PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Juju back to Pittsburgh on a one year $8 million deal. I think the receiver market might be hit the hardest by the shrunken salary cap.

Looks like most of the top WRs are just looking for one year deals and then hitting the market next year.

Juju back to Pittsburgh on a one year $8 million deal. I think the receiver market might be hit the hardest by the shrunken salary cap.
Yeah, the combination of a lower cap and a strong WR draft class (3rd or 4th in a row) has brutal for receivers. Juju was projected at ~$17 million

It's funny. Last year, TE and LB might have been the Pats' two weakest positions. This year, it could their two biggest strengths.

I guess, but Trufant was the worst corner on the Lions last year....

Trufant as the #1 or #2 absolutely not. But Trufant as the #3 or #4? if the money is low, maybe. If there is still something left of him Belichick would be able to get it out of him. He was solid in '18 & '19.

Who thought Stephon Gilmore of the Buffalo Bills would ever win DPOY of the year? No one. But Stephon Gilmore of the NE Pats has.

Story of this FA . stay where you feel most comfortable and wait for a better yr

Yeah, Steelers were probably the best choice to put up good stats and get paid next year. At KC, don't know what your target share is with Hill and Kelce. At Ravens, will be spending a lot of time run blocking

There's something I just don't quite trust yet about the Browns... though people were saying the same thing about the Pats in the early 2000's before it finally sunk in that they were for real now. Still, I'm wary of teams that are historically bad then have a "breakout" year. Even if they continue to trend upwards, they tend to have a down year first while they acclimate to having more attention paid to them. Any team can put in the work and stay motivated for a season when they're getting a taste of success for the first time. Once you realize you have to put in that same work (and more) EVERY year, some of those guys get weeded out.

They're a great young team. Let's see them put two years in a row together and then I'm all in.
I get your point, but they have been trending. That obviously doesn't refute your point, but I think it's worth noting. It's something to keep in mind when looking at your position and guessing as to whether or not they are likely to give you that second year you need. Here's how their wins have gone:

So, after years of terrible play, they bottomed out and then began improving. Are they do for another flat year, like 2019, or a down year? Maybe, but I don't think it's a lock. Looking at their schedule this year, they get the AFCW and NFCN, the Patriots, Texans and Cardinals. That's not going to be the easiest schedule, but it's not shaping up to be a murderer's row, either.

Last edited:
Ok, let's say they are both below 30 then (not necessarily my view but I can roll with it). It makes the difference between them even more insignificant. So... same thing, when it comes to expected wins and losses.
No it does not at all. If I call a pass play and the receiver is open and newton bounces the pass any competent Qb gives me a chance to win. If I call a pass okay abs the receiver is open but Newton waits too long to throw it (which happens dozens of times last year) any competent qb gives me a better chance to win
If protection breaks down and instead of taking a sack, or trying to escape newton throws the ball into the chest of the rusher 4 feet in front of him and competent qb gives me a better chance to win.
If newton were not mobile and contributed as a running back, he would probably be the worst QB on a roster not just the worst starter. (And by the way at the stage Mariota is a better runner)
If you replace him with an untalented QB who just makes the safe decision and throws the ball accurately this offense improves by leaps and bounds. He is that bad.

And the good crop of WRs in the draft.

I guess some team, especially with the shrunken cap, prefer to draft and develop one than to spend an insane amount of money on a WR.

Trufant as the #1 or #2 absolutely not. But Trufant as the #3 or #4? if the money is low, maybe. If there is still something left of him Belichick would be able to get it out of him. He was solid in '18 & '19.

Who thought Stephon Gilmore of the Buffalo Bills would ever win DPOY of the year? No one. But Stephon Gilmore of the NE Pats has.
A lot of people knew how good Gilmore was

Last edited:

I know it’s a running joke now.... but here’s an interesting article about Kenny Moore that was just published, who noted how he hated football in his 2017 training camp here.
You can’t break Kenny Moore

And general insight from Tavon Wilson in that article.... basically their culture is really hard on rookies and new players, almost with the intention to break them. Once you get over the hump, it’s the most fun place you can play for, but many people just can’t get over that hump.

A lot of people knew his good Gilmore was

Ya but no one thought he was DPOY good and it's not like Trufant has always sucked, had a ****e year last year (Lions gonna Lions) but had been pretty solid his whole career. And with Patricia here, i'd assume he'd have insight on much of his year last season. If he wasn't worth checking on i'd imagine Patricia would have told Belichick.

I agree with that. For me, i would like to see them giving a chance to Myles Bryant to get that #4 spot.

Wynn's CAP is 3.6 million - less than they just paid Ted Karras.

It'd be $11 next year if optioned - for LEFT TACKLE.
If he can stay healthy this year, that 5th year option is guaranteed. Wouldn’t be surprised if we draft at least 2 more tackles as insurance. With Brown and Wynn coming up on getting paid soon, OL is gonna cost the team a ton of money real quick!

Looks like most of the top WRs are just looking for one year deals and then hitting the market next year.

Thats why possible overpay for Agholor and Bourne has value in such market. 2y and 3y deals give them leverage in next - much stronger market offseason - with some insurance at the position. They just didnt want to go barren into next FA..

I don't get the Juju decision. If he wants to establish his value for next FA, why go to a team that has inferior QB and too many receiving options? Him in KC would've gotten him paid next year.

Ya but no one thought he was DPOY good and it's not like Trufant has always sucked, had a ****e year last year (Lions gonna Lions) but had been pretty solid his whole career. And with Patricia here, i'd assume he'd have insight on much of his year last season. If he wasn't worth checking on i'd imagine Patricia would have told Belichick.
I don’t think in terms of voted awards but Gilmore’s talent was always evident and the way he plays is not a shock at all.
You can never have too many dbs. Especially if the veterans are in for low guaranteed money and fighting for a roster spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back