PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018-19 Stanley Cup - Bruins vs Blues

You're telling me game 5 was on the up and up? At least I'm consustent. I won't make the mistake of investing any energy in this sham league again. Game 5 is inexcusable on many levels, from integrity of fair play to player safety.
No I'm telling you the reason they lost the series was not the reasons they lost Game 5

Blaming the league and the refs for losses is chickenshit.

We make fun of other teams that pull that crap on the NEP.

We are better than that.

I would agree it was most saveable, but most redirect saves are nothing more than positional. Looks like he was position-ally up and the tip goes five hole.

O'Rielly was a ****ing monster. Pavelski-esque with the tips.

Yeah we definitely hosed the Sabres on that trade.

I would agree it was most saveable, but most redirect saves are nothing more than positional. Looks like he was position-ally up and the tip goes five hole.

O'Rielly was a ****ing monster. Pavelski-esque with the tips.
These unexplained events happen when you're due.

The Blues were never losing this series after never winning the cup in franchise history. The Eagles had just about everything go their way and then you top it off with Butler benched. Adversity builds resilience.

What more do you want? There was a game 7 in the Bruins own barn and they couldn't score a goal until 4 mins left. Is that the NHL's fault? They could have called many things this series against the Bruins like the Chara slash in game 1 that would have given the Blues a 5 on 3 power play, the Marchand slew foot, or for too-many-men on the ice.

I've said this for years that NHL and NFL refs help manufacture game 7s to boost TV ratings and fan enthusiasm and then they let the teams play in game 7 in order to say they didn't have a hand in the outcome.

A slash while shorthanded after a soft as **** call? That slash? Whoopdee doo. Lightyears from allowing two blatant and obvious penalties to directly result in goals. When the Blues were lucky to be in the series the way things had gone. Completely changed the entire thing.

If you admit they engineer things, I'm disturbed you even wrote your first paragraph. Across society in general, there is a worrisome acceptance of accountability for failure. The crew on the ice failed that night. The league that employs them failed to hold them accoubtable. And we all are so used to exoensive, floundering, failing gov't bodies that we think its normal.

You question my disdain for the dishonesty, then turn and admit its obviously going on. That sounds like a you problem.

Yeah, there were a few noncalls the bruins way. There were 4 i can recall off hand the blues way in game 5 alone. 2 directly lead to goals. 4 pp for the bruins statistically is at least 1 goal. Thats a 3 goal swing. Thats insane. Its an illigitimate cup, end of story.

Honestly, I don't think it's a coincidence with the rams leaving town. Bettman tried to win over lifers with a gifted cup. Shame on the media for not blasting game 5.

No I'm telling you the reason they lost the series was not the reasons they lost Game 5

We are better than that.
The Bruins got outplayed.

Task saved them so many times and couldn't do it last night. During this series the Blues lived in the Boston end 5 on 5 and couldn't get by Rask. Losing the puck in the Boston end came back to bite the Bruins. Passing the puck too much.

We are better than that.

Normally I'd at least buy the sentiment, but Game 5 was too much. I can't watch something like that and not think the league is tilting things. I can't support that. Too blatant not to address it. At least the NFL addressed the NFC CG disaster. I still feel the Pats should have played the saints, i'd have no qualms labelling this SB as tainted as a result. Thats on the league. They gave the young upstarts an unearned W against a team that's been a league enemy for years. Nobody wanted Brady/Brees competing with 5 head. Seam Payton has the same disdain and contempt for Goodell that BB does. It's no coincidence.

The refs cost the Bruins game 5. The refs cost the saints a trip to the SB.

These unexplained events happen when you're due.

The Blues were never losing this series after never winning the cup in franchise history. The Eagles had just about everything go their way and then you top it off with Butler benched. Adversity builds resilience.

There really wasn't much unexplained here though.

The Blues played a style of game that was more prevalent 5-10 years ago and the Bruins had nothing to counter. The fact that it went 7 to me speaks more about the Bruins dealing with adversity than it does the Blues.

If we were all talking on the morning of Memorial Day and I said "the following things are going to happen in the Final":

Bergy/Marshmont/Pasta will combine for 5 Goals and 8 Assists with a -13 +/-

The line combo of Krejci/DeBrusk/Backes/Kuhlman will combine for 2 Goals and 5 Assists with a +6 +/-

Chad Clifton will play meaningful minutes and be a -1

The combination of Pasta, McAvoy, Bergy,Marshmont, Krug, MoJo, Heinen, Gryz will combine for a -26 +/-

Chara will be hindered by a busted jaw

Gryz will miss the majority of the series due to injury.

Every poster here being honest with themselves would say "well ****, the Bs are going to get run out of the series".

None of these things are unexplained. All of these things point to a team that got dominated and forced a series to go the distance in spite of their play. If the Bs were playing a team with a tad more offense in their game, this series would have been anything but a 7 game series.

The Blues played a style of game that was more prevalent 5-10 years ago and the Bruins had nothing to counter. The fact that it went 7 to me speaks more about the Bruins dealing with adversity than it does the Blues.

If we were all talking on the morning of Memorial Day and I said "the following things are going to happen in the Final":

The line combo of Krejci/DeBrusk/Backes/Kuhlman will combine for 2 Goals and 5 Assists with a +6 +/-

The combination of Pasta, McAvoy, Bergy,Marshmont, Krug, MoJo, Heinen, Gryz will combine for a -26 +/-

Every poster here being honest with themselves would say "well ****, the Bs are going to get run out of the series".

None of these things are unexplained. All of these things point to a team that got dominated and forced a series to go the distance in spite of their play. If the Bs were playing a team with a tad more offense in their game, this series would have been anything but a 7 game series.

And if the refs called the game per the rule book, the blues lose game 5 1-0, if not 2 or 3-0. You are right, it shouldnt have gone 7. Bs would have won in 6.

I said after game 5 idgaf what happens because I was done. I dont know how anyone who watched that joke can sit here and pretend that was on the up and up.

I am so sad. Time for a nap. :(

And if the refs called the game per the rule book, the blues lose game 5 1-0, if not 2 or 3-0. You are right, it shouldnt have gone 7. Bs would have won in 6.

I said after game 5 idgaf what happens because I was done. I dont know how anyone who watched that joke can sit here and pretend that was on the up and up.

I have problems with the officiating as well. There are parallels to be drawn for me to SB 52 where the way things were called all year (in that case catches, in this case head hunting) were for some reason called differently. That is a problem.

To me the NHL can't dip their toe in here; either all games including the playoffs, have no room for fighting and headshots, or none do. And if they are going to straddle this fence, Bettman is creating a situation he claims to not want. He wants a Speed and Skill game but then "rewards" clutch and grab, interferring, tripping, head hunting when it matters most. If I'm a GM of a team on the cusp next season, I am absolutely having a Thorty type player on my team. Someone who wont hurt me too much, but who will bust someone in the face when they take a run at one of the their teammates. Do you think Barbasol is taking runs at people the way he did if a Shawn Thorton is available to whoop his ass?

All that being said, I have accepted the entertainment aspects of American sports long ago. The reluctance to utilize technology and "more eyes" to get things right; in any of the sports, tells you all you need to know. "The Human Element", "Judgement Calls", "Tradition","it will slow the game down too much" are all cop outs. But fighting that is like pissing in the wind. The games are too fast to have one set of humans call it accurately. Football and Hockey specifically should have a full second set of officials in the booth watching every camera angle possible on every play. Not to call a hold here or a a trip away from the play there. They won't though because leaving it "traditional, like the way it was when Concrete Charlie played!" leaves them an out, it gives them plausible deniability if they want to "build the drama"; which is what advertisers insist on as they're the ones paying.

But the way the series was called has nothing to do with two lines barely showing up. Whether it was injury, fatigue, or just getting their **** stuffed in, the top two lines failed this team. Just like the defense did in SB 52. The refs didn't leave Jordan Richards out there trying to cover people he can't. The refs didn't cause the vast majority of the Bs best players to go -26.

meh....I turned it off after the 1st period......between the goal with 7 sec left and watching Bergie not be able to get to easy pucks, I knew it was going to be bad......they were out of bullets.....

considering St Louis has been licking Boston boots for 50 years, I can live with it......the B's took us to the end of the NHL season and now there's only 5-6 weeks until training camp.....in the meantime, we can get the popcorn ready for the continuing soap opera known as the celtics

You're telling me game 5 was on the up and up? At least I'm consustent. I won't make the mistake of investing any energy in this sham league again. Game 5 is inexcusable on many levels, from integrity of fair play to player safety.

The bruins were outplayed in game 5 anyway

Is this your first time watching hockey? The refs never call ALL the rules violations. The game would last 4 hours if they did.

Sobotka was part of that deal correct?

And Berglund. And Tage Thompson was the best prospect we gave up. Didn’t have to part with Thomas or Kyrou. Add to that the 1st rounder they received is now a late 1.

And Berglund. And Tage Thompson was the best prospect we gave up. Didn’t have to part with Thomas or Kyrou. Add to that the 1st rounder they received is now a late 1.

In terms of results to date, Hose Job. :D

In terms of results to date, Hose Job. :D

Hopefully buffalo drafts well. That will soften the blow. No matter what O’Reilly does from this point still a win from the blues prospective with a cup win.

I have problems with the officiating as well. There are parallels to be drawn for me to SB 52 where the way things were called all year (in that case catches, in this case head hunting) were for some reason called differently. That is a problem.

To me the NHL can't dip their toe in here; either all games including the playoffs, have no room for fighting and headshots, or none do. And if they are going to straddle this fence, Bettman is creating a situation he claims to not want. He wants a Speed and Skill game but then "rewards" clutch and grab, interferring, tripping, head hunting when it matters most. If I'm a GM of a team on the cusp next season, I am absolutely having a Thorty type player on my team. Someone who wont hurt me too much, but who will bust someone in the face when they take a run at one of the their teammates. Do you think Barbasol is taking runs at people the way he did if a Shawn Thorton is available to whoop his ass?

All that being said, I have accepted the entertainment aspects of American sports long ago. The reluctance to utilize technology and "more eyes" to get things right; in any of the sports, tells you all you need to know. "The Human Element", "Judgement Calls", "Tradition","it will slow the game down too much" are all cop outs. But fighting that is like pissing in the wind. The games are too fast to have one set of humans call it accurately. Football and Hockey specifically should have a full second set of officials in the booth watching every camera angle possible on every play. Not to call a hold here or a a trip away from the play there. They won't though because leaving it "traditional, like the way it was when Concrete Charlie played!" leaves them an out, it gives them plausible deniability if they want to "build the drama"; which is what advertisers insist on as they're the ones paying.

But the way the series was called has nothing to do with two lines barely showing up. Whether it was injury, fatigue, or just getting their **** stuffed in, the top two lines failed this team. Just like the defense did in SB 52. The refs didn't leave Jordan Richards out there trying to cover people he can't. The refs didn't cause the vast majority of the Bs best players to go -26.

And the 3rd and 4th lines did enough to overcome it. I know they don't call everything, this isn't a slash away from play. These are two easily identifiable calls that lead directly to points when they werent called. I didnt mention all the uncalled interference, the shots high to chara (shenn 1st shift every night). They claimed skill and speed and literally just gave the cup to the biggest collections if goons that managed to make the playoffs. Its a joke.

I've watched plenty of hockey, and never witnessed a bag job as egregious as Game 5 outside of the NBA. The NFCCG comes close, but wasnt fir a championship. It was going on all game long.

The bruins were outplayed in game 5 anyway

Is this your first time watching hockey? The refs never call ALL the rules violations. The game would last 4 hours if they did.

Did i say call every little thing? Nope. But have consistency minimum. Call egregious game changing plays. They didnt do that at all in game 5. The blues were outplayed in the first last night and the scoreboard read 2-0. Rask stole game 5 and the league outright handed it back to the Blues.

Last edited:
And the 3rd and 4th lines did enough to overcome it. I know they don't call everything, this isn't a slash away from play. These are two easily identifiable calls that lead directly to points when they werent called. I didnt mention all the uncalled interference, the shots high to chara (shenn 1st shift every night). They claimed skill and speed and literally just gave the cup to the biggest collections if goons that managed to make the playoffs. Its a joke.

I've watched plenty of hockey, and never witnessed a bag job as egregious as Game 5 outside of the NBA. The NFCCG comes close, but wasnt fir a championship. It was going on all game long.

Did i say call every little thing? Nope. But have consistency minimum. Call egregious game changing plays. They didnt do that at all in game 5. The blues were outplayed in the first last night and the scoreboard read 2-0. Rask stole game 5 and the league outright handed it back to the Blues.

Ok, but the Blues were given the shaft in game 1...like I said, it evens out over the course of a series. Bottom line is the series was tied heading into game 7. Boston had every opportunity to win game 7 and they didn’t show up. The slate was wiped clean for both teams after game 6, so the egregious calls and non-calls in games 1-6 did not affect the series.

Last edited:

And how did the league hand it back to the blues last night? By letting them play (combined 1 penalty)? I thought last night was a pretty clean game from both sides.

From my end it looked like Rask played great game 6 and helped the Bs bring it back home for game 7. And Binnington took it back last night with stellar goaltending.

Unexplained events.

Thank you.

Chara busting his jaw on a freak play. A line change with 8 seconds left resulting in a Blues goal. Binginton suddenly looking like Rask.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back