PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 Combine

I was disappointed in Collier's 3-cone. I love that he's a power player on the edge, but every time I watched TCU, Banogu made all the splash plays. Still, this is the kind of run defense he can bring to a defense. Despite his testing numbers, he can be valuable. I made this Gif earlier in the week to show why I like his ability on the edge.

He can still play the Flowers role. I don’t know how Schiano will have our defense playing but as I suggested in an above post, I really like the idea of a 3 man front, particularly with someone like Lawrence as an anchor and the having a more designated pass rusher (Rivers-type) or a linebacker ending off that. We have Hightower and Van Noy who are no slouches. Whether the third person in the three man front is Wise or Clayborn or Zach Allen or Collier, it’s a cost-effective way of lining up the defense (no expensive every down pass rushers).

I'll take em both, thanks.

I really like Chauncey but I watched Adderley today and fell in love. That play where he was returning a punt, knocked a tackler on his behind, stopped to admire his work and then still scored a TD was something else. His ball skills are unreal. Wish he was a little bigger though.

I really like Chauncey but I watched Adderley today and fell in love. That play where he was returning a punt, knocked a tackler on his behind, stopped to admire his work and then still scored a TD was something else. His ball skills are unreal. Wish he was a little bigger though.

Adderley seems like an ideal McCourty replacement down the road. Chung --> Abram?

Most impressive player today? For me, Chase Winovich. Under 7.0 in the 3-cone, under 4.6 in the 40, 6'3" 260, good technique. He's going to be a steal even if he goes late first round.

It's pretty clear to me that he's a guy that will play better in a hybrid role than a pure hand-in-the-dirt pass rusher. In other words, a 3-4 OLB rather than a 4-3 DE.

Last edited:
Adderley seems like an ideal McCourty replacement down the road. Chung --> Abram?

I think CF is his best position but of course we have Harmon there. If you think of McCourty in his more versatile role (cF, covering TEs/WRs) then I like Chauncey for that role. I haven’t watched enough to find the next Chung but from what I’ve read, Taylor Rapp seems perfect there. Haven’t watched Abrams’ apart from some hard hitting highlights.

Question. Does DK have the same character red flags as Cordarrelle? Because let’s face it, it wasn’t Cordarelle’s athleticism that let him down.
Their concerns read almost the same. Raw, inconsistent hands/rr, not the best blocker although CP improved mightily, inconsistent at catch point. Injuries definitely held him back some but not enough to the point where the above isn't very noticeable. He could be great but rn hes not.

Love the work ethic but I'm drafting a WR not an athletic freak. Its great if it comes along w it but rn thats his whole case, potential.

I think CF is his best position but of course we have Harmon there. If you think of McCourty in his more versatile role (cF, covering TEs/WRs) then I like Chauncey for that role. I haven’t watched enough to find the next Chung but from what I’ve read, Taylor Rapp seems perfect there. Haven’t watched Abrams’ apart from some hard hitting highlights.

Rapp is incredibly clean. I could see him playing any role in our secondary. Adderley I like deeper. He's fine against TEs, but I don't like his slot coverage against shiftier receivers. Good player, though. Chauncey Gardner-Johnson is super versatile and can do just about anything. Abram is a huge hitter, but he's also quite good in man coverage, even against receivers.

I continually flip flop on my highest rated guy, but usually it goes something like Abram > Rapp > CGJ > Adderley. I'd take any of them with any of our first three picks, depending on how the board falls and how the team thinks they'd fit in with the secondary.

@reamer I know you & I were big fans of Cory Davis .

I thought he was overdrafted but I'd say he was head & shoulders above DK from a pure WR standpoint, no?

Been thinking about Dex Lawrence for the past few days specifically. He's the last of the blue chip DT/NT & there's a big drop off after him & his type.

As opposed to TE, WR, RB, Rush etc.

His stock went up after the combine but the depth in the class will push him up more.

Can't wait to see the board when we pick

Rapp is incredibly clean. I could see him playing any role in our secondary. Adderley I like deeper. He's fine against TEs, but I don't like his slot coverage against shiftier receivers. Good player, though. Chauncey Gardner-Johnson is super versatile and can do just about anything. Abram is a huge hitter, but he's also quite good in man coverage, even against receivers.

I continually flip flop on my highest rated guy, but usually it goes something like Abram > Rapp > CGJ > Adderley. I'd take any of them with any of our first three picks, depending on how the board falls and how the team thinks they'd fit in with the secondary.

I like your safety board if only because it likely means Adderley falls to the bottom half of round 2. This draft certainly marries up really well with our team needs.

Been thinking about Dex Lawrence for the past few days specifically. He's the last of the blue chip DT/NT & there's a big drop off after him & his type.

As opposed to TE, WR, RB, Rush etc.

His stock went up after the combine but the depth in the class will push him up more.

Can't wait to see the board when we pick

I’m not sure I agree. Purely because many teams view him as an early down guy only, I can see him falling. I hope so because shy of the two Iowa TEs, Lawrence will probably be my first pick for our first pick.

Rapp is someone I’m excited to watch.

@reamer I know you & I were big fans of Cory Davis .

I thought he was overdrafted but I'd say he was head & shoulders above DK from a pure WR standpoint, no?

Davis was more refined for sure. Too bad he hasn't been in a better system for him to develop. On the right team / scheme I still think he can be a top player.

That said, I can understand why Metcalf appeals to GMs. They'll think their coaches can develop him into a complete player. And, honestly, he does flash. Here's why the draft network guys still like him, for example:

Most impressive player today? For me, Chase Winovich. Under 7.0 in the 3-cone, under 4.6 in the 40, 6'3" 260, good technique. He's going to be a steal even if he goes late first round.

It's pretty clear to me that he's a guy that will play better in a hybrid role than a pure hand-in-the-dirt pass rusher. In other words, a 3-4 OLB rather than a 4-3 DE.
He should be available 4th or 5th round from the projections.

Was just observing his college stats when that was posted. Would of liked to seen more. Injury shortened season. I really like the player, good pedigree and supremely athletic, I just hate the thought of taking an offensive player in first not named One of the Iowa Boys. Too much defensive talent to pass on.
I mean I don't think it's the worst thing in the world for a team to take a shot but top guys should come in & change the culture. On & off the field. If not trade back & get more picks. Trade for a QB. Don't take a guy that isn't worth it. Esp a WR who needs his OL, QB & others to do their jobs well.

I’m not sure I agree. Purely because many teams view him as an early down guy only, I can see him falling. I hope so because shy of the two Iowa TEs, Lawrence will probably be my first pick for our first pick.
Who knows how teams view him. Shelton, Vea & others others have gone & he does have some rush ability although you're drafting him to win & reset the los. Personally I think his value is in the 2nd but 340, 35 arms, 5.05 could push him up along w depth.

Haven't watched a lot of the combine but got about 90 minutes of defense today. My favorites were Brian Burns, he looked special to me, Chase Winovich looked like a classic Patriot and Sutton Smith a too small edge guy but I can see Belichick making him a defensive Edelman saying I don't know where you will play but you're a football player. I didn't see Isabella's workout but I picked him as my binky . I want him on our team.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back