PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can find good center later in the draft. The fact is that if we lose Andrews Bill will probably bring Karras back.

Because a top QB is $30m, a top WR is 18m, a top CB is 15m, a top LT is 16+m, and a top C is...less.

Because they can find a C in free agency or later in the draft. It’s not a first round position.

While I think this line of logic is very real in the context of free agency/contracts (it's why I was against paying Thuney all that money to play center), I think it's different when we're talking about the draft. Unless you're picking very early in the 1st round, the cap hit of whoever you draft is going to be the least of your front office's problems. You could get 4-5 years of a very good player at a reasonable financial cost, and personally, that sounds like a justified pick to me even if the second contract never happens.

It might be an irrelevant discussion though for a number of reasons. We could just sign Andrews back. There may not be any centers worth a first round pick. My ideal draft would have a QB as the first selection, but after that, C is as good a position to target as any.

We have "threads" and a "thread ignore" feature, and the community should respect others independent of their personal "feelings". If you want to be part of the PatsFans community you have to put the collective rules ahead of your manhood and righteous ideals when posting.
Okay, but why are you singling me out and not the people who brought the topic into this thread in the first place, or the ones who have kept it going past my last post on it? Be consistent. Literally all of what you're saying applies to multiple others here, and you don't seem to care about them.

Just as an FYI for those who are wondering. I think he also assumes the Pats tender JC Jackson but I’m not sure if at a 1st or 2nd round level.
Edit: he’s assuming it’s a 1st.

Agree.

Save for Andrews, my gut tells me the NEP are done for now (I have no idea obviously) and will sit back and let the market settle. If they find players willing to come off their price and looking for a home before the draft then they might pounce.

Rest of the roster will be filled with draftees, UFAs, small trades and red tag sale items.
Yeah I would be fine with tha. Some low Level FA at positions of need for depth competition with little guaranteed whpm they could cut after TC. Maybe C/Edge/DT

• DESHAUN WATSONQB, HOUSTON TEXANS

The Athletic's Joseph Person reports the Panthers "are locked" on acquiring Deshaun Watson.​

Person quoted an executive with an NFL team that has closely monitored the quarterback market who said Carolina remains focused on trading for Watson, 25, who desperately wants out of Houston. Person said "Watson looks to be Plan A, B and C" for the Panthers and the team's owner, David Tepper. Person expected Tepper and the Carolina front office to be as aggressive as any team interested in landing Watson, with "three first-round picks the likely starting point" in trade talks. Carolina has $29.8 million in cap room after a series of roster cuts and the restructuring of Christian McCaffrey's and Shaq Thompson's contracts. The Texans remain dug in on keeping Watson, but it would seem the Panthers are among the favorites to acquire the QB if Houston relents.
    RELATED:
  • SOURCE: The Athletic
    Mar 17, 2021, 9:17 AM ET

I have actually come around on this... Looking at his contract again, I think it's going to look like a decent value as the cap goes up. Deshaun is only 25 years old. I would do three first rounders...

Just as an FYI for those who are wondering. I think he also assumes the Pats tender JC Jackson but I’m not sure if at a 1st or 2nd round level.

I've seen Miguel count our RFA/ERFA toward the roster limit, but not sure about whether he's factored them into the cap yet.

I'll be very upset if we don't give Jackson the 1st round tender.

While I think this line of logic is very real in the context of free agency/contracts (it's why I was against paying Thuney all that money to play center), I think it's different when we're talking about the draft. Unless you're picking very early in the 1st round, the cap hit of whoever you draft is going to be the least of your front office's problems. You could get 4-5 years of a very good player at a reasonable financial cost, and personally, that sounds like a justified pick to me even if the second contract never happens.

It might be an irrelevant discussion though for a number of reasons. We could just sign Andrews back. There may not be any centers worth a first round pick. My ideal draft would have a QB as the first selection, but after that, C is as good a position to target as any.
Very good centers get picked on day 3. They have low draft value. It doesn’t make sense to overvalue a position that falls because of that.
There are other free agents available and a few will probably be cut. We’ve never really been more than mediocre at the position so I don’t see the priority changing.

Offense (24)

Quarterback (2): QB, Cam Newton
Running back (4): Damien Harris, Sony Michel, J.J. Taylor, RB
Fullback (2): Jakob Johnson, Dalton Keene
Tight end (3): Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry, Devin Asiasi
Wide receiver (5): WR, Julian Edelman, Nelson Agholor, Kendrick Bourne, Jakobi Meyers | Nkeal Harry*
Offensive line (8): (C/iOL): Isaiah Wynn (LT/LG), Trent Brown (RT/LT), Shaq Mason (RG), Mike Onwenu (G/RT), Justin Herron (OT), Yodny Cajuste (OT)

Defense (21)

DL (5): Davon Godchaux, Henry Anderson, Byron Cowart, Beau Allen, Deatrich Wise
Linebacker (6): Dont'a Hightower, Matthew Judon, ILB, Chase Winovich, Josh Uche, Anfernee Jennings | Ja'Whaun Bentley*
Cornerback (5): Stephon Gilmore, J.C. Jackson, Jonathan Jones, Joejuan Williams, CB
Safety (5): Devin McCourty, Adrian Phillips, Patrick Chung, Kyle Dugger, Jalen Mills

ST(4): Matthew Slater, Brandon Bolden, Justin Bethel, Brandon King
PR/KR: (1): Gunner Olszewski
K (1):
P (1): Jake Bailey
LS (1): Joe Cordona

Priorities: QB, RB, WR, ILB, CB, iOL, C, K

Leave 8m for cushion, picks and PS.

1) We have 12.25m +-
Resign Andrews 5/45 (5/7/9/11/13)
2) We have now 7.25m +-
Resign Folk 2/6 (2.25/3.75)
Extend Gilmore and HT
Sign another WR

Trade Nkeal -> Early (#4) and Bentley (2022 #3)

Priorities: QB (Move up #7 -> trade 2021 #1 / 2022 #1 and #3/ 2023 #3), RB (#4), ILB (#2), CB (#3), iOL (#4)

Edit: he’s assuming it’s a 1st.

So leaving 3-5 for rookies, etc, 24-26 is still a decent chunk, but we need a center.

Okay, but why are you singling me out and not the people who brought the topic into this thread in the first place, or the ones who have kept it going past my last post on it? Be consistent. Literally all of what you're saying applies to multiple others here, and you don't seem to care about them.
Sure, but typically, there are several Centers who grade similarly and last until the mid-late rounds. Andrews was an UDFA. UDFA LTs aren't likely, because of the sheer physical requirements there.

I've seen Miguel count our RFA/ERFA toward the roster limit, but not sure about whether he's factored them into the cap yet.

I'll be very upset if we don't give Jackson the 1st round tender.
I think he has, although not with Johnson, because his tender is now under the top-51 level, so no longer even counts against the cap.

He has the Pats putting a 1st-round tender on JC Jackson.

A second round tender and letting another team negotiate a longterm contract that we just match -- there is no structure we cant match financially speaking -- is also fine with me.
I don’t necessarily think that the Patriots view Jackson as a long term solution. If another team will try to sign him long term with a big contract, I am not sure Bill will match.

probably closer to $10-15 million if you take into account trent brown's cap hit of $14 million
We don't know what his new cap hit is yet, but it's not $14 million. The maximum value is reported at $11 million, but it will likely come in quite a bit lower than that due to NLTBE incentives since he only played 5 games and 26% of the offensive snaps last season.

probably closer to $10-15 million if you take into account trent brown's cap hit of $14 million
I should have read his bottom line, didn't see that part. So yeah it could be closer to 15 before rookies.

A second round tender and letting another team negotiate a longterm contract that we just match -- there is no structure we cant match financially speaking -- is also fine with me.

When you put it that way, it doesn't sound so bad, but it does introduce a higher level of uncertainty. Who's to say we don't just let him walk and take the pick? I'd at least want it to be a 1, and a couple million on the cap seems a small price to pay for that insurance.

It's essentially a 1 year $14.5 million deal, with a team option for a second year at $7.5 million
That's too much for Agholor in a depressed WR market, but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back