PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2020 Conference Championship weekend

Brady’s legacy is pretty much set, not that it ever was in question. But he never had to actually win a championship in Tampa; he has removed the irrational image in people’s minds of him having a nervous breakdown at midfield after failing to “dink and dunk” because defenses are no longer outsmarted by the 7D chess moves coming from the sidelines.

An NFC Championship Game appearance at age 43 (and 40 TD passes) is icing on the cake. An easy reference that pretty much stonewalls any argument that he was dependent on Belichick. Anyone who still argues Brady still isn’t worthy of #1 on their insecure QB rankings list, or insists on ThE mOsT AcCoMpLiSHeD bUt NoT tHe GReATeSt was never going to change their opinion, so a Super Bowl with Tampa would be awesome but doesn‘t win over anyone. It would be awesome, though, just because it takes the idea of him being the greatest ever by a huge margin and increases it to a gigantic margin. But it’s more of a giant middle finger to all of the “but but but Belichick and the system” idiots, which would be the best part.

Belichick doesn’t need to win a championship without Brady, either, but he needs to build a team that can win and compete. If he winds up with like total 12 seasons without Brady, a couple of playoff wins, and an overall sub-.500 record, I don’t really know what to say. He’ll be a guy who maximized the Patriots dynasty and was very much responsible for the success, but beyond that, you can’t pretend he did things that he didn’t do, despite all of the theoretical greatness that gets mixed up with facts. Hopefully he’ll make build a contender or a team where he can demonstrate his vision and coaching prowess independent of Brady.
Said it a bunch of times. Buffalo was exactly where we are now 3 seasons ago and look at them now. No reason why Bill shouldn’t be able to do the same thing with us in the same timeframe.

People are overplaying the importance of this game to Tom Brady’s legacy.

he’s the GOAT no matter what.
In fact if he does not win a super bowl with Tampa no one will even remember. His legacy is with the Pats. No one really thinks about Favre on the Vikings and Montana on the Chiefs. We all just look at it as old qbs playing out their final years.

they aren’t expected to win but if they do....more power to them

I presume that you aren't a patriot fan.

If you are a patriot fan, I truly am sorry for you. If we set up a thread of the games we were most pumped up about, MAYBE this would be in the top 100, maybe not.
Sorry. I should have said NFC playoff game. I normally didn't watch the NFC at all except with a casual interest just to see who the Pats would play.

I presume that you aren't a patriot fan.

If you are a patriot fan, I truly am sorry for you. If we set up a thread of the games we were most pumped up about, MAYBE this would be in the top 100, maybe not.
Maybe not

Other than 11 Pats SBs, myriad Pats playoff games and notable Pats vs Marino, Manning, Mahomes, etc. games I agree.
Top 100 pumped!
Again, meant to say NFC playoff game. My bad.
Every single Pats playoff game going back to 1985 (when I first started watching football) had me more pumped.

In fact if he does not win a super bowl with Tampa no one will even remember. His legacy is with the Pats. No one really thinks about Favre on the Vikings and Montana on the Chiefs. We all just look at it as old qbs playing out their final years.

I agree nothing to lose everything to gain.

Again, meant to say NFC playoff game. My bad.
Every single Pats playoff game going back to 1985 (when I first started watching football) had me more pumped.
Now it is a little bit better...

Agreed. Only thing that would sink Brady’s legacy now is a failed PED test. And if that happened it would also put an asterisk beside Bill’s.

Looks like if we only consider ratings and such, the matchups are compelling and the SB should be an interesting game. I guess BUF v GB would be the « worst » matchup from a league standpoint if looking at national interest. But either KC v GB/TB would be epic QB battles. I know lots of people want to build up Josh Allen, and he’s had a fantastic season, but he’s still far behind Mahomes-Brady-Rodgers in terms of accomplishments and notoriety.

Also : I’d like to echo posters stating that this game does nothing to damage Brady’s legacy - it can only enhance it. Even if GB cleans the floor with TB, anyone who pins the performance of a 43 year old QBs (in the Championship game ?!), while disregarding the past exploits, doesn’t deserve to be listened to...

Watch tampa destroying the Packers like they did in the RS

Watch tampa destroying the Packers like they did in the RS

Hope so. The packers are playing well of late but i cant overlook how easy their road has been. The only win i can say that caught my eye was the blowout of Tennessee, but even in that case we all have seen Tennessee is not all that. The way tampa handled no last week was a statement imo

Most "neutral" fans I have spoke to are expecting GB to roll today. Peaking at the right time etc. Just trying to give folks not in NE an idea of what the rest of the country is feeling about this game.

Most "neutral" fans I have spoke to are expecting GB to roll today. Peaking at the right time etc. Just trying to give folks not in NE an idea of what the rest of the country is feeling about this game.
We know. Everyone nationally just about picked the Pack. Just the way Brady likes it - ultimate underdog.

What's your feeling about whom the rest of the country wants to win the Battle of the Bays? IMO Rodgers is not likeable but does Brady still carry the stink of the Patriots?

Last edited:
What's your feeling about whom the rest of the country wants to win the Battle of the Bays? IMO Rodgers is not likeable but does Brady still carry the stink of the Patriots?
Most folks think Rodgers is more likable than Brady. Most folks get their sports news from BSPN....

Also : I’d like to echo posters stating that this game does nothing to damage Brady’s legacy - it can only enhance it. Even if GB cleans the floor with TB, anyone who pins the performance of a 43 year old QBs (in the Championship game ?!), while disregarding the past exploits, doesn’t deserve to be listened to...
That's the long standing problem with Brady when he was a Patriot. It almost as if those 6 SB wins don't matter, it's all about the SB losses, etc, etc.

"But oh me gurd, Rodgers is da goat cuz he gut 1 SB win and makes dem hail mary throws!"

It's mind bottling how much people blindly listen to national and local sports media and form their opinions based on what they hear, see and read...

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back