PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018-19 Stanley Cup - Bruins vs Blues

From my seat, and this may be way over simplifying it, the parallels to 2011 are all over this series.

More offensive skilled team get ”bullied” out of their game. The top lines of the Bs and Canucks disappeared from the series as a result.

OT loser in Game2

Game3 is a blow out. Unlike 2011, the Bs let Bennington off the mat in G4.

Game6 blowout

Inverse Game7 blowout

The Blues neutralized the top two lines in a manner they could.

Tough to win when your 3/4 lines are carrying the play; they have a ceiling.

Bs don’t have a Thorty, Soupy, Looch anymore to keep other teams honest. The game apparently changed, until it didn’t.

As I said after Game5 I believe, I wonder if how the Blues did it, and how the league acquiesced to their play and Berube’s *****ing will cause GMs to build a buffer going forward

I can't see game 5 and continue watching this **** as anything other than WWE scripted nonsense.

You couple it all with the CTE/cost to play/time commitment and where is the sport really going?

Worst to first and "three blind mice in stripes" are here for short ratings bump.

The guys who win it next year should engrave an asterisk over the blues names, they dont deserve to be there with the rest, sorry.

Sucks for the players and fans, as its not their fault. Shame on the NHL.

What more do you want? There was a game 7 in the Bruins own barn and they couldn't score a goal until 4 mins left. Is that the NHL's fault? They could have called many things this series against the Bruins like the Chara slash in game 1 that would have given the Blues a 5 on 3 power play, the Marchand slew foot, or for too-many-men on the ice.

I've said this for years that NHL and NFL refs help manufacture game 7s to boost TV ratings and fan enthusiasm and then they let the teams play in game 7 in order to say they didn't have a hand in the outcome.

We got into the game early. The city was just electric. Started out at Hurricanes but left because Portnoy and some Blues guy were doing a really annoying back and forth segment over the loudspeaker. The street was shutdown and all the networks were setup in the middle.

There were a lot of Blues fans there and I'm happy to say none of them got harassed.

From there we went to the Night Shift brewery. I hadn't been before and would recommend it. Great beer and food.

Going into the building it was insane. You could just feel the energy. I don't think this was overconfidence. There was a lot of nervous energy mixed in. If you've been to big games you know the feeling Im talking about and it was from everybody.

Our box was to Tuuka's right on the first and third periods. The box next to us hd Aly Raisman, Curt Schilling, Gronk and his girlfriend Camille. Camille is even hotter in person. I always thought she was tiny just because she's always next to Gronk. I looked it up this morning and she's listed at 5'8" and there's no flipping way she's that tall. Maybe its just because she's so thin but when she and Raisman hugged they seemed the same height and she's listed at 5'2" and they seemed the same height but Camille is half the width and I'm not calling Raisman fat.

This game played out to my worst fears. The Bruins completely dominated but just couldn't score. I looked at the guys I was with and said this isn't good having a 9-1 shot advantage which seems like 90-1 and there's no score. All of the Blues goals the B's left the slot wide open. We were all oh n0-ing a few seconds before as Blues players were in the slot with nobody on them. Marchand leaving the ice after covering for the defenseman and playing phantom defense everybody was screaming what are you doing.

Pasternak kept fanning on shot after shot. He also had a goal early if he had just gone 5 hole and not gotten cute. Hats off to Bennington but on the other hand the Bruins didn't make him practice rebound control because of where there shots were aimed and they weren't getting to the front of the net.

With the refs the tripping call was a miss but it wouldn't have mattered. The push to one of the B's head on a tie up was a dive. Not sure how that looked on TV but the crowd went crazy trying to help sell it but it was a dive.

After the first period that game just sucked. The Blues packed it in and kept dumping it out. They were turning down 2 on 2's and dumping it deep. Who can blame them? At that point it was like facing the 90's Devils trap. The fans kept trying to rally the team but then there would be yet another stupid turnover.

We stayed and watched the cup presentation because how many time do you get a chance to see it. There were a couple of hundred Blues fans who all handled themselves well. After the streets were packed and so quiet especially compared to before. It had the expected feeling of a wake.

We walked to Faneuil Hall to get a nightcap and because the Uber prices would be less further away from the peak event. All the bars were closed. Weird. Maybe the trouble not worth the money. We ended up going all the way to High Street.

So there's these 5 Navy guys. All pretty loaded. They're hitting on this girl who's 25-30. Cute, sweet, etc. They offer to drive her in their Uber. They could be the nicest guys in the world but you just don't get in that vehicle if you're smart. All three of us said to her don't get in. As she did I made eye contact and shook my head with a don't do it look and still she got in. Again no judgement on the guys they could be fine but you just never know. All my daughters will get this story today and how I'll kill them if they even think about it.

Congrats to the Blues, made it happen when they needed to. Very disappointing finish for the B's, but hey that's sports. You have to execute and they just couldn't get it done when they needed to most.

that was an awful shot. I knew once the goons scored it was over. especially the way it happened. the bruins were pounding the blues net. and got nothing. then 1 shot by the blues and in the net. that just kills the spirit of a team. it was a backbreaker.

Yup. As I was sitting there watching soon as Marshmont hit Binnington with that shot (he had the entire left side of the net wide open, but shot center) I said "welp, that could be the turning point, you let Binnington get comfy".

The first goal was 85% over for me....the one with 7 secs left screamed O-V-A.

Blues just don't give up leads with their style of play. They aren't risk takers offensively. Their game is simple. Get a lead and sit on it.

Probably the most improbable turnaround for any team to championship winner of any sport. Can’t imagine how happy you are after that win last night. Ridiculous turnaround. Binnington is something else.

One of the best attributes a goalie can have is a short memory. His ability to bounce back strong after a bad game is unreal.

The Blues should put Cassidy"s name on the cup. He said that he wanted it on there.

The 2nd goal was the turning point in the game when Cassidy had the Bruins change players with the puck in Boston's end and 8 seconds left in the 1st period.

Yup. As I was sitting there watching soon as Marshmont hit Binnington with that shot (he had the entire left side of the net wide open, but shot center) I said "welp, that could be the turning point, you let Binnington get comfy".

The first goal was 85% over for me....the one with 7 secs left screamed O-V-A.

Blues just don't give up leads with their style of play. They aren't risk takers offensively. Their game is simple. Get a lead and sit on it.

Not sure if anyone has brought this up but I wonder if the lack of shots Rask was facing in the 1st hurt him. Goalies can get cold when they go untested for long periods of time.

Congrats to the Blues, made it happen when they needed to. Very disappointing finish for the B's, but hey that's sports. You have to execute and they just couldn't get it done when they needed to most.
As a region we've been most fortunate but anytime a fan from another team says we have no idea what "sports agony" is I throw it back in their face.

Bruins- 2013, 2019
Celtics- 2010, 2018 ECF
NEP- 2007, 2011, 2017 and multiple AFCCG losses
Sox- 2003, 2008

With that said the Blues have never won a Cup in their 52 year history.

The Blues should put Cassidy"s name on the cup. He said that he wanted it on there.

The 2nd goal was the turning point in the game when Cassidy had the Bruins change players with the puck in Boston's end and 8 seconds left in the 1st period.
Cassidy had a brain fart. Horrible decision.

You don't change lines with 10 seconds left. ************.

Not sure if anyone has brought this up but I wonder if the lack of shots Rask was facing in the 1st hurt him. Goalies can get cold when they go untested for long periods of time.

Could be.

I know a lot of people are probably ****ting on Tuukka this AM. I havent talked to my buddy who is a charter member of the "Tuukka is baby **** soft" crew yet.

From my seat, hard to blame him on the three that mattered. (and I am far from an Rask apologist).

Goal1 is a tip from 7 feet out, those happen.

Goal2 is Marshmont playing touchy feely defense and then leaving the ice with 10 seconds left, leaving Peirtangelo alone to dangle...not much I can put on Tuukka there. If he makes that save, thats equal to Krejci/Ryder making the "goalie out of position, but I'm going to save his ass" save.

Goal3 (after which I turned the game off) the Bs leave Bozak alone in the slot.

Cassidy had a brain fart. Horrible decision.

You don't change lines with 10 seconds left. ************.

You literally can't. What are you thinking? You're too tired to go 10 more seconds? If there was a more fitting play for Marshmont this series, I can't find one.

Him "playing defense" in in G2 and G7....and he left his boys out to dry.

Could be.

I know a lot of people are probably ****ting on Tuukka this AM. I havent talked to my buddy who is a charter member of the "Tuukka is baby **** soft" crew yet.

From my seat, hard to blame him on the three that mattered. (and I am far from an Rask apologist).

Goal1 is a tip from 7 feet out, those happen.

Goal2 is Marshmont playing touchy feely defense and then leaving the ice with 10 seconds left, leaving Peirtangelo alone to dangle...not much I can put on Tuukka there. If he makes that save, thats equal to Krejci/Ryder making the "goalie out of position, but I'm going to save his ass" save.

Goal3 (after which I turned the game off) the Bs leave Bozak alone in the slot.

Of the 3, goal 1 was prob the most saveable. 2 was 100% on Marchand.

Of the 3, goal 1 was prob the most saveable. 2 was 100% on Marchand.

I would agree it was most saveable, but most redirect saves are nothing more than positional. Looks like he was position-ally up and the tip goes five hole.

O'Rielly was a ****ing monster. Pavelski-esque with the tips.

One of the best attributes a goalie can have is a short memory. His ability to bounce back strong after a bad game is unreal.

Not sure why @captain insano is being a baby and clicking dislike on everything. He needs to get over the fact that the Bruins were not as good as he thought.

Thanks for a great run B's. Can't blame the refs -- just got outplayed. Disappointing loss but kudos to the Blues.

Edelman, please stop wearing Bruins jerseys to practice. Love ya bub.

It's my birthday and I wish for a blow-out win for the Bruins with lots of celebrating and a big fat parade to follow! Go Bruins!! Love the choice of Tim Thomas as flag waver! Glad they were able to get him out of the bunker!!
Well, that was a bad end to my birthday...What an embarrassing loss...Patrice Bergeron's face after the game said it all. Until next year...

As a region we've been most fortunate but anytime a fan from another team says we have no idea what "sports agony" is I throw it back in their face.

Bruins- 2013, 2019
Celtics- 2010, 2018 ECF
NEP- 2007, 2011, 2017 and multiple AFCCG losses
Sox- 2003, 2008

With that said the Blues have never won a Cup in their 52 year history.
We don't know about sports agony? Jeeezuz H Keerist! Freaking 86 years... Yankees fans chanting "1918"... Patriots were a joke... B's didn't make the playoffs... All we had was the Celtics. Now, it's almost embarrassing the amount of riches we have, but that wasn't always the case.

Pretty unprecedented run tho. Thanks for a good season, B's. Sucks to come that far and lay an egg in game 7.

Boston Red Sox, you are on the clock.

Last edited:
We don't know about sports agony? Jeeezuz H Keerist! Freaking 86 years... Yankees fans chanting "1918"... Patriots were a joke... B's didn't make the playoffs... All we had was the Celtics. Now, it's almost embarrassing the amount of riches we have now, but that wasn't always the case.

Pretty unprecedented run tho. Thanks for a good season, B's. Sucks to come that far and lay an egg in game 4.

Boston Red Sox, you are on the clock.
No kidding. I just picked the recent heartbreaks and remember the ones in the 80s very well.

OK Felger.

Bruins lost because they absolutely sucked 5-5 and their forwards did basically nothing all series.

The Blues played physical, defensive hockey vs a less physical team. Just like we did in 2011.

You're telling me game 5 was on the up and up? At least I'm consustent. I won't make the mistake of investing any energy in this sham league again. Game 5 is inexcusable on many levels, from integrity of fair play to player safety.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back