PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 . Trade Deadline . thread

And if drafting 16 LBs you've never seen play an NFL game puts your mind at ease then certainly go ahead..
It was a joke, dude, but I’m not sure how you look at the list that you posted and come to the conclusion that the position of LB shouldn’t be addressed.

Hell, half the players on the list probably won’t even be here, and it’s certainly no sure thing regarding the recovery periods of the others. I don’t really want 16 drafted....just 15.

Don't care for JAG tags . so ugly.. and empty
I think a good argument could be made that guys like M.Flowers, Roberts, Langi, and McClellin are the truest definition of “just another guy,” though.

Add in the 2018 version of David Harris, and you can almost certainly add one more. Fingers crossed on Marsh.

Hate to say it, but I wouldn't count on Rivers ever making it. It's nearly impossible to recall a guy who suffered a season-ending injury before ever playing a down in anger and still living up to their draft potential.

I'm curious if there is any data behind this or if it is rhetoric and confirmation bias. Ben Watson and Flowers jump immediately to mind as guys who have merited their selection despite missing their entire rookie seasons to injury. Vereen doesn't quite fit the criteria, but he wasn't doing much more than the same meetings/treatment that guys on IR do.

Do injuries during a rookie season have a disproportionate effect on career trajectory? Or is it just a case where most rookies are going to flame out anyway and early career injuries make good scapegoats?

Last edited:
It was a joke, dude, but I’m not sure how you look at the list that you posted and come to the conclusion that the position of LB shouldn’t be addressed.

Hell, half the players on the list probably won’t even be here, and it’s certainly no sure thing regarding the recovery periods of the others. I don’t really want 16 drafted....just 15.

Every position will be addressed. 7-8 players under contract for 2018 does not make LB a priority. You have two clear starters in High and KVN (listen to Mayo about High next season - maybe he can put your mind at ease somewhat). You have 5-6 more players under contract. Two of them were significant part of SB run. They are dealing w injuries - like the whole league - college incl. Rivers and Langi were pre-draft binkies by most fans. Time will tell about M.Flowers.
___

Bademosi was a D “JAG“ and ST only player for most fans here. Even after Jets game. Now some of the same fans would start him over Gilmore.

Please understand that JAG has no definition. Its entirely subjective. Meaningless.
White, Cannon and so many others used to be JAGs for the same people they are heroes now (and will probably be JAGs again soon enough).

And most of the LBs in next draft will become JAGs at one point in time to “JAG“ people.
___

Don't get me wrong . Im watching plenty of LBs that might be available next draft with considerable interest and Id love to see some of them in NE esp. in the speed/coverage/“star“ capacity. But with real issues and looming decisions at other positions they could be an afterthought..

Last edited:
Every position will be addressed. 7-8 players under contract for 2018 does not make LB a priority.
I get where you’re coming from, but there’s an excellent chance that some of those guys won’t even be here. It’s practically written in stone. At least 1-2 won’t even finish the year here.

As far as HT goes, all we can do is hope for the best, but he’s chronically injured, so you can’t help them if they choose to cover their asses in the draft (which I expect). The dude has missed 22/64 past games.

Seems as though you have hope in one hand and **** in the other.

Lombardi said in preseason that Bills are for real w McDermott.
Plenty of firepower in money and picks for up-build.

$25M of new cap space for 2017/2018 in one dump for Dareus.
Plus 2 1st, 2 2nd and 2 3rd round picks for next draft..

And they might not be finished..

Interesting to see who they bring in before deadline..

I'm curious if there is any data behind this or if it is rhetoric and confirmation bias. Ben Watson and Flowers jump immediately to mind as guys who have merited their selection despite missing their entire rookie seasons to injury. Vereen doesn't quite fit the criteria, but he wasn't doing much more than the same meetings/treatment that guys on IR do.

Do injuries during a rookie season have a disproportionate effect on career trajectory? Or is it just a case where most rookies are going to flame out anyway and early career injuries make good scapegoats?
Another approach would be to find high picks that missed their first season and failed because of it. Not sure that’s a deep list either so remarkably we end up with the answer that the players career is up to the player, not the players he has one thing in common with.

Lombardi said in preseason that Bills are for real w McDermott.
Plenty of firepower in money and picks for up-build.

$25M of new cap space for 2017/2018 in one dump for Dareus.
Plus 2 1st, 2 2nd and 2 3rd round picks for next draft..

And they might not be finished..

Interesting to see who they bring in before deadline..

Anyone can tear it down it’s the building it back up into something good that is the hard part and yet to be seen whether his group is capable of.

Hate to say it, but I wouldn't count on Rivers ever making it. It's nearly impossible to recall a guy who suffered a season-ending injury before ever playing a down in anger and still living up to their draft potential.

I can think of one, Dante Fowler jr. had a decent comeback (rookie) season last year with 6 sacks, and has 5.5 in 6 games already this year. Granted he is on a talented D, but still

I get where you’re coming from, but there’s an excellent chance that some of those guys won’t even be here. It’s practically written in stone. At least 1-2 won’t even finish the year here.

As far as HT goes, all we can do is hope for the best, but he’s chronically injured, so you can’t help them if they choose to cover their asses in the draft (which I expect). The dude has missed 22/64 past games.

Seems as though you have hope in one hand and **** in the other.

"Seems as though you have hope in one hand and **** in the other"

Damn that's spooky. I got that very same saying in my fortune cookie last night :)

IMHO as much as High will be more missed through the full grind of the season, for Sunday I'm more concerned about Brown being out. Over the last few games our front 4 (we seem to be playing 4 man fronts frequently) have been winning their battle with the opposing OL (from a run D perspective). This creates lots of favorable down-distance situations thanks to that front 4 holding their own.
It sure makes the LB's jobs easier if a DL isn't being pushed into them 4 feet off the LOS. And arguably Brown was the anchor of that front 4. Now we will see more Branch who is a ??? at this point.

I'm not saying trade for a DT, I'm saying keep an eye on that this Sunday. As far as Trades, maybe Cleveland will give us Collins for JG. Might make Borges and a few posters happy...

Before losing HT for the season, an NT type would have been my choice. I think anything front 7 would fit the bill now. I'm happy if VV and McClellin comeback but depth at LB is non existent.

If dareus was moved then other big names could be dealt.

If the the playoffs ended today, the pats would play Jacksonville and that filthy d line.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back