again. I do think they need another WR to finish out that group.

Question. Was is Juju Smith-Schusters given name?

Answer: John Smith.

Juju is a nickname and schuster was his grandfather name that he added to his own.
It was his step father’s name not his grandfather but otherwise spot on. I had to look it up after, didn’t even know before. Thanks for the trivia that’s cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back