PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2020 Conference Championship weekend

One of the more interesting things this game is how GB's D is being talked up. About how they 'turned it on' to end the year. Let's find out!

Week 13 - Held the 26th ranked Eagles O (20.9 PPG) to 16. During this game Wentz and Hurts each played half the game at QB. To be fair 6 of those points came on a return with a missed XP. Since their bye the Eagles have been held to 17, 17. 17, 16, 24, 26, 17 and 14. Hardly a prolific offense. It's a good job, but not amazing
Week 14 - Held the 20th ranked Lions O (23,6 PPG) to 24. Nothing strange about this one. Okay job I guess?
Week 15 - Held the 24th ranked Panthers O (21.9) to 16. Nothing strange here.
Week 16 - Held the 4th ranked Titans O (30.7) to 14. This is the game the Packers are basing their D having turned the corner on pretty much. You can either believe it was just a bad game by the Titans or that it is proof that the Packers could do well vs good O's as well as bad ones who have mostly given up. Maybe the snow and elements through The Titans off for some reason. Not that it would help the Buc's case if that were true. But each team reacts differently too it. Maybe the weather had nothing to do with it. The Titans played in 17 games this year and in 4 score 17 or less. Some were against good Ds and some vs bad. Personally after watching this game I think it had to do with bad play, bad game plan and bad coaching. Take for instance the Titan's first drive after being down 0-6. They drive to the 32 and on a 4th and 7 they punt and get a touch back. I know they wanted to pin them, but in the snow that was stupid. Just one example. Personally I think this was just one of the few stinkers the Titans have had this year due to various factors going against them. But maybe I'm wrong! However, if that isn't the case, why couldn't the Packers have really stuck it too these bad offenses more than they did? It is a fair question.
Week 17 - Held the 22nd-t ranked Bears O (23.3) to 16. Some people may argue Trubisky with the Bears scored more and hence they were better than their ranked. That is arguably fair. It's also fair to note Mitch is known to be streaky and was benched for a reason.
DIV Week 19 - Held the 22nd-t ranked Rams O (23.3) to 18. They did it with them having a hurt QB and missing their best WR.

So in reality the question comes down to do you believe week 16 or 17 proved anything. Personlly when looking at how they played in the other games, I really don't think so. I don't think this D is much better than it was in week 6. I think most of the 'improvement' has to do with catching a good O who did a lot of bad things and made a lot of bad plays at the right time. As well as catching the streaky Mitch, who didn't look all that good the next game either IMO. The hype around this D making any notable jump doesn't seem justified to me when you look at the games and the factors around them
Based on your numbers in their last 6 games, opponents' offenses averaged 17.3 pts / game vs GB....an average reduction of 6.7 pts / game.
At the same time, GB scored 32 pts/game with their lowest output being 24.
Verses the 3 playoff bound teams in that group, GB's offense averaged 36 pts/game

Note: TB's defense gave up one fewer point per game this year than the Rams or Bears

Laying the 3.5 points would seem the right play.....but the head to head TB domination is too much to process for this wuss

Based on your numbers in their last 6 games, opponents' offenses averaged 17.3 pts / game vs GB....an average reduction of 6.7 pts / game.
At the same time, GB scored 32 pts/game with their lowest output being 24.
Verses the 3 playoff bound teams in that group, GB's offense averaged 36 pts/game

Note: TB's defense gave up one fewer point per game this year than the Rams or Bears

Laying the 3.5 points would seem the right play.....but the head to head TB domination is too much to process for this wuss
Oh GB's offense has been very good, but not unbeatable. They are the best offense in the NFL but they didn't face many top defenses, and when they faced the few they did the games were a little weird for one reason or another. Their team is built in such a way that they are perhaps the most deadly front running team of the last 20 years. It allows their D to focus on what they do well, which is shut down the #1 WR and take away the deep ball over the top (if they know it's coming) as well as go small and rush the passer.

If you get them behind in the 4th at all they are in big trouble though. I think the Bucs will force them to do something they've been unable to do all year and make them come back in the 4th. And I don't think they'll be able to do it. Every time time they've been in that spot not only have they failed, but they looked just plain shaky. Mistakes, missed throws, ect..

Rodgers is broke differently - mentally. He has one of the worst records for any great QB when trailing at any point in a game. That being said, this is easily the biggest game of his career. He is the league MVP, he finally has the champ game at home, he has the elements and he gets to face Brady to get to the Bowl. I am not sure any QB has ever had this much pressure to win a conf. champ than him just because of the way his career has unfolded and has overlapped with Brady's.

This is the most pumped I have ever been for a game. I guess it took Brady coming to the NFC to finally play Brees and Rodgers in the playoffs as neither one showed up in his 9 SB appearances.
Other than 11 Pats SBs, myriad Pats playoff games and notable Pats vs Marino, Manning, Mahomes, etc. games I agree.
Top 100 pumped!

True but i couldn’t stomach a mahomey vs Rodgers super bowl. These announcers would be ejaculating with each play.
With apologies for decorum... I fixed it for you. :whistle:

Make sure you don't have any glass or cats nearby if your volume is turned up

Amend divorce laws to make sure women like that get nothing. And yes, I know she comes from a wealthy family.

Reactions: sb1
The draft trades that shape tomorrow’s games are really interesting, especially how they tie in to each other and the Patriots. Imagine how different this weekend would be if the Chiefs hadn’t traded up for Mahomes in 2017.

——

In 2017, the Bills held the 10th overall pick. The Saints held the 11th pick and by all accounts were going to draft Patrick Mahomes. The Chiefs traded up from 27th to 10th and drafted Mahomes, in exchange for the 27th pick, the 91st pick, and a 2018 first round pick.

The Bills used the 27th pick on Tre’Davious White and next year’s first rounder on Tremaine Edmunds, two star players.

The Saints picked Marshon Lattimore at #11 after missing on Mahomes. This is thought to have nixed their interest in trading for Malcolm Butler. Butler would go on to be benched in SB52, and there’s speculation that game affected Tom Brady’s relationship with the Patriots (but hey, let’s just have fun with this and embrace the dramatic license rather than having an angry debate.) Brady later shocked the sporting world and left the Patriots. (See next.)

Since Mahomes went to the Chiefs, the Saints instead extended and committed to Drew Brees. During the 2020 offseason, Brady and the Saints were heading towards an agreement when Brees decided to play another season.

Brady signed with the Bucs instead.

Meanwhile, the Bills had passed on Mahomes and had the 12th pick in the 2018 draft and needed a quarterback. The Bills traded up with the Bucs, to 6th overall, and drafted Josh Allen, in exchange for the #12 overall pick, 53rd, and 55th pick.

The Bucs used the the #12 pick to draft Vita Vea and then Carlton Davis in the second round.

Perhaps regretting missing on Mahomes, the Saints got very aggressive and traded up to obtain the #14 overall pick from the Packers to select Marcus Davenport. The Packers received the #27 overall pick and the Saints 2019 first round pick. The move had a big negative impact on the Saints and positive impact on the Packers.

The Packers packaged the #27 pick obtained from the Saints to move back into the first round and selected Jaire Alexander at #18 and Darnell Savage in the first round in 2019.

Last edited:
I doubt anyone here will be cheering for the Bucs when they come to Foxboro next season.

I’m sure the forum will be really chill and civil leading up to that game, with no one questioning allegiances or crying about what it means to be a real fan, or anything like that.

No, most continue to be Brady and to a lesser degree Gronk fans. Their only Bucs fandom is through that extension. I doubt anybody sticks around that team when they're gone.

I doubt anyone here will be cheering for the Bucs when they come to Foxboro next season.

Whenever the Bucs season ends (within the next couple of weeks), you guys should go through the Gronkaneers thread and you'll see parts of it will read like a typical pats thread. 458 pages for a team not named the NE Patriots...I would say there are more than a handful of people who quietly shifted to the Bucs.

No, most continue to be Brady and to a lesser degree Gronk fans. Their only Bucs fandom is through that extension. I doubt anybody sticks around that team when they're gone.
Sorta followed the Bucs for years wintering here south of Tampa but they were BORING and they shall again be boring w/o TFB

There’s quite a few just in this thread who would love for TB to stick it to Bill next year.

Tampa will beat GB if they can run the ball effectively and the defense shuts down their top receivers.
You mean that Brady won't be the hero and the reason for a win?

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back