PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018-19 Stanley Cup - Bruins vs Blues

Sample size is large enough now to declare:

Binnington should be a #2 on a bad team.
Blues can’t play from behind.
St Louis lacks skill players
Given St Louis’ domination of possession in Boston’s zone, the Bruins have mastered the Rope a dope. ..... prone but taking no substantial blows
The Tuuka from conference finals was back last night

Hockey players are the toughest bastards in sports. The B’s playoff run is 50% more games than an NFL season

Tukka was never the issue. All the goals in this series have been bang bang goal, weird deflections, etc.

The thing that's still concerning is the zebras. They only call the blatantly obvious on the Blues and even then maybe not. Chara and whichever thug that was in front of the net for example. He cross checks Chara first but because he goes down in the exchange Chara gets the two minutes. Marchand gets two minutes on a legit trip of Petrangelo. Where was that call on Accairi the game before?

I expect the Blues to go into full thug mode in game 7 especially if they get down.

Kuhlman was a nice move by Cassidy. Backes while physical can't offer his speed and that's what gives the Blues trouble. His fresh legs made a big difference. I hope Gryzlak can come back for game 7. His speed and ability to tote the puck into the Blues zone would be huge.

The Blues looked really down after the game. They really thought this was their coronation. The STL Dispatch declaring them champs will be posted in the B's locker room. The extra day off to get their heads right will benefit them. I wish the game was Tuesday now not Wednesday.

Screen-Shot-2019-06-09-at-2.50.57-PM-832x447.png

Tom Brady needs to be there and do "LET"S GOOOOOOOOOOO" to start the game.

I liked the way they just shot the damn puck yesterday. So instead of trying to get cute with the extra pass they were just “when in doubt, shoot.” It paid dividends last night.

Given St Louis’ domination of possession in Boston’s zone, the Bruins have mastered the Rope a dope. ..... prone but taking no substantial blows

Hockey players are the toughest bastards in sports. The B’s playoff run is 50% more games than an NFL season
You can say that again.

It was ~2.5hrs last night which is about right
So much better than an NBA game where each team gets 20 time outs and there's a TV timeout every two minutes on the clock.

Looks like you plagiarized yourself.

So binnington is a #2 goalie on a bad team. Which is essentially a nice way of calling him a bad goalie. Over a career he could turn out that way but if we’re talking a seasons sample size his under 2 regular season GAA would make him starter worthy on a number of teams. Don’t take offense if I look at his actual stats over a posters opinion on this board.

Has he had a few bad games this series; Has he given up some softies? Yes no question (Game 3 was the first game in his career he was pulled). But to this point he’s also shown the ability to not let these games fester and bounce back in his next game.

Bruins winning games by 4 and 5 goals, while the Blues win OT games and games with bizarrely missed penalties leading to winning goals. Get an early lead Wednesday and get this thing done.

First goal is going to be huge for either side Wednesday.

Tukka was never the issue. All the goals in this series have been bang bang goal, weird deflections, etc.

The thing that's still concerning is the zebras. They only call the blatantly obvious on the Blues and even then maybe not. Chara and whichever thug that was in front of the net for example. He cross checks Chara first but because he goes down in the exchange Chara gets the two minutes. Marchand gets two minutes on a legit trip of Petrangelo. Where was that call on Accairi the game before?

I expect the Blues to go into full thug mode in game 7 especially if they get down.

Kuhlman was a nice move by Cassidy. Backes while physical can't offer his speed and that's what gives the Blues trouble. His fresh legs made a big difference. I hope Gryzlak can come back for game 7. His speed and ability to tote the puck into the Blues zone would be huge.

The Blues looked really down after the game. They really thought this was their coronation. The STL Dispatch declaring them champs will be posted in the B's locker room. The extra day off to get their heads right will benefit them. I wish the game was Tuesday now not Wednesday.

Screen-Shot-2019-06-09-at-2.50.57-PM-832x447.png

Tom Brady needs to be there and do "LET"S GOOOOOOOOOOO" to start the game.
Frankly I don't think Brady cares enough to be there.

Plus a letter from the team owner congratulating them.

Also, I'm glad to see that it's only St Louis who can't be called for a slewfoot. They had no trouble calling it on the Bs tonight.

The officiating has been abysmal in this year's playoffs. I really wish that one of these leagues would start firing officials after displays of obvious incompetence.

You have to love the way hockey plays on the boob tube. Three 20 minute segments of nearly non-stop action with two breaks in between to do whatever you want until the game starts up again.

Great game all around by the boys. A couple players who stood out.

1. Tuukka played his balls off again. What a run for him these last 2 months.
2. Johnny Moore had a nice game for an unheralded player.
3. Nice to see the top two lines get going. Points from Marshmont, Pasta, Krejci hopefully bodes well for Weds night. As I said a couple of pages back, having this series still going with nothing in terms of points from the top two lines speaks to what could have been. In one way the Bs are lucky to still be in it. On the other hand, if the top two lines had played to their potential, this series could have been over in 4/5 games going the other way.
4. Hopefully Bs keep up the pace of play. Blues don't seem to have the speed to match; which is why the goonery play makes some sense on their side. Level that playing field.
5. As IC said a few pages back, the last minute or two last night should remove all the doubt for the refs of what is going on here. Whether they call it is another story.
6. If the Blues end up winning this, I wonder if the manner in which they did so will cause GMs to adjust their roster building. Its one thing to remove "Enforcers/Goons/Fighters" from your roster building if the league is going to move toward a more skilled game. But when the league then turns around and makes it open season in the playoffs/Final, there is a distinct disadvantage if you don't have those guys on your team. Betteman is a moron, so his "no fighting, I won't ban head shots" decree could have some unintended consequences.
7. Hoping the Bs can get up early and plant the seed of doubt/frustration in the Blues. They don't seem to like to play from that position.
8. 2 more sleeps....does anyone have a Defib they can send my way? Ill pay shipping to Wake Forest NC :)

9. I had talked about this in a couple of posts previously, but the "losing Game 6 when you're up 3-2" thing seems to have some real to it.

I found the 2011 Bs Championship DVD on youtube. Below is the part of it where Andy Ference (who was with CGY when they were in the Final in '04 vs TBL) talks about how devestating it is to be up, planning and thinking about what winning it would be like, only to lose Game 6 and have to reset your mindset....

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back