PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: April Edition

Tom Curran makes the relevant point about Atlanta:

On the surface, trying to find the successor for 36-year-old quarterback Matt Ryan seemed to make sense. Quarterbacks going to the Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Jets, Niners and Falcons seemed possible.​
Not so fast, my friend. The insane cap numbers for Ryan the next few years make him nearly impossible to trade and – more importantly – nearly impossible to sit. So if the Falcons were to take a quarterback this year, he’d almost certainly be on the sideline until 2023 while Ryan and his cap hits of $27M, $49M and $44M played on.​

The Falcons would only save 8M against the cap by cutting Ryan in 2022, but they'd save $28M if they cut him in 2023. With the cap expected to jump pretty significantly each of the next 2 years because of the TV contracts, I wouldn't be surprised if he retired was cut in 2023.

Like DaBruinz said, no one is taking that Bridgewater contract on...

He is under contract until 2022, he is on the books for $17 mil this year ($10 of which is already guaranteed). Carolina still has to eat another $10 mil in signing bonus too!. If they do trade him, its going to be for a bag of magic beans and they are going to have to kick in some money too!

Last edited:
Patriots need to seriously consider whether Lance, Fields or Mac are viable options because two of those 3 will be available at #4 but I’d be shocked if they got to #15

This may have been sent to him by the Panthers but it’s ridiculous. There is no way they’re going to take a quarterback at 8. They paid a fair amount to get Darnold, in an attempt to salvage him. We already know that he is a little bit mentally fragile, so it would be idiotic to draft a young quarterback to compete with him in his first year with them, when they are already planning to pick up his fifth year option. The pick at 8 should be an OT or WR. Pitts would be ideal but I doubt that he will fall to 8 at this point.
100 percent agree it would be a horrible message to send Sam to take a top 10 QB and say Sam we still believe you are the best QB on this team.
It looks like Lance or Fields could be in affordable distance if we want them.
I think Lance in the guy. We will see.
Patriots could shock all of us and take a QB much later like KJ Costello tjem
We have a press conference about our GM raving about Costello like Caserio did with Etling.

Make a final offer to the 49ers for Jimmy G & then make this happen.

Last edited:
The Falcons COULD take a QB, but their immediate future is tied up in Ryan for 2021 and 2022 ($90M against the cap between the 2 years). Not sure they can afford the slot for a QB at 4 this year. 4 seems awfully high to take a RT. I could easily see them taking Pitts. Atlanta's passing offense would be SICK with Pitts in there with Jones, Ridley and Hurst.
Agree DaBruinz, that would be a very potent offense if they added Pitts..... one other option is that they could potentially trade that pick to a team wanting a qb...we know that won't happen until draft night and which two qb are available. Going to be very interesting.

The open question is whether ATL will wait until they are on the clock to make the final decision among trade partners.

Tom Curran makes the relevant point about Atlanta:

On the surface, trying to find the successor for 36-year-old quarterback Matt Ryan seemed to make sense. Quarterbacks going to the Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Jets, Niners and Falcons seemed possible.​
Not so fast, my friend. The insane cap numbers for Ryan the next few years make him nearly impossible to trade and – more importantly – nearly impossible to sit. So if the Falcons were to take a quarterback this year, he’d almost certainly be on the sideline until 2023 while Ryan and his cap hits of $27M, $49M and $44M played on.​
I think if Ryan is a post June 1 cut he is easier to digest from a dead cap perspective but someone check me on that.

How does this make sense? You wouldn't give up 15 but two more 1sts plus 96 is ok?

Huh? Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough. I assume that Atlanta will ask for 15 and first round picks in 2022 and 2023. That 2023 1st is where I personally would draw the line.

I’m suggesting that in addition to those three picks the Falcons may also ask for a day 2 pick this year, which is why I wrote “maybe” (they would ask for 96).

15, 95, 2022 #1....count me in. I wouldn’t give up a 2023 #1 as well.

How does this make sense? You wouldn't give up 15 but two more 1sts plus 96 is ok?

I think the theory here would be the future firsts won't be as high as 15. I haven't processed the scenario enough to say whether I agree or not, but I do think there's a big different in hit/miss ratio between a top 15 pick and one towards the end of the first.

Huh? Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough. I assume that Atlanta will ask for 15 and first round picks in 2022 and 2023. That 2023 1st is where I personally would draw the line.

I’m suggesting that in addition to those three picks the Falcons may also ask for a day 2 pick this year, which is why I wrote “maybe” (they would ask for 96).

15, 95, 2022 #1....count me in. I wouldn’t give up a 2023 #1 as well.
Ah I see sorry my mistake
I think the theory here would be the future firsts won't be as high as 15. I haven't processed the scenario enough to say whether I agree or not, but I do think there's a big different in hit/miss ratio between a top 15 pick and one towards the end of the first.
Agreed they most likely won't be as high, I thought the implication was that 15 was untouchable

I have no idea what ransom Atlanta will want to try to pull off.. I am confident NE won't bow too much.

If you think you can get your guy, you go get him.

And that's really the part of this that keeps the message board debate alive: We have no idea how they rate the top QB's in house. They might think Lawrence, Wilson, and Lance are worth whatever it takes to get them, while Fields and Jones are chancier (worth a first rounder on potential, but not multiple first rounders). So while we sit here and say, "Do whatever it takes to go get one of these guys", they're probably waiting to see (or get reasonable spy intelligence ahead of time) who the first three off the board are.

That's always made the most sense.

Matt Ryan is a good QB but he is far from his MVP season and doesn't elevate his team to perform better.

You don't finish bad enough to have the #4 pick in the draft with a healthy elite QB. Matt Ryan was healthy, he is not elite.

If the Falcons think one of the QBs at #4 has elite potential, you draft them. Give them a year to learn behind Ryan, then trade Ryan away the following season.

Otherwise they might have to trade multiple first round picks in a couple years to draft a QB.

And that's really the part of this that keeps the message board debate alive: We have no idea how they rate the top QB's in house. They might think Lawrence, Wilson, and Lance are worth whatever it takes to get them, while Fields and Jones are chancier (worth a first rounder on potential, but not multiple first rounders). So while we sit here and say, "Do whatever it takes to go get one of these guys", they're probably waiting to see (or get reasonable spy intelligence ahead of time) who the first three off the board are.
Well that’s kinda my point. You know Lawrence will be gone. So do you have 3 QB’s after Lawrence that you think you can make your guy? If so... go to 4 because he won’t be there at 15. If not stay and see what happens.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back