PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Draft Prospect Thread

Waddle or Cannon haven’t signed anywhere yet have they? I think both did well with their opportunities.

Waddle or Cannon haven’t signed anywhere yet have they? I think both did well with their opportunities.
You mean Fleming? Cannon is signed.
Dont forget about Garcia and Andrew Jelks

You mean Fleming? Cannon is signed.
Dont forget about Garcia and Andrew Jelks

Yes I did, sorry. I was high on Garcia last year, but who knows with him.

I was as happy & excited about last year's class as I have been during this era.

Rivers was a top 5 guy for me & Garcia was my #1 OT. Had Wise #20.

Disappointing but you can't get mad at injuries.

Just got finished watching a bunch of film of te Ian Thomas of Indiana.

A couple of things:

1.) he ran option routes st Indiana. That is huge because bb’s offense is all about option routes. Not saying Thomas ran them correctly, but he did correctly read the safeties.

2.) he blocked a little. He’s not in gronkowski’s class, but I think he could be one of the better blockers in this draft class.

This is a guy that needs to be on our draft board.

Just got finished watching a bunch of film of te Ian Thomas of Indiana.

A couple of things:

1.) he ran option routes st Indiana. That is huge because bb’s offense is all about option routes. Not saying Thomas ran them correctly, but he did correctly read the safeties.

2.) he blocked a little. He’s not in gronkowski’s class, but I think he could be one of the better blockers in this draft class.

This is a guy that needs to be on our draft board.

I'm finishing up my list of P-TP now. He's on it.

Anyone you guys think should be on the list please hmu in my thread.

Looking at him as we speak. He's a monster. Def P-TP material & like you said we're gona add some depth or do something there.

@Snooky97 @captain stone

You all mentioned Kolton Miller recently. I had written him off earlier in the season, because I disliked how passive he was in his set. He rarely punches, instead opting to catch rushers as they come, and his hands get too far outside, causing him to grab and occasionally hold. Well, I just finished a deep dive on his 2017 season, and I am incredibly impressed. Other than this technical flaw, which can be cleaned up (paging Scar!), his game is absolutely perfect for the Patriots.

Let's get one thing out of the way: his height isn't going to be a detriment. He didn't struggle with leverage in any of the games I watched. He has very good knee bend, and his core strength is leagues better than McDermott's from last year, the other tall and athletic UCLA tackle. We drafted him in the 6th, and he was one of my most sure-fire locks to the Patriots, based on his tape and athletic profile; he didn't make it in camp, but he's with Buffalo now. I always thought he lacked a little functional power, but that it would come with time. Miller is far better at absorbing contact and re-anchoring.

Miller is also quite solid in the run game, and UCLA often ran left in short yardage to take advantage of his ability to fire off the ball. Three things stood out positively to me: 1) his enormous range in space when pulling, and the ability to lock onto a target and make the block; 2) quickness to the outside -- he can beat the DE to the edge, and then turn and wall off the defender on outside running plays, which is tough for any tackle; and 3) whenever he finishes a block, he looks for more work to do. I hate passive line play, so this kind of attitude is always encouraging to me.

Against the pass, his kick step is low and wide. He just eats up ground in pass pro, easily shutting off the corner against speed. His redirection against inside counters -- one of Solder's few weaknesses at times -- is also shockingly good for a tall guy. His knee bend and relatively low base for his size allow him to mitigate the lack of leverage that his height might suggest. While he's not overpowering against bull rushes, he does display the ability to reset his feet, and he's got a better than advertised anchor. There's a lot of natural athleticism to work with, and if he can improve his punch and get his hands inside the blocker's frame, he can dominate against speed and power.

Overall, I see Miller strongly in play for 43. Much better player than I originally thought.

Last edited:
@Snooky97 @captain stone

You all mentioned Kolton Miller recently. I had written him off earlier in the season, because I disliked how passive he was in his set. He rarely punches, instead opting to catch rushers as they come, and his hands get too far outside, causing him to grab and occasionally hold. Well, I just finished a deep dive on his 2017 season, and I am incredibly impressed. Other than this technical flaw, which can be cleaned up (paging Scar!), his game is absolutely perfect for the Patriots.

Let's get one thing out of the way: his height isn't going to be a detriment. He didn't struggle with leverage in any of the games I watched. He has very good knee bend, and his core strength is leagues better than McDermott's from last year, the other tall and athletic UCLA tackle. We drafted him in the 6th, and he was one of my most sure-fire locks to the Patriots, based on his tape and athletic profile; he didn't make it in camp, but he's with Buffalo now. I always thought he lacked a little functional power, but that it would come with time. Miller is far better at absorbing contact and re-anchoring.

Miller also quite solid in the run game, and UCLA often ran left in short yardage to take advantage of his ability to fire off the ball. Three things stood out positively to me: 1) his enormous range in space when pulling, and the ability to lock onto a target and make the block; 2) quickness to the outside -- he can beat the DE to the edge, and then turn and wall off the defender on outside running plays, which is tough for any tackle; and 3) whenever he finishes a block, he looks for more work to do. I hate passive line play, so this kind of attitude is always encouraging to me.

Against the pass, his kick step is low and wide. He just eats up ground in pass pro, easily shutting off the corner against speed. His redirection against inside counters -- one of Solder's few weaknesses at times -- is also shockingly good for a tall guy. His knee bend and relatively low base for his size allow him to mitigate the lack of leverage that his height might suggest. While he's not overpowering against bull rushes, he does display the ability to reset his feet, and he's got a better than advertised anchor. There's a lot of natural athleticism to work with, and if he can improve his punch and get his hands inside the blocker's frame, he can dominate against speed and power.

Overall, I see Miller strongly in play for 43. Much better player than I originally thought.

Very nice write up.

1. I see him going in the first in most mocks now so will he even be there at 31 or 43. Note: that doesn’t mean he deserves to go there but I think most people are factoring in the OT market.

2. How would you view him versus Brian O’Neill?

Very nice write up.

1. I see him going in the first in most mocks now so will he even be there at 31 or 43. Note: that doesn’t mean he deserves to go there but I think most people are factoring in the OT market.

2. How would you view him versus Brian O’Neill?

O'Neill lacks technique and refinement. Super athletic, but I don't like his footwork; he gets beat more than he should for his movement skills. He also lacks some sand in his pants. Not a bad developmental guy, but compared with Miller, he's at least a year further behind in development. I wouldn't trust O'Neill as a starter yet, but I think Miller could step in and do a solid job.

Saw Caserio was at Wisconsin Pro Day yesterday

Scouting CB Nick Nelson and LB Jack Cichy

Don't know much about Cichy but apparently he's an injury prone first round talent that should go Day 2 coming off a torn knee but looks to be progressing well

Nelson should go late Day 2, Day 3 and reminds me of Logan Ryan coming out, quite the playmaker, always around the ball and plays hard...Would be a higher pick in '19 if he stayed at Wisconsin

O'Neill lacks technique and refinement. Super athletic, but I don't like his footwork; he gets beat more than he should for his movement skills. He also lacks some sand in his pants. Not a bad developmental guy, but compared with Miller, he's at least a year further behind in development. I wouldn't trust O'Neill as a starter yet, but I think Miller could step in and do a solid job.

Can’t we get a “solid job” from Waddle or Fleming? I agree that Miller is a little better in pass pro but for me, O’Neill is a Solder clone on the move. I’ll watch both more closely but I personally prefer O’Neill’s value over Miller, assuming Miller goes round one or high round two.

Saw Caserio was at Wisconsin Pro Day yesterday

Scouting CB Nick Nelson and LB Jack Cichy

Don't know much about Cichy but apparently he's an injury prone first round talent that should go Day 2 coming off a torn knee but looks to be progressing well

Nelson should go late Day 2, Day 3 and reminds me of Logan Ryan coming out, quite the playmaker, always around the ball and plays hard...Would be a higher pick in '19 if he stayed at Wisconsin

I approve of the Ryan comparison: Pro Day Schedule

:D

Can’t we get a “solid job” from Waddle or Fleming? I agree that Miller is a little better in pass pro but for me, O’Neill is a Solder clone on the move. I’ll watch both more closely but I personally prefer O’Neill’s value over Miller, assuming Miller goes round one or high round two.

O'Neill just frustrates me with his tendency to narrow his base through contact. At times, he gets too upright and starts to wrestle, and his feet can go dead, robbing him of power. Other times he crosses over and gets tripped up. He doesn't seem as balanced or centered of a player as Miller. It's all correctable, and as you say, he's great on the move.

I guess if we're looking at replacing Solder, though, then Miller can actually start this year, while O'Neill would take a backseat to Waddle/Fleming (assuming we re-sign them), and I don't think he's as skilled as Garcia was a year ago. By the time they're both healthy and up to speed, I would assume Garcia would be the better player, so for me there's much less on field value to O'Neill even if he's a 3rd rounder vs 1st rounder.

Love it when we have differing takes, though. Keeps me on my toes. :)

A useful side by side comparison

Forty yard dash
Lane Johnson — 4.72
Kolton Miller — 4.95

Ten yard split
Lane Johnson — 1.68
Kolton Miller — 1.67

Short shuttle
Lane Johnson — 4.52
Kolton Miller — 4.49

Three cone
Lane Johnson — 7.31
Kolton Miller — 7.34

Vertical jump
Lane Johnson — 34 inches
Kolton Miller — 31.5 inches

Broad jump
Lane Johnson — 9-10
Kolton Miller — 10-1

Bench press
Lane Johnson — 28
Kolton Miller — 24

Some thoughts on UCLA’s Kolton Miller | Seahawks Draft Blog

Just as I was getting on board with the pick

“Kolton Miller now looks locked for the middle of round one”

A useful side by side comparison

Forty yard dash
Lane Johnson — 4.72
Kolton Miller — 4.95

Ten yard split
Lane Johnson — 1.68
Kolton Miller — 1.67

Short shuttle
Lane Johnson — 4.52
Kolton Miller — 4.49

Three cone
Lane Johnson — 7.31
Kolton Miller — 7.34

Vertical jump
Lane Johnson — 34 inches
Kolton Miller — 31.5 inches

Broad jump
Lane Johnson — 9-10
Kolton Miller — 10-1

Bench press
Lane Johnson — 28
Kolton Miller — 24

Some thoughts on UCLA’s Kolton Miller | Seahawks Draft Blog

Good review. Also, I noticed they profiled my Wisconsin boys. They always like the players I like. Love their surprised reaction to just how good Nelson was this season.

Almost disliked this post, but I didn't want to shoot the messenger. ;)

Cleveland in a trade back from four or trade up from 33 makes a ton of sense. The 49ers and Seahawks are showing interest too.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back