PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 NFL Training Camp Cuts, Signings & Trades

I'll start it off with an Eagle draft bust being shown the door.

Defensive End was a forgotten leftover from the Chip Kelly days; the team had already declined the fifth year option.

Smith was due a $594,000 roster bonus tomorrow.

Edit: it seems that everything to do with the 26th pick of the 2014 draft was cursed.

First the Colts traded #26 to the Browns ... for Trent Richardson.

Then the Browns traded #26 to move up in the draft ... for Johnny Manziel.

The other pick in that trade was a 3rd rounder ... Louis Nix underwent multiple knee surgeries, never made the roster of the team that drafted him, and played in a total of 4 NFL games.

Finally the Eagles draft Smith at #26. In three seasons he had zero starts, 4 sacks and 12 tackles.

Did any of Chip's draftees or other personnel moves work at all? I'm really asking, not being a smart-ass.

Did any of Chip's draftees or other personnel moves work at all? I'm really asking, not being a smart-ass.

Some of the players (Murray, Alonso) have played well after leaving the team. I think his coaching was worse than his GMing (which was also bad).

There were a lot more misses than hits, but there were a few draftees that start:

OT Lane Johnson is good, but he better be as the #4 overall selection.
DT Bennie Logan has been a starter since he was a rookie.
WR Jordan Matthews has been pretty good.
TE Zach Ertz is ̶o̶k̶a̶y̶ (edit) a solid starter.
And we can thank Chip for drafting CB Eric Rowe... :cool:

That's about it.

Some of the players (Murray, Alonso) have played well after leaving the team. I think his coaching was worse than his GMing (which was also bad).

...and that brown-nosing, wonk Howie Rosen isn't much of an upgrade.

There were a lot more misses than hits, but there were a few draftees that start:

OT Lane Johnson is good, but he better be as the #4 overall selection.
DT Bennie Logan has been a starter since he was a rookie.
WR Jordan Matthews has been pretty good.
TE Zach Ertz is okay, but hasn't lived up to 2nd round status.
And we can thank Chip for drafting CB Eric Rowe... :cool:

That's about it.

IMO a tight end who catches 247 passes for 2840 yards in his first four years is very good for a 2nd round pick, considering how the vast majority of those picks turn out. If Ertz can block, that along with his stats make him a top 10 player at the position.

Denver adds starting quality depth to their offensive line.

Hold the phone: Eagles trade Allen Barbre to Broncos, rather than release him

As a rookie last season, Seumalo showed plenty of position versatility by playing both guard positions as well as right tackle when Halapoulivaati Vaitai suffered an injury prior to a December contest against the Baltimore Ravens.

Barbre became expendable after Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich announced following Wednesday's practice that Seumalo would indeed start camp as the first-team left guard.​

Broncos trade for versatile offensive lineman

Denver sent the Eagles a 2019 conditional 7th-round pick in exchange for the versatile offensive lineman. Barbre, 33, has started 36 games in his NFL career, including 28 starts the past two seasons.

In 2016, Barbre started 12 games at left guard and right tackle for the Eagles while missing four games due to a hamstring injury. Barbre has developed well in his career, grading out well in the run game last season.

“Allen Barbe is a pro’s pro,” said the Eagles Executive Vice President of Football Operations Howie Roseman. “Not only did he help the team with his solid play as a starter at left guard, but his ability to step up and play multiple positions helped us battle through some difficult situations.”

The move comes on the eve of training camp in what will make for another competition on the offensive line. Max Garcia entered the offseason as the team’s starting right guard, but was switched to the left to accommodate to his skillset better.

With Ron Leary established as one starting guard, Barbre will likely give Garcia a run for his money to start opposite Leary on the offensive line.​

The buffalo bildoes have traded QB Cardale Jones to chargers for a conditional draft pick

Mods: Can we split the post in 3? One for cuts. One for trades. One for injuries?

Too stringent? Easier to follow?

As currently constituted I suspect this will be 40 pages in 5 weeks

Ravens rough ride continues .. i wonder if CTE study had something to do with this and if more mid-tier players will follow .. the guy was just before his first vet contract..

nice one from our Miguel

EDIT:

Last edited:
Ravens rough ride continues .. i wonder if CTE study had something to do with this and if more mid-tier players will follow .. the guy was just before his first vet contract..

Both Urschel and Hawkins were known as some of the most intellectual players in the NFL. I don't think this happening right after the CTE news is a coincidence.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back