PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 OTAs/Minicamp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To its credit, the WR chatter helps take our minds off the Sinkhole that is the TE position, by FAR the worst since 2001 (no disrespect to Wiggie from Eastie, in case he lurks here).
It will be rather hilarious when the 2019 TE group outproduces the 2018 TE group.

It will be rather hilarious when the 2019 TE group outproduces the 2018 TE group.
54 catches ~750yds 3TDs should not be a problem (I don't think). Plus they'll find a way to score the 27ppg they did last year.

What will be a concern is a run & pass blocking and making THAT play when THAT play needs to be made.

To its credit, the WR chatter helps take our minds off the Sinkhole that is the TE position, by FAR the worst since 2001 (no disrespect to Wiggie from Eastie, in case he lurks here).
I was really miffed the team passed on ALL of the TE prospects in the draft especially when it chose to add guys at positions where it SEEMED like we were already flush with talent (CB and RB) instead of picking a TE. (although given Michel's absence, in retrospect in might have been a good idea to add another RB, but that's story for another thread).

But here's the thing that should mitigate a lot of the TE angst that's out there. It's the reality of the low production bar set by last year's TE group. 700yds and 4 TD's is NOT a high bar and even if your TE group is Lacosse, Anderson and Izzo. You'd think that combined they could reach that very makable mark.

I was really miffed the team passed on ALL of the TE prospects in the draft especially when it chose to add guys at positions where it SEEMED like we were already flush with talent (CB and RB) instead of picking a TE. (although given Michel's absence, in retrospect in might have been a good idea to add another RB, but that's story for another thread).

But here's the thing that should mitigate a lot of the TE angst that's out there. It's the reality of the low production bar set by last year's TE group. 700yds and 4 TD's is NOT a high bar and even if your TE group is Lacosse, Anderson and Izzo. You'd think that combined they could reach that very makable mark.
It is evident to me the NEP did not like most of the non 1st rd graded TE prospects and weren't even on their draft board.

2019 TE production is LIKELY to be more than the 50 receptions for 710 yards for Gronk and Allen in 2o18.

DEFENSE

I agree that defense is all but set, with lots of competition for reps and for the last roster spots. I still expect us to bring in another DT for competition and in case of injury. If all are healthy, I'm fine with our "big" three of Pennell, Guy and Shelton, with Butler as the 4th DT. At this point, I would likely one more mid-level vet in camp.

Part of me agrees but part of me sees the reason for the abundance of WR/TE post. So many other spots on the roster are known quantities.

DL - Should produce about the same.
LB - No obvious holes. It will be interesting to see how Bentley and Collins fit in, but no one is worried about LB.
DB - Same thing. This spot is all set.

Of course we want updates on how Williams/Chase are doing but even if both bust out (which I don't think happens), the Pats will probably be fine. It would be nice to hear a story about Obi setting the world on fire too but again, not a must have. There is no concern about the defense as far as being ready

First impressions are that Maurice Harris looks far from the JAG he was deemed to be.

First impressions are that Maurice Harris looks far from the JAG he was deemed to be.
I am not sure anyone should have classified him as a JAG to begin with. His stats projected over 16 games last year would have been 37 grabs for over 400 yards. In only his third year when he only played 16 games combined in his first 2 years.

OT
As fans, we understand the needs at OT. We need a backup, vet swing OT. We continue to hope for the good health of Wynn and Cajuste. And yes, we are in so much need at OT that we are looking to how much Thuney might contribute at LT if needed. After all, we have backup OG's if needed in Karras, Frodo, and Schwenke, so Thuney can move if needed.

But, the reality is that we were all set when our swing OT retired. We'll be all set again when we replace him. This does NOT mean that we shouldn't have concerns. But, we will have a very strong OL in place.

WR/TE (first 3)
We have Edelman as one WR starter, and we have Watson as one of our TE's after 4 weeks. And yes, we HOPE to have production from our 1st round WRer. I'm fine with Harry, but we don't have a clue where he'll be by midseason or even by the playoffs. "Plugging in" Harry as our #3 WR and PR seems reasonable. So, to start, I'm counting on an aging #1 WR, an OLD #1 TE, and rookie WR. This looks good, but it could be better. [as an aide, we also have Develin as a 3rd TE, an important part of the 2018 passing game].

WR/TE - PICK FOUR
I've been accused of considering us all set because we have lots of solid competition at a particular position. Even I can't say that this year at TE and WR. It probably takes a lot of (over)confidence to believe that we can't find better by trade away a 3rd round comp pick.
Perhaps, Belichick will be able to wait until later July or even after the season starts. However, I would NOT be shocked to see us trade earlier than that. Of course, Belichick MIGHT be very satisfied with Thomas and Inman, and therefore sees no immediate need.

Thomas
Gordon
Dorsett
Inman
Harris
Berrios
Izzo
Anderson
Beck

OL - Wynn is a huge story, but besides where he is medically there isn't much to say.

TE/WR - This is the only spot with actual roster competition implications when it comes to key snaps. While I think the offense will look good come playoff time, the rest of the season matters too. Will it take 2. 4, 8 or 16 weeks to get things all set? Going into the playoffs as the 4th seed or 1st seed is a huge deal and how this spot looks early does matter.

I'm not telling you anything you don't already know of course. But i think this is the year where WR reporting to a large degree is justified.

Does Harris have enough NFL playing time to be a free agent after 2019?

Does Harris have enough NFL playing time to be a free agent after 2019?

He was an RFA who didn't get tendered and therefore became a UFA when we signed him. Pretty sure that means he'll be unrestricted next March. He'll have been in the league for 4 seasons which is the minimum for UFA status.

I am not sure anyone should have classified him as a JAG to begin with. His stats projected over 16 games last year would have been 37 grabs for over 400 yards. In only his third year when he only played 16 games combined in his first 2 years.
I think Harris makes it and Inman gets cut.

I have a question for this entire forum.

Do you think any athlete in history is in his physical prime at age 42?

0683c47d7e62473c755e56fcab472f92.png

Last edited:
I have a question for this entire forum.

Do you think any athlete in history is in his physical prime at age 42?

Why does that matter?

Nolan Ryan had an ERA of 15.0 in 3 innings of work, at age 19. From then until he turned 46 in his final MLB season, Nolan Ryan never had an ERA over 4.0. He threw 7 no hitters in his MLB career, including one at the age of 41. So who gives a damn if his physical prime was at 25, 30, 35, 40 or whenever?

Last edited:
Some thoughts on camp so far

N'Keal Harry - I find it interesting Gilmore is being put on him so much. IIRC usually you start rookie WRs on easier CBs when they're getting their feet wet, but Gilmore has been on him since day 1. I think this says a lot about where they think his maturity and professionalism is.

Other WRs/TEs - hearing good things overall but until the pads come on I take it all with a grain of salt.

QBs - Reports indicate Stidham is already ahead of Elting, but miles behind Hoyer as far as command of the offense. Anyone holding out hope we will only carry 2 QBs (Brady/Stidham) probably needs to give up on that.

CBs - I haven't heard much about many individuals in this group, more so just collective solid play. I expect that to continue. Gimore as the standout and everyone else doing their job well and being competitive.

LB - Nice to hear about Collin already making some plays. I think this may turn into a sneaky good signing. I expect to see a lot of LBs on the field this year.

Punter - Jake Bailey at this point it's hard not to call him the favorite. He has been consistent in every report I have read. I wonder if the Pats plan to trade Allen. Just cutting such a capable punter seems like a waste.

I would be more concerned if Gilmore wasn't winning those battles. Good news. If we get 2018 Gilmore again we have an excellent shot winning the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back