PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: April Edition

The more I dive into QB stuff the more I start to like Mond. He just needs a lot of polish... he makes a lot of sense mentoring under Cam for 1 year... I think NE should spend the 2nd on him and go for a guy like Waddle or Parsons in the 1st. If they don’t like how it went they can probably revert back to getting Jimmy as a free agent next year.

The more I dive into QB stuff the more I start to like Mond. He just needs a lot of polish... he makes a lot of sense mentoring under Cam for 1 year... I think NE should spend the 2nd on him and go for a guy like Waddle or Parsons in the 1st. If they don’t like how it went they can probably revert back to getting Jimmy as a free agent next year.

I think this is right,

I do not know who they are looking at as the day 2 qb they are targeting, but getting a really good player in the first round is a priority.

Looks like Deshaun Watson's days in Houston are coming to a close. The Texans have been in contact with Alex Smith about signing. While nothing is imminent, that can change quickly.. (I think that Watson get's dealt on Draft day)..

Looks like Deshaun Watson's days in Houston are coming to a close. The Texans have been in contact with Alex Smith about signing. While nothing is imminent, that can change quickly.. (I think that Watson get's dealt on Draft day)..

I think at this point odds are that Watson will land on the commissioner exempt list. What kind of value can the Texans get out of him if he might have already played his final down as a pro.

Texans would of looked genious trading Watson for a boat load of picks. Now, not so much.

As far as Pollard coming back? F him. He could break his neck getting out of bed and I would not give him a second of sympathy.

Texans waited too long stubbornly holding on to him when he had already made up his mind. Now this comes out and the Texans may end up with nothing to show for it except seeing their franchise player disgraced (if found guilty). No chance to get back the draft capital they stupidly gave up for Tunsil. Cut the greatest player in their franchise’s history in JJ Watt and got nothing in return rather than trading for something. Traded away arguably the top WR in the NFL in Hopkins and got next to nothing in return. Now it’s up in the air what Watson’s future will be, and whatever it is, his trade value will never be what it could’ve been if they had been as quick to trade him as they were Hopkins. Imagine if the Pats traded everything for this guy and then this crap happens. It would’ve been 2019 AB but with an even bigger headache.

Texans waited too long stubbornly holding on to him when he had already made up his mind. Now this comes out and the Texans may end up with nothing to show for it except seeing their franchise player disgraced (if found guilty). No chance to get back the draft capital they stupidly gave up for Tunsil. Cut the greatest player in their franchise’s history in JJ Watt and got nothing in return rather than trading for something. Traded away arguably the top WR in the NFL in Hopkins and got next to nothing in return. Now it’s up in the air what Watson’s future will be, and whatever it is, his trade value will never be what it could’ve been if they had been as quick to trade him as they were Hopkins. Imagine if the Pats traded everything for this guy and then this crap happens. It would’ve been 2019 AB but with an even bigger headache.
It would of been 24/7 news splooge had the Patriots acquired him and that happened.

I agreed Caserio ignoring Watson was the right thing to do since most players cave. But, I didn't see this happening. I don't see Watson playing this year since the NFL lives by "guilty until proven innocent".

Texans would of looked genious trading Watson for a boat load of picks. Now, not so much.
Perfect time for bb to swoop in and take this problem off of caserio for pennies on the dollar!

plus bb can give the Texans stidham as a going away present!

I sense sarcasm. What’s this in reference to if I might ask?
Sure. First, the Texans had all the leverage. Second, absent the massage stuff which, at least from what we've learned so far, came out of the blue, there would still be plenty of time for the Texans to make a trade bringing back great returns.

I think at this point odds are that Watson will land on the commissioner exempt list. What kind of value can the Texans get out of him if he might have already played his final down as a pro.
Whatever it is we should pay it.

Sure. First, the Texans had all the leverage. Second, absent the massage stuff which, at least from what we've learned so far, came out of the blue, there would still be plenty of time for the Texans to make a trade bringing back great returns.
Gotcha. The Texans had the leverage, and were within their right to decide how they’d proceed. It just seemed really odd how Watson could go from signing a huge 4-year extension last fall, to desperately wanting out of Houston. Put pen to paper even though BoB was still there acting as HC and GM, after already trading away Watson’s favorite receiver for pennies on the dollar. Supposedly it was him not being included in the decision making process when hiring BoB’s replacements that sealed it for him. I would’ve thought the Texans would seek to resolve it while more teams had yet to fill their quarterback spots. There was no way for the Texans to have seen this coming, it’s just that them playing the waiting game appears to have backfired for now.

Whatever it is we should pay it.
Well, honestly, it might not be the worst move. They’d have to do some digging to determine what the actual likely severity is - if they feel it’ll ultimately be shown to not be as bad as it looks now a year from now, they can park him behind Cam and then he can start and rehabilitate his public image next year.

Of course it’s probably pretty hard to say at this point, and it’s highly dependent on what the cost would be. Beyond that, I just don’t see it happening if only because of the somewhat similar issue Kraft faced which was too recent.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back