PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Training Camp Thread - Day 12 (8/13/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is Richards? Mitchell didn’t play last year.

None of this makes either McCarron or berrios a better player.
Oops I meant Matthews. Corrected. I am referring to hopes at the start of TC .

not really thrilled with our depth at recever, especially with this news that decker is dropping passes in TC. i hope matthews comes back at some point. i had high hopes for him.

Oops I meant Matthews. Corrected. I am referring to hopes at the start of TC .
I’m confused then why would Amendola or Mitchell be part of it?

We have 5 guys who aren’t named Edelman who have been effective in some role as an nfl wr.
Hogan
Patterson
Decker
Britt
Dorsett

Just because they didn’t play here before doesn’t mean it’s a Joey Galloway, Tory Holt, Reggie Wayne situation.
Decker is 31 not 35.
Britt is a year removed from a 1000 yard season with a putrid QB.
Many here think Dorsett was a big asset last year in a small role and some even hope he can be a big part of the offense.
Patterson has caught 160 balls in the nfl never played with a QB who didn’t suck and has a lot of skills that can be used by smart coaching to carve out an impactful role.

Add Edelman and this looks like a deep veteran well rounded complementary group that’s going to have to see a pretty good player cut because we have too many.

not really thrilled with our depth at recever, especially with this news that decker is dropping passes in TC. i hope matthews comes back at some point. i had high hopes for him.
Decker didn’t forget how to catch a football. Relax. Besides decker is one of 5 guys competing for 3-4 spots.

How about Kenny Britt getting out the Tub...I do not have him making it at the moment. I don't think we have seen enough from him to make this Team. After Edelman - Hogan may be Decker...the lot becomes very paltry after that. If Devin Lucien plays well again you have to think he's in the mix.

I watched the game. Darnold looked so far away from being Butt Fumble v. 2.0. Don’t let your hatred get in the way of facts. Darnold showed more promise and field awareness in his FIRST preseason game than Sanchez ever did. Kid is gonna be good, there’s no doubt in my mind. And I’ve felt that way, way before he became a Jet (watch the USC/Penn State Rose Bowl from 2 years ago).

That being said, the 4 year veteran Bridgewater did look really good, like his old self from the Minnesota days. I can see HIM winning the starting job. He’s a good QB. I prefer the Jets start the kid (Darnold), especially against us, because I think we’d have more trouble vs Bridgewater THIS YEAR, but a year or so down the road, I think Darnold will be a good QB, I ALAWAYS thought he was the best QB in the draft.

It's not "hatred". I don't "hate" the Jete. I just think their ownership is hopelessly (though, amusingly) stupid. The reason I said that Darnold looked like "The Sanchize" is that - in that game - he seemed extremely uncomfortable in the pocket, and seemed far more confident and accurate when he bolted to the outside, even when throwing on the run.

The parallel is there.

Also, "Not saying that Darnold can't get better," seems to me like it should have made it clear that I'm not predicting the same desultory career arc. However, there's another parallel - pretty much out of Darnold's control - that may make whatever "promise" he has less relevant. That circles back to Jete ownership.

If Johnson the Younger believes that the team risks losing significant revenue this season by making Bridgewater the starter over Darnold, then Darnold will start, despite any potential misgivings on the part of the coaching staff about how it might hurt his development. Again, that's not hatred. That comes from knowing what Jete ownership typically does. It's exactly what they did with (to) Sanchez.

I have always loved Edelman, but would not be surprised if he gets about 600 yards receiving this year (50 per game).

That seems about right to me. Maybe a tad more.

Another thing to remember is that, in the last season that he played (2016, at age 30), his catch rate had declined to under 62% from an average of over 69% for his previous three seasons.

It's not "hatred". I don't "hate" the Jete. I just think their ownership is hopelessly (though, amusingly) stupid. The reason I said that Darnold looked like "The Sanchize" is that - in that game - he seemed extremely uncomfortable in the pocket, and seemed far more confident and accurate when he bolted to the outside, even when throwing on the run.

The parallel is there.

Also, "Not saying that Darnold can't get better," seems to me like it should have made it clear that I'm not predicting the same desultory career arc. However, there's another parallel - pretty much out of Darnold's control - that may make whatever "promise" he has less relevant. That circles back to Jete ownership.

If Johnson the Younger believes that the team risks losing significant revenue this season by making Bridgewater the starter over Darnold, then Darnold will start, despite any potential misgivings on the part of the coaching staff about how it might hurt his development. Again, that's not hatred. That comes from knowing what Jete ownership typically does. It's exactly what they did with (to) Sanchez.
Ownership won't dictate if Darnold will be a good QB or not, Darnold will. I've seen enough over the last 2-3 years as far as watching Darnold in all situations that come up in football, to know he's going to be a good QB. Could I be wrong, sure, but I saw some similarities to Garappolo when HE played in HIS 1st preseason game as well. He also did some scrambling and throwing on the run. And he still does it to this day. I would call that pocket awareness as opposed to being uncomfortable in the pocket. Don't forget, Darnold was playing with 2nd and 3rd string offensive linemen.

That seems about right to me. Maybe a tad more.

Another thing to remember is that, in the last season that he played (2016, at age 30), his catch rate had declined to under 62% from an average of over 69% for his previous three seasons.
That’s primarily because he had a lot more done the field lower percentage throws.

I watched the game. Darnold looked so far away from being Butt Fumble v. 2.0. Don’t let your hatred get in the way of facts. Darnold showed more promise and field awareness in his FIRST preseason game than Sanchez ever did. Kid is gonna be good, there’s no doubt in my mind. And I’ve felt that way, way before he became a Jet (watch the USC/Penn State Rose Bowl from 2 years ago).

That being said, the 4 year veteran Bridgewater did look really good, like his old self from the Minnesota days. I can see HIM winning the starting job. He’s a good QB. I prefer the Jets start the kid (Darnold), especially against us, because I think we’d have more trouble vs Bridgewater THIS YEAR, but a year or so down the road, I think Darnold will be a good QB, I ALAWAYS thought he was the best QB in the draft.

Agree. I was not super high on Darnold coming out of the draft process and I am still not super high on his future. That being said, while I don't think he will ever be a true franchise game changing QB i see him as an NFL starter who will be good enough to stick around but not take a team to the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back