PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 NFL Training Camp Cuts, Signings & Trades

I agree that Garrapolo is unproven but he definitely appears to be able to handle the speed of the game as a pro, and I would much rather have him than I would Goff. Giving Donald up only happens if they don't believe they can sign him, so while unlikely it wouldn't hurt to throw it out there,
He is in his 4th year. Goff is in his second and the first was in a high school offense.
Of course you like JAG better because he is a patriot.
There is just no way a team is giving up on their #1 picked QB when he has barely had a chance because they think a backup 4 years in the league looked good for 6 quarters, and they surely arent handing over their best player to do it.

That depends upon your opinion of Goff, imo he looked like the next coming of Blake Bortles. In which case the trade a makes a great deal of sense.

When I saw Goff play last year I flashed back to Tony Eason as he seemed to lack the intestinal fortitude needed to play the QB position or as Scott Glenn portraying Alan Shepard said "he looked scared"

screenshot-381.png

Last edited:
That depends upon your opinion of Goff, imo he looked like the next coming of Blake Bortles. In which case the trade a makes a great deal of sense.

You know, judging any quarterback by his rookie season with a bad team (with a terrible OL) and a coach who is comfortable with a .500 record is not the best way to judge a player's development.

Take a minute to look at what he did this week against Oakland's defense after OTAs, camp and work with Sean McVay and OC Matt LaFleur who was QB coach with 2016 MVP Matt Ryan in Atlanta. Goff is a good QB. The Rams offensive line is the big question for Goff's second year.

I would offer Garrapolo to the Rams for Donald, with any deal contingent in both teams being able to sign the respective player's.

After seeing JB's "progress" there is no way I am trading away Jimmy for anything short of a really bonkers offer. Aaron Donald at the end of his rookie contract is not that.

We are absolutely stacked and I don't want to risk a good shot at another SB just to collect more talent. Rather have peace of mind that QB is in good hands should something happen to Brady.

Last edited:
He is in his 4th year. Goff is in his second and the first was in a high school offense.
Of course you like JAG better because he is a patriot.
There is just no way a team is giving up on their #1 picked QB when he has barely had a chance because they think a backup 4 years in the league looked good for 6 quarters, and they surely arent handing over their best player to do it.

I agree with your post but wouldn't want to take anything away from Garoppolo. From what I've seen, if you put him behind the controls of a starting offense with an OC of Josh's caliber, he'll put up lots of points. I also liked his toughness on Saturday. he took some shots and came back for more. Your point about JAG being in his 4th year is hugely important. The Rams still have three years of Jared Goff at rookie contract money while Josh is on the verge of cashing in.

I agree with your post but wouldn't want to take anything away from Garoppolo. From what I've seen, if you put him behind the controls of a starting offense with an OC of Josh's caliber, he'll put up lots of points. I also liked his toughness on Saturday. he took some shots and came back for more. Your point about JAG being in his 4th year is hugely important. The Rams still have three years of Jared Goff at rookie contract money while Josh is on the verge of cashing in.
Garoppolo has definitely shown some good things in limited action but this idea that he is a proven franchise QB and a team that took a QB 1 overall 15 months ago would trade their best player to replace that QB with JAG is insane.

I'll put it this way. JAG has a chance to be a good QB but he has a ways to go and a lot of hurdles to clear to get there.

After seeing JB's "progress" there is no way I am trading away Jimmy for anything short of a really bonkers offer. Aaron Donald at the end of his rookie contract is not that.

We are absolutely stacked and I don't want to risk a good shot at another SB just to collect more talent. Rather have peace of mind that QB is in good hands should something happen to Brady.

He's gone after this season so I would take five years of Donald over one in the bench from Garrapolo.

You know, judging any quarterback by his rookie season with a bad team (with a terrible OL) and a coach who is comfortable with a .500 record is not the best way to judge a player's development.

Take a minute to look at what he did this week against Oakland's defense after OTAs, camp and work with Sean McVay and OC Matt LaFleur who was QB coach with 2016 MVP Matt Ryan in Atlanta. Goff is a good QB. The Rams offensive line is the big question for Goff's second year.

We'll see?

He's gone after this season so I would take five years of Donald over one in the bench from Garrapolo.

I will take one SB in a stacked year over 5 years of potentially sustained mediocrity.

Nervous about what appears to be a high % chance for another ring. Going conservative and keeping JAG as a #2 in case of an injury to our #1. Remembering Brady's injury vs Squealers in the 2001 SB season.

I will take one SB in a stacked year over 5 years of potentially sustained mediocrity.
Why would getting Aaron Donald cause 5 years of mediocrity?

If we could get Donald for Garoppolo I think that's a deal you've gotta make unless the Pats are planning on making Garoppolo the starter after this season. It doesn't really matter, though, because the Rams would never make that trade.

Aaron Donald (1B- Fletcher Cox) is the best DT in the league.

Garoppolo is...Aladdin.

That being said, Jimmy G is pretty valuable at this juncture with Brady's future status up in the air.

Last edited:
DT/DE Desmond Bryant has been released by Cleveland. The 31 year old Harvard alum spent four years with Oakland before joining the Browns four years ago. Started 41 games in three seasons for Cleveland before missing all of 2016. Not sure if that means he is not fully healed, or something else such as Browns wanting someone younger. They signed 27 year old DT Brandon Thompson (7 starts in four seasons with Bengals; spent all of 2016 on IR due to torn ACL), who was released two days ago, to take his place.

Desmond Bryant: Released by Browns

Bryant was released by Cleveland on Tuesday, Scott Petrak of the Elyria Chronicle-Telegram reports.

Bryant's release comes as quite the surprise, as he was expected to start for the Browns in 2017. The veteran missed nearly all of last season with a torn pectoral muscle but looked ready to go for the coming campaign. His release likely opens the door for Trevon Coley to join the starting line.​

I get that, and I'm fine with it, but I think the best interior pass rusher in football gives them a much better chance at Lombardi's than a back up a back up QB.

DT/DE Desmond Bryant has been released by Cleveland. The 31 year old Harvard alum spent four years with Oakland before joining the Browns four years ago. Started 41 games in three seasons for Cleveland before missing all of 2016. Not sure if that means he is not fully healed, or Browns something else. They signed 27 year old DT Brandon Thompson (7 starts in four seasons with Bengals; spent all of 2016 on IR due to torn ACL), who was released two days ago, to take his place.

Desmond Bryant: Released by Browns

Bryant was released by Cleveland on Tuesday, Scott Petrak of the Elyria Chronicle-Telegram reports.

Bryant's release comes as quite the surprise, as he was expected to start for the Browns in 2017. The veteran missed nearly all of last season with a torn pectoral muscle but looked ready to go for the coming campaign. His release likely opens the door for Trevon Coley to join the starting line.​

Was surprised to see this name out there. I remember hoping that the patriots would go after him in free agency back in 2013. He has been playing this preseason so his chest must be healed by now. I'm game. His chest must be healed by now. I'm game. I could see BB getting one more good year out of him. He was a stud during his last two years in Oakland.

I get what you're saying, but the issue would be the fact that Donald is at the end of his rookie pact and currently holding out. He's expecting a deal of 100+ million dollars. I guess I don't get where the "5 yrs of Donald" is coming from, but if that could somehow happen, it would be tempting.

As another poster mentioned, the Rams would never trade their franchise player, and I doubt that Belichick would ever pay the kind of money that Donald is seeking.

He was a stud during his last two years in Oakland.
I think that was a long time ago, though.

More importantly, Bryant is another bigger bodied DT/DE, so he's not exactly up for filling the responsibilities of the losses of Nink or Rivers. If anything, Belichick would likely be inclined to simply keep Butler.

I could be wrong, but I don't see a lack of depth/talent at the specific type of role that Bryant would provide. With that said, I now fully expect Belichick to bring him in for a camp visit tomorrow morning. :cool:

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back