PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Draft Prospect Thread

I hate this team sometimes. They are in my head real deep. For example, isn’t the fact that we heard the team is really interested in Litton a sign that the team isn’t really interested in Litton?

Just remember that they probably do have interest all the times it's reported. There are 31 other teams out there, too. Sometimes you can't get all the guys you target.

Just remember that they probably do have interest all the times it's reported. There are 31 other teams out there, too. Sometimes you can't get all the guys you target.
I agree. I was mostly kidding. Playing on the whole Patriots smoke & mirrors angle. I should’ve added a smiley face. ;)

I'l be adding a bunch of stuff this weekend. Just finished Key actually. Instant pass rush but a real liability in the run. Mystery surrounding his "personal reason" for taking time, I guess it could be nothing. Who knows? He was up to 280 at one point.

He's working with Chuck Smith which is great news for him. Coaches say he works hard. I'l add him today with others.

Is it just me or is Arden Key one of the most unlikely Patriots ever? Undersize, bad against the run, bad character.

Is it just me or is Arden Key one of the most unlikely Patriots ever? Undersize, bad against the run, bad character.

Yea I couldn't imagine us drafting him tbh.

I heard rumors about him last year, true or not, I'm sure NFL teams are finding out a lot more if there's anything there.

The weight gain & loss pertains to what I heard as well.

Where do people stand on Harrison Phillips at 31? That’s a pick I could get behind.

And I just watched Lorenzo Carter. Nice upside but a Marcus Smith type downside too. His explosion/speed is unreal but I’m not sure what else there is really. Saw two games and his pressures were almost all on unblocked plays (that’s where I was caught out by Marcus Smith). I would take Hubbard over Carter for the higher floor if nothing else.

Edit: Thought about Carter a little more. You can sell me on him as an off the ball linebacker that blitzes but I don’t see him in that edge role - I don’t think he sets the edge well enough.

Last edited:
I like the potential of the pick at 31 in this draft for the Pats but don’t love it. I think there’s a bunch of good solid five year starters available but I’m not convinced there’s a pro-bowler here That I’ve seen as of yet. It’s more of a Malcolm Brown rather than a Jones/Hightower draft for me. I do like the number of options though.

Last edited:
If we miss out in FA and with our first two picks at CB, sign me up for some Quenton Meeks at the back end of the second round. Excellent testing (6.72) 3-cone, excellent size at 6’1” and 32” arms, a press man corner who is very good in run support (plenty of plays where he takes on a pulling guard Mano a mano). My only question is long speed - he didn’t run at the combine. And as a Stanford guy, he comes across as smart.

Where do people stand on Harrison Phillips at 31? That’s a pick I could get behind.

And I just watched Lorenzo Carter. Nice upside but a Marcus Smith type downside too. His explosion/speed is unreal but I’m not sure what else there is really. Saw two games and his pressures were almost all on unblocked plays (that’s where I was caught out by Marcus Smith). I would take Hubbard over Carter for the higher floor if nothing else.

Edit: Thought about Carter a little more. You can sell me on him as an off the ball linebacker that blitzes but I don’t see him in that edge role - I don’t think he sets the edge well enough.

Do you an NFL comp. for Phillips & what type of ceiling he could be?

Tell me what Phillips does that Guy doesn't already do. That's where I get hung up. I'd like a little bit more from a first rounder. Not a bad player, though; I like his film just fine.

Carter would be off the ball. I can't see him converting to edge full time. Not enough sand in the pants. Plus it takes away from his special speed and open field ability -- just let him run around and chase down plays.

If we miss out in FA and with our first two picks at CB, sign me up for some Quenton Meeks at the back end of the second round. Excellent testing (6.72) 3-cone, excellent size at 6’1” and 32” arms, a press man corner who is very good in run support (plenty of plays where he takes on a pulling guard Mano a mano). My only question is long speed - he didn’t run at the combine. And as a Stanford guy, he comes across as smart.

Meeks is the smartest corner you'll find. His interviews are incredible. I love his savvy, and his explosion numbers were excellent. I do worry about long speed, but as a physical press corner, he can mitigate some of that concern by taking on the Jeffries and Benjamins of the world and avoiding the burners. From a technical standpoint, he's more proficient than Rowe, although I still like Rowe as a matchup guy. If Meeks hits his ceiling, he's the next Sherman. I'm just not sure he'll get there. Intriguing player, though.

I see Meeks as more of an end-of-3rd-round guy than an end-of-2nd-round guy. There should still be better players, including those at his own position, available at 63.

I see Meeks as more of an end-of-3rd-round guy than an end-of-2nd-round guy. There should still be better players, including those at his own position, available at 63.

Skills wise he’s better than that but his forty time might determine different. He’s a good no2 CB, I’m not convinced he’s a no1 yet. But it’s very nice to see the effort he puts in in run support, he’s not afraid to hit hard and that’s a must for a Patriot CB.

Tell me what Phillips does that Guy doesn't already do. That's where I get hung up. I'd like a little bit more from a first rounder. Not a bad player, though; I like his film just fine.

Carter would be off the ball. I can't see him converting to edge full time. Not enough sand in the pants. Plus it takes away from his special speed and open field ability -- just let him run around and chase down plays.

Agree on the latter. I like Phillips’ ability to get penetration more than Guy.

Do you an NFL comp. for Phillips & what type of ceiling he could be?

Sorry, I’m not very good with comps. I think his ceiling is Malcom Brown-esque. Good reliable starter with the ability to make a defensive impact at times but not consistently enough to warrant consideration for a pro-bowl.

Sorry, I’m not very good with comps. I think his ceiling is Malcom Brown-esque. Good reliable starter with the ability to make a defensive impact at times but not consistently enough to warrant consideration for a pro-bowl.

I think Brown is better, and pretty underrated. Phillips had nice stats, but I'm not convinced that he's going to transition to the NFL game very quickly. Maybe I'm overly harsh, but I don't see him cracking the rotation of Shelton, Valentine, Brown, Guy, and Butler. I could have been convinced prior to the trade, though.

I think Brown is better, and pretty underrated. Phillips had nice stats, but I'm not convinced that he's going to transition to the NFL game very quickly. Maybe I'm overly harsh, but I don't see him cracking the rotation of Shelton, Valentine, Brown, Guy, and Butler. I could have been convinced prior to the trade, though.

To be fair my post was written before the Shelton trade. I don’t think they should draft a DT in the first now. And I’m not as high on Brown as you are. He’s fine, but no more than that in my opinion.

They had him line up everywhere at times.

Final look now.

So are main needs now that we have Shelton I’d say personally are.

LB, Pass Rusher, Corner.. I’d also be inclined at Safety as well especially Reid from Stanford, reminds me of Matthieu but with more size.

Hopefully NE spends one of their first two picks on a LB

Pass rusher may be addressed through both draft and FA, but I'd like to sign Trent Murphy

Corner I'd really prefer a Vet, but the pickings are slim

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back