PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Training Camp - Day 9 (8/5/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Devin Lucien is killing it in camp. I could see him making the 53. No way he gets to practice squad this year, another team will scoop him up

For a lot of the guys like Lucien, if the coaches concur with all the good things the media guys are saying about them, then how much they're able to contribute on ST becomes the difference maker. And we really won't know much about that until the first pre-season game.

That's assuming that the dipshits in the broadcast booth actually cover special teams plays instead of turning the camera on themselves or interviewing Bob from Bob's Discount.

Develin already has been essentially a TE, based on what he does on the field.

He's mostly playing the fullback position though. Move out wide when need be for the matchups. He's rarely lining up at the end of the line. I've seen him do it, but it's not the norm.

Everybody was talking Austin Carr being the next great slot receiver and now I see Devin Lucien is the dark horse. Christopher Price just wrote that Lucien was one of the five who have made the most of training camp, with no mention of Carr.

So I haven't been paying as much attention to Lucien. Does he play special teams?

He's mostly playing the fullback position though. Move out wide when need be for the matchups. He's rarely lining up at the end of the line. I've seen him do it, but it's not the norm.

He blocks for RBs and in pass-pro, and he runs routes and not much else. Regardless where he lines up, his function in the offense is essentially that of a TE3.

He blocks for RBs and in pass-pro, and he runs routes and not much else. Regardless where he lines up, his function in the offense is essentially that of a TE3.

If Allen or Gronk are injured for a game, and say they only have 2 tight ends on the roster. When they want an extra guy at the end of the line, they're going to bring in a backup o-lineman over Develin. So I can't call him a TE3.

Everybody was talking Austin Carr being the next great slot receiver and now I see Devin Lucien is the dark horse. Christopher Price just wrote that Lucien was one of the five who have made the most of training camp, with no mention of Carr.

So I haven't been paying as much attention to Lucien. Does he play special teams?
I don't think he does, but the way he's playing, he'll make it on the 53. BB doesn't let really good football players go just because the position's crowded. ex: Tom

He was my sole binkie last year because he is a legit deep threat, and that's a pretty unique trait on this team. If I remember correctly, his hands are as big as gronk's.

Have either of the Hollister's done anything in camp?

If Allen or Gronk are injured for a game, and say they only have 2 tight ends on the roster. When they want an extra guy at the end of the line, they're going to bring in a backup o-lineman over Develin. So I can't call him a TE3.

After Gronk went out last season, Develin saw twice as many targets as Lengel did out of 2TE sets.

Interesting, semi-related factoid: Develin and Allen are the same height and weight.

Anyway, I'm not saying that Develin IS a TE3 by traditional positional definitions, just that he often functions as one in the Pats offense. It's only important when thinking about roster spots and who fills what roles.

That is what a FB does.

Nothing consistently remarkable that I've read about. Good play mentions here and there. While we don't know what the coaches are seeing, both Hollisters seem to be guys who need to really excel on ST to have a prayer of making the roster at this (very early) point in Camp.

Devin Lucien is killing it in camp. I could see him making the 53. No way he gets to practice squad this year, another team will scoop him up
They are less likely to take him off waivers this year than last year, unless he shows huge in preseason games.

The tight end one has been mentioned for making plays downfield. He's definitely a "move" TE type who doesn't block much, yet.

I expect him on the PS. WR brother has been hurt more and seems to face longer odds for even a PS invite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back