PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Practice Squad (and visits & workouts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bates was easily pushed around in the run game and that alone goes against what we have seen in Patriot linebackers. I wonder what the staff sees in him.

Good reserve special teams player. Generally better than average in coverage. Apparently very good on the scout team/prep team, even if he's no better than an emergency reserve for the 53-man. IOW, a typical PS player.

The thing is, Richards' pre-draft measureables are nearly identical to Chung's

Richards is clearly not playing at anywhere near Chung's level, and it seems doubtful that he ever will, at this point. It seemed to me that, this pre-season, the Pats were using Richards in all the various roles that Chung typically plays, rather than "trying to find out where he fits". That's not to say that I think they're "grooming" Richards to eventually take over for 30-year-old Chung (that ship seems to have sailed), just that they're continuing to train Richards for an emergency reserve role until they can acquire someone who's more capable.

While people make fun of Richards and are mourning yet another UDFA maybe they should stop for a second and consider that maybe BB choose Richards over Moore because despite everything he was simply the better option in the big picture. We have the best coaching staff and front office in the league, lets maybe give them the benefit of the doubt.

While people make fun of Richards and are mourning yet another UDFA maybe they should stop for a second and consider that maybe BB choose Richards over Moore because despite everything he was simply the better option in the big picture. We have the best coaching staff and front office in the league, lets maybe give them the benefit of the doubt.

true. but that would significantly narrow down discussions on this board. not to mention our preparations to, maybe, some day, take over..

true. but that would significantly narrow down discussions on this board. not to mention our preparations to, maybe, some day, take over..

Cant wait to see Captain Stone navigate the war room on draft night..

IIRC, Foster was waived right after Thanksgiving weekend. The risk of a guy getting claimed at the point in the season, especially that particular weekend, is relatively low.

It's easy to generalize about the perceived quality of "undrafted" prospects, but difficult to know for certain why teams choose not to spend a 6th or 7th on a particular prospect (or position) in a specific draft.

Only 18 RBs were drafted in 2015, the lowest total going back to 2011. Only 3 RBs were drafted after the end of the 5th round in 2015 (the average is >7), but teams loaded up on UDFA RBs that year, including Thomas Rawls and Zach Zenner. At the same time, 2015 was a relatively large draft, quantity-wise, for late-round TEs (9) and WRs (11).
Foster asked teams NOT to claim him or try to sign him off the PS.

A JAG used mean an old veteran near the end of his career. he was still good enough to start if there are injuries, but really were there to be a backup or even an inactive backup. We've had many such players.

For me, Foster is NOT a JAG. There is nothing out there that shows that he is capable of doing anything in the NFL, other than possibly being a 5th receiver and punt returner, or possibly a backup receiving RB. So, yes, IMHO you are overvaluing Foster. As you say, 32 teams have passed on him twice (3 times if you count the draft). That being said, Belichick thinks that he is worthy of a PS spot.

I am so happy we have D.J. Foster back he is a capable backup for both Lewis and White. Also Lewis is the fragile sort who's in the last year of his current contract. BB rolled the dice with Foster and it paid off.

Reiss just reported that Kilgo was informed of his release from the PS--things are continuing to happen as expected.

On Austin Carr is he better than the 5 WR's we have now?? I don't think so he's also limited on the outide unlike the Players we have now. Phillip Dorsett is #5 here and we know he can play both from the Slot and Outside.

Aaron Wilson‏ @AaronWilson_NFL
Patriots signed former @UHCougarFB Steelers wide receiver DeMarcus Ayers to practice squad

8:19 AM - 4 Sep 2017

According to reports from Daniels, the Pats worked him out prior to the '16 draft and he turned down the Steelers to join the Pats PS. Returned punts in college.

Last edited:
Carr was way too good to cut.

Having richards on as a safety does not in any way improve safety depth. Unless you count standing there while players zoom by him to be "depth". Or doing an ole with his bad angles.

Should have signed nate sudfeld to the ps or even the 53.

Killings i thought had potential. Should be somewhere on a practice squad.

Killings is in Injured Reserve.

D Ayers is a quick twitch type Receiver too.

Cutting Kilgo seems a bit odd, at least timing-wise. Unless the Pats snuck a 10th guy onto the PS while I wasn't paying attention, they didn't need to cut Kilgo to make a spot for DeMarcus Ayers.

BTW - Ayers may - or may not - be auditioning for a PR role on the 53-man. However, he does provide a relatively competent returner for ST coverage units to practice against before the KC game.

D Ayers is a quick twitch type Receiver too.

Ayers: 5093/182
4.69/40, 1.60/10yd ... 35 vert ... 123 long ... 4.35 shuttle ... 7.30 3-cone

Perhaps he plays faster than his testing numbers.

Cutting Kilgo seems a bit odd, at least timing-wise. Unless the Pats snuck a 10th guy onto the PS while I wasn't paying attention, they didn't need to cut Kilgo to make a spot for DeMarcus Ayers.

BTW - Ayers may - or may not - be auditioning for a PR role on the 53-man. However, he does provide a relatively competent returner for ST coverage units to practice against before the KC game.
Appearantly we had interest and the Steelers drafted him I'm guessing he's auditioning for punt returner.
Sounds like he felt he was making the 53 in Pitt and when they offered him a practice squad spot he turned it down for us.
Sounds like he was sold on a chance to make the 53 as a punt returner.
Open audition over the next few days my guess is one of the o lineman would get snuck on the practice squad to activate him.

Ayers: 5093/182
4.69/40, 1.60/10yd ... 35 vert ... 123 long ... 4.35 shuttle ... 7.30 3-cone

Perhaps he plays faster than his testing numbers.
He was coming off a broken finger and it said to affect his testing numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back