PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Training Camp - 8/22 (Hightower, Solder return!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burkhead and Mitchell a surprise?

Mitchell was hit by "friendly fire" O'Shaughnessy during the Houston game. He stayed in and played, but perhaps things swelled up over the weekend and they're taking it easy with him?

Wasn't aware of any issue with Burkhead though.

EDIT: Too slow, credit to Long Distance.

Assuming Rivers's ACL is torn, matter of time before he goes to IR?

If he did go to IR, it would open up a roster spot.

Assume BB would want to do that sooner than latter?

Part of me wonders if there is some shotty reporting on the nature of his injury and its not a out-for-the-year type?

Good news in this thread. Elandon Roberts looked like he was going to have long-term issues after Saturday. Glad he's back. Also nice to see Hightower working in pads.

The big one for me? Gillislee showing up is important. He has some serious competition in the backfield and needs to get his timing down. Brady can live without him if he's slow to get in sync with the offense and the line. Lewis looks great. Burkhead has Brady's confidence. White is coming off 14 catches and two TDs in the Super Bowl. Develin is the man as a blocking FB. Gillislee is a mystery man in this offense. If he can produce, the options are endless.

Mitchell no . JO fell on his knee . probably back soon though

Mitchell was hit by "friendly fire" O'Shaughnessy during the Houston game. He stayed in and played, but perhaps things swelled up over the weekend and they're taking it easy with him?

Wasn't aware of any issue with Burkhead though.

EDIT: Too slow, credit to Long Distance.

MM took that hit to the knee in the first qtr. Could be sore.

Rex saw a lot of action so he might have a minor injury as well.

I suspect its precautionary.

Now THAT's what I call service! Thanks to you all. :p

Assuming Rivers's ACL is torn, matter of time before he goes to IR?

If he did go to IR, it would open up a roster spot.

Assume BB would want to do that sooner than latter?

Part of me wonders if there is some shotty reporting on the nature of his injury and its not a out-for-the-year type?

Miguel and others may know the answer, but I thought that there was a point in time where all non-vested players (less than 4 of service) must go through waivers before being placed on IR -- this is how the Pats got Jake Ballard in 2012. It used to end at the 75 man cut down. Now that it doesn't exist anymore, I'm not sure the process -- might have to wait until the final cut to 53 for these people.

Miguel and others may know the answer, but I thought that there was a point in time where all non-vested players (less than 4 of service) must go through waivers before being placed on IR -- this is how the Pats got Jake Ballard in 2012. It used to end at the 75 man cut down. Now that it doesn't exist anymore, I'm not sure the process -- might have to wait until the final cut to 53 for these people.

That's a concern I have as well. It is really unfair if a team has a truly injured young player who needs to go on IR, but you need to keep him on the final 53 before he can go to IR, and as a result you lose the players you were hoping to take their place on the roster.

With the exception of short yardage/goal line opportunities, anyone else believe NE will be deploying multipurpose backs on most offensive downs. With the quality of NE's 3 WR /TE package presenting so many issues defensively, I have to think defenses will be overplaying the receiving corp freeing up plenty of space for Lewis, White, etc to rush or receive. Brady has so many options as he makes the call at the LOS.

That's a concern I have as well. It is really unfair if a team has a truly injured young player who needs to go on IR, but you need to keep him on the final 53 before he can go to IR, and as a result you lose the players you were hoping to take their place on the roster.

The Giants waived Ballard because they chose to as opposed to needing to.

Pats have no intention of waiving Rivers.

I read his earnings go down by a 1/3rd if he lands on IR so that implies the accrual question is not applicable.

That's not how it works. You can send him to IR the day before(or day of?) cuts and he doesn't go on the waiver wire. So he doesn't need to be on the final 53.

Solder and Hightower were the names I was hoping to see on the practice field. I don't care if they don't play on Friday. I just want to see them getting in some practice field reps the next 2 weeks.

It will give us a completely different look on defense along the front 7. While it is always better to have those elite guys who can create pressure on their own; with the talent that they DO have, Patricia will be able to scheme enough pressure to make the defense well rounded.

The secondary is well deep and experienced (relative to most years). I think the coninued deveopment of Rowe has been the most under rated story in the secondary this TC. He is a fantasitc match up chip to have on your roster to go along with all the safeties and Jones, Jones, & Coleman.

I think it will be interesting to see how Matt decides to match up on RB's out of the backfield. On 3rd and longs, we have enough depth to put CB's on other team's 3rd down backs. and suddenly a match up advantage to the offense is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft