PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: April Edition

We could still use a #3 Outside CB here too, Bill...
Perhaps Belichick has heard you and replaced Jason McCourty. Belichick is paying our new corner $6M a year, $9M guaranteed.

So, we have Gilmore, Jackson, Jones and Mills. At safety, we have McCourty, Phillips and Dugger.

So, yes maybe our backups to these 7 aren't good enough. But, I suspect that Williams and Bryant are fine as our 8th and 9th DB's.

Perhaps Belichick has heard you and replaced Jason McCourty. Belichick is paying our new corner $6M a year, $9M guaranteed.

So, we have Gilmore, Jackson, Jones and Mills. At safety, we have McCourty, Phillips and Dugger.

So, yes maybe our backups to these 7 aren't good enough. But, I suspect that Williams and Bryant are fine as our 8th and 9th DB's.

I don't think that Mills is a viable outside corner, even as a #3...He was mostly used as a FS last year in Philthy and played CB mainly under injury circumstances...

And SloJuan Williams just plain sucks...I know it, you know it, we all know it...

I don't think that Mills is a viable outside corner, even as a #3...He was mostly used as a FS last year in Philthy and played CB mainly under injury circumstances...

And SloJuan Williams just plain sucks...I know it, you know it, we all know it...

I agree. Mills on the outside would be a huge mistake.

I agree. Mills on the outside would be a huge mistake.
Might I ask why you think that we haven't signed a corner? Do you think that he is fine with the backups we have? Who would be the FIRST player in off the bench?

Was just listening to Evan Lazar and Alex Barth on a podcast. They mentioned that Mills stood out as a deep safety in yesterday’s OTA. Of course, DMac wasn’t present, but, listening to them talk about how Mills was used in the practice, I think the coaches see him as a more versatile Duron Harmon type and the eventual replacement for McCourty rather than an outside CB.

The outside CB who interests me is Michael Jackson. The Pats traded for him from the Lions and from media reports he looked good in training camp until he was injured. They might see him as the 3rd outside corner which might explain why they didn’t address that area in FA or the draft.

Was just listening to Evan Lazar and Alex Barth on a podcast. They mentioned that Mills stood out as a deep safety in yesterday’s OTA. Of course, DMac wasn’t present, but, listening to them talk about how Mills was used in the practice, I think the coaches see him as a more versatile Duron Harmon type and the eventual replacement for McCourty rather than an outside CB.

The outside CB who interests me is Michael Jackson. The Pats traded for him from the Lions and from media reports he looked good in training camp until he was injured. They might see him as the 3rd outside corner which might explain why they didn’t address that area in FA or the draft.
I understand that Mills might be the 2022 replacement for Devin McCourty.

Now, let's talk about 2021. We have 3 safeties with their roles. McCourty plays on over 95% of reps. Mills being paid $6M to be his backup seems excessive.

So, the choice will come. We want an additional corner in the game. Perhaps, we want a 4th corner. Perhaps, Gilmore or JC is injured.

OPTION ONE
Williams :)

OPTION TWO
Michael Jackson

OPTION THREE
Miles Bryant

QUESTION
Which of the above do we even want making the 53 man roster?

MY CHOICE
Mills, the flexible defensive back that we pay $6M a year.

Might I ask why you think that we haven't signed a corner? Do you think that he is fine with the backups we have? Who would be the FIRST player in off the bench?

I think he views dee virgin and Michael Jackson as better players than anything he could have gotten in the draft.

I think he views dee virgin and Michael Jackson as better players than anything he could have gotten in the draft.

Dre Kirkpatrick is still available and he visited the Pats about a month ago. There might be a veteran FA brought in still.

Dre Kirkpatrick is still available and he visited the Pats about a month ago. There might be a veteran FA brought in still.

I hope we bring in a veteran free agent.

Right now who starts for us if Gilmore or Jackson gets hurt?

I hope we bring in a veteran free agent.

Right now who starts for us if Gilmore or Jackson gets hurt?

Agreed. Maybe M Jackson is the answer - he was around all of last year, but there is no way for us to know. Otherwise I assume we brought in Dre Kirkpatrick in May because there will be a FA joining (if M Jackson was convincing why bring in a FA for a work out?). Kirkpatrick has not signed anywhere else, so I assume he is negotiating with the Pats. He is an Alabama alumni, and 31 years old, so he does not need OTAs and would fit in the locker room.

I have no logical explanation why Bill hasn't signed Even One UFA CB...Our depth there, same as our depth at OL, is a mile wide but an inch thick.

I understand that Mills might be the 2022 replacement for Devin McCourty.

Now, let's talk about 2021. We have 3 safeties with their roles. McCourty plays on over 95% of reps. Mills being paid $6M to be his backup seems excessive.

So, the choice will come. We want an additional corner in the game. Perhaps, we want a 4th corner. Perhaps, Gilmore or JC is injured.

OPTION ONE
Williams :)

OPTION TWO
Michael Jackson

OPTION THREE
Miles Bryant

QUESTION
Which of the above do we even want making the 53 man roster?

MY CHOICE
Mills, the flexible defensive back that we pay $6M a year.

Based on those options, and for the bidding-against-themselves money they're paying him, then yeah Mills is my choice too...

I have no logical explanation why Bill hasn't signed Even One UFA CB...Our depth there, same as our depth at OL, is a mile wide but an inch thick.
My guess is BB is saving cap space to see how the Julio Jones story works out. Note that they haven't signed any of their high draft picks.

Well that is impressive. There are very few 4.26 guys. John Ross ran a 4.22, so Hall is as fast as they go!!! Of course John Ross has never been a All Pro, but there is now a lot of speed across from Agholor if Hall (or Nixon) makes the team.
Agholor is the only fast receiver that should be expected to make the roster. I would be thrilled if Hall or Nixon come through, but they are both long shots which leaves the position short on speed. Agholor will draw safety attention but everyone else is short-middle. Stll like to see another fast guy on game day.

Agholor is the only fast receiver that should be expected to make the roster. I would be thrilled if Hall or Nixon come through, but they are both long shots which leaves the position short on speed. Agholor will draw safety attention but everyone else is short-middle. Stll like to see another fast guy on game day.

I agree completely but I am not sure we are correct statistically. Kind of like the posters that wants 3 fatties in the middle of the D line but forget we play the nickel the most because it is a passing league. With 22 players on the field there are a lot of combinations and a lot of field space in the short and intermediate areas where passes have a much higher completion percentage.

My guess is BB is saving cap space to see how the Julio Jones story works out. Note that they haven't signed any of their high draft picks.
Yes, Julio has put any other patriots major transactions on hold, including trades and extensions.

Based on those options, and for the bidding-against-themselves money they're paying him, then yeah Mills is my choice too...
To be clear, I'm fine with adding a CB as an upgrade to our top 7 defensive backs.

As of now, I have us a PICK TWO from Williams., Michael Jackson, Virgin, Bledsoe and Bryant and Ross.

I'm OK with one or two of these on the 53. I'd also be fine with none of them on the 53.

The bottom line is that we have 7 defensive backs, and no real backups in case of injury. In addition, 4 are free agents next year: Gilmore, Jackson, McCourty, and Phillips (leaving only Dugger, Jones and Mills).

To be clear, I'm fine with adding a CB as an upgrade to our top 7 defensive backs.

As of now, I have us a PICK TWO from Williams., Michael Jackson, Virgin, Bledsoe and Bryant and Ross.

I'm OK with one or two of these on the 53. I'd also be fine with none of them on the 53.

The bottom line is that we have 7 defensive backs, and no real backups in case of injury. In addition, 4 are free agents next year: Gilmore, Jackson, McCourty, and Phillips (leaving only Dugger, Jones and Mills).
And out of that group, I think I’d take Bryant honestly.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back