PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Free Agency -- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I'm thinking. Obi is big even for a SS, and would seem to be a perfect fit for that hybrid S/LB position. That is of course if he has the speed and quickness to do it.

Any info on his 40 and 3 cone times?

See above for a quick look at his tape.

Here are his testing numbers, as well as how they stack up to his peers. Don't be thrown off by the red mark on SS and 3-cone; he's only .05 seconds off the green mark of above average. For his size those are still solid numbers. What stands out to me; his 10 yard split, his broad jump, and his vertical. He is insanely explosive and has long arms for a DB, so he's able to disrupt a much larger radius than expected.

upload_2018-10-26_13-23-39.png

Melifonwu played SS for UConn where he was a tackling machine and had no injury history.

6040/224 (pre-draft)
... 4.40/40, 1.51/10yd .. 17 reps .. 44" vert/140" lj .. 4.30 shuttle/7.07 3-cone

Played a total of 42 ST snaps and 34 D-snaps for the Raiders last season in five mid-season appearances .. 26 of the D-snaps against the Pats in Mexico (his only start). Made six tackles on the season.

Melifonwu missed time early in 2017 Camp due to an ankle injury, and then was put on IR-Return for the regular season apparently with a knee injury. He returned for the 5-game mid-season stretch, then went back on IR for hip surgery. He missed most of Camp again this year, and was waived to IR again, this time for a "lower body injury."

Today's visit may be mostly a health check.
That's not a good 3 cone time at all, which would explain about him NOT being able to cover "twitchy" receivers. So I'm not sure if is really IS suited to play that hybrid role like Telvin Smith does so well for the Jags

That's not a good 3 cone time at all, which would explain about him NOT being able to cover "twitchy" receivers. So I'm not sure if is really IS suited to play that hybrid role like Telvin Smith does so well for the Jags

I'm not sure .03 seconds counts for much, particularly when he has Smith beat in every single other category, including short shuttle. :)

Obviously there's more to movement that testing numbers. Smith plays more fluidly and with better anticipation. Obi has a lot of potential, though.

upload_2018-10-26_13-40-24.png

That's what I'm thinking. Obi is big even for a SS, and would seem to be a perfect fit for that hybrid S/LB position. That is of course if he has the speed and quickness to do it.

Any info on his 40 and 3 cone times?

4.40- 40
7.07- 3 Cone

Interesting clips - I should have reminded myself that football knowledge and the ability to correctly anticipate plays CAN overcome that lack of quickness I mentioned before.

So now the question becomes, what is his football IQ? Is he a student of the game? Does he love the game enough to be more than just his athletic ability? Wasn't one of the reasons the Raiders gave up on him was a question on whether he wanted to keep playing the game. It isn't for everyone, regardless of their athletic gifts.

So assuming Obi convinces the Pats that he's all in, and they sign him. Who do they cut?

I'm not sure .03 seconds counts for much, particularly when he has Smith beat in every single other category, including short shuttle. :)

Obviously there's more to movement that testing numbers. Smith plays more fluidly and with better anticipation. Obi has a lot of potential, though.

View attachment 21613
What you're saying is Smith plays faster than his times and Obi plays a bit slower.

So the question, as I've mentioned after your post really becomes does he have the desire to learn the game so he too can play faster than his times.

Diggs had a 7.02 time in the 3 come and I’d say that he’s plenty twitchy. Sometimes numbers correlate to play on the field and sometime numbers are just numbers. I’ll leave it to BB, his staff and his scouts to determine how he would fit. I’m intrigued.

Speed is not always "the number".

The person playing this position as to have good instincts and can "anticipate" on what route the runner is going to be doing. If the person does not have this type of skill, does not matter if person is 1 second faster than other players.

Players who mostly make it work, somehow:

J. Jones = 4.25 shuttle ... 7.25 3-cone
Dawson = 4.39 shuttle ... 7.02 3-cone
Chung = 4.24 shuttle ... 7.11 3-cone
Harmon = 4.40 shuttle ... 7.02 3-cone

Counter example:

Rowe = 3.97 shuttle ... 6.70 3-cone

Well, I got bored at work so I clipped some plays anyway. Don't tell my boss. :)

I'll list just a few plays from a variety of his games. He really needs time and coaching to develop. I can't stress that enough. But the reason I wanted to draft him is his almost unparalleled size and speed combo. He's in the top ten all time of testing metrics for strong safeties. In time, if he put in the work on the mental and technique side, he could be an ideal Chung replacement.

He moves pretty well in space, despite only average-for-a-safety agility numbers in testing (they're certainly on par with or better than most linebackers, however), but he excels in straight line foot races to the ball moving laterally across the field. Considering how often our defenses struggles horizontal play speed, I'd be interested in seeing how he develops here for that reason alone. If I have time later, I'll post some clips like that. Most of the below is just standard safety play.

There's nothing special about this play, but I do want to highlight that he reacts quickly to come downhill, he covers a lot of ground, and he's generally a secure tackler.

Here's an example of the role he could play. Now, I don't like his footwork and hips in this example, and he's passive with his hands, so he gives up leverage because of these various technique deficiencies, but he's got enough length and athleticism to still find the ball and prevent a catch.

Again, not an amazing play here, but he's much better downhill than out on an island.

Some good, some negative: he's late to pick up the TE in his zone, but he does a good job undercutting the route and running through the interception. Many of his interceptions came in the red zone in reduced space, where his length and acceleration let him run along the goal line and beat receivers to the ball (an earlier pick against Temple comes to mind), or where he can shut down holes in zone coverage due to his size and speed. Still, he's relying on athleticism too much. He needs time to improve technique and develop more game sense.

Not a lot of snaps available from his regular season play. Here's a quick view of his first preseason game of his career. He played too slow and reactionary, but remember he was coming back from injury and seeing his first game snaps. I did like the potential he showed when they lined him up in the box, but he got sucked in with playaction too often, and the speed of the NFL seemed to catch him off guard. His angles were more than a little iffy.

Thanks @reamer, great job! Nice to see this tape again i enjoyed watching back then.

I think it could go down to his market now. If its 53 it might be difficult to take him on with Duke coming back despite being thin at LB/ST/S . esp. since he might not be ready to play/practice fully. If its PS i hope he chooses NE (and NE him) . but that could affect D.Jones so im kind of torn here ;)

Other than that: downfield monster, proud STer that struggles in coverage and can't stay healthy - the kid was born to be a Pat..

Last edited:
When last we heard from free agent wide receiver Jeremy Maclin, he was nursing a hamstring injury but still hoping to play this season. But the hamstring injury has proven to be more serious than he believed.

Maclin needs surgery for the injury and will not play this season, Mike Garafolo of NFL Network reports.

Jeremy Maclin will not play this year

Nice to see Antonio's NFL dream still alive . pity not back with Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft