PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Minicamp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car, TB, Mia X 2 and Pitt all played the most zone and now we have Cooks, Edleman, Dola to all tear up zones.

Edelman is potentially one of the best punt returners in history, but has been used sparingly in that role due to the same reason as stated above - exposing your top WR to injury. BUT, this year he is no longer the top WR...

I'm not sure how you're getting that notion.

Just a note to point something out....

Personnel-wise (numbers and styles, not necessarily talent), this team is built to return to something like 2007 style of offense. 5 "receiver" sets with an empty backfield could be all the rage, if the coaches are confident that the OL can hold up for it.

Just a note to point something out....

Personnel-wise (numbers and styles, not necessarily talent), this team is built to return to something like 2007 style of offense. 5 "receiver" sets with an empty backfield could be all the rage, if the coaches are confident that the OL can hold up for it.
You mean like 3 wideouts, Gronk and White? I can see it. And then if they drop back too many to cover the passing routes, dump to White for a catch and run and a quick 4-5 yards.

You mean like 3 wideouts, Gronk and White? I can see it. And then if they drop back too many to cover the passing routes, dump to White for a catch and run and a quick 4-5 yards.

I mean that this team has a bunch of Kevin Faulks (or Danny Woodheads) running around in the backfield, is stacked high at WR and TE, and is in position to really stress defenses with multiple variations of 5 "receivers". If the Patriots find a way to keep all (or most) of these guys, there's not a defense in football that can adjust to that number of differently skilled weapons. About the only things this offense seems to be missing in its skill group is a big RB and a Welker type of hands guy at WR.

Imagine Brady dropping back with a skill 4 of

Gronk
Edelman
Cooks
Lewis

and then going plug and play with the likes of Hawkins, Hogan, White, Foster, Mitchell, Allen at the 5th spot, according to matchups and need. As Mr. Miyagi once said "If do right, no can defense".

With no blockers in backfield, the OL better be really, really good.

I mean that this team has a bunch of Kevin Faulks (or Danny Woodheads) running around in the backfield, is stacked high at WR and TE, and is in position to really stress defenses with multiple variations of 5 "receivers". If the Patriots find a way to keep all (or most) of these guys, there's not a defense in football that can adjust to that number of differently skilled weapons. About the only things this offense seems to be missing in its skill group is a big RB and a Welker type of hands guy at WR.

Imagine Brady dropping back with a skill 4 of

Gronk
Edelman
Cooks
Lewis

and then going plug and play with the likes of Hawkins, Hogan, White, Foster, Mitchell, Allen at the 5th spot, according to matchups and need. As Mr. Miyagi once said "If do right, no can defense".

Any team that wishes to is free to blitz Tom Brady. I'm sure having Gronk, Edelman and Cook all getting 1-on-1 man coverage, or seeing teams sitting in zones, is something that Brady might notice, but those teams are still free to go for it.

The thing I think is notable is that they can field an obvious running backfield, with Gronk at tight end and Edelman and Cooks flanked out, and it can then turn into a five-wide with empty backfield using Burkhead and White (or others) as wideouts. I'd be surprised if McDaniels isn't already putting together a bunch of formations like that. It works in reverse, too, with five wide converting into a two-back bunch, and you could even have Edelman run the ball in that situation.

I think it will put huge pressure on opposing defenses, not that they aren't already pressured.

Any team that wishes to is free to blitz Tom Brady. I'm sure having Gronk, Edelman and Cook all getting 1-on-1 man coverage, or seeing teams sitting in zones, is something that Brady might notice, but those teams are still free to go for it.

Sure, we'll score more. We won't win more. What will happen is the Brady's career will be risked more.

Sure, we'll score more. We won't win more.

I'm not sure what you're basing this theory upon, but 16-0 says "Hi!".

What will happen is the Brady's career will be risked more.

What will happen is that Brady will be fine, and opposing defenses will **** themselves. We've seen this before.

I'm not sure how you're getting that notion.
Maybe I should have said "best", but I do feel that the team will try to utilize Cooks in more ways, and ask Edelman to do "less" in a sense. He probably won't have to run deeper routes as often with Cooks there and Gronk healthy, though I am sure he will remain Brady's top choice overall. (well maybe 1a with Gronk 1b)

if the pass rush is becoming a problem, and by that I mean actually making it tough to play offense, sacrifice one of the receivers for Develin and bring in Allen over Gronk for a few plays. then burn them with end runs and dump and run plays for 4 and 5 yards a pop until they are forced to drop more people back into coverage.

With so many options for chip passing the pass rush has a very large diminishing returns problem. We have the perfect personnel to make overdoing the blitz costly with outlet passes to any of White, Edelman, Lewis, Gronk, Burkhead, Cooks, Hogan, or Mitchell, any one of which is an above average threat on a catch and run if the defense is too heavily focused on collapsing the pocket. And if they'd still rather hurt Tb12 than win the football game, just accept the win and let your fullback have a busy day neutralizing the pass rush while you gain 5 yards a play. Eventually they'll either drop back in coverage in which case you burn them with 5 skill players, or they'll just lose, one of the two.

And hey, if they're being really stubborn about it, and Brady's starting to feel it, you could always run Jacoby out there for a few plays. He's got good feet and a good head on his shoulders, let him use his above average maneuverability to wear out the defensive line until they give up and try something else.

Last edited:
I just realized I left out a few people in that impressive list of good dump and run players. Most egregious oversight is that I completely forgot about Danny Amendola who's been doing this stuff for us for years as a mid range swing receiver that can play both inside and outside.

Since some WR sets ideas are being thrown out . here an interesting passing chart

Notes:
1. Only 5 teams had fewer passing plays than NE in 2016 (which is somewhat surprising and certainly against popular belief).
2. Only 3 teams had more passing yards in 2016 than NE.
3. As usual w these charts NE column has no dark/full colours which means well balanced game.

While 4 game absence of TB and Gronk's injury certainly affected the total number . the principle of balanced game despite elite passing crew is clearly visible -- NE investment in rushing attempts (3.9 yds/a is among bottom third of the league) paid dividends in passing efficiency.

All this also shows big investment in 2017 RB personnel should be no surprise . I expect balanced game will be key to offense again in 2017 despite elite passing additions . (with added unpredictability, versatility and talent)

And this next chart clearly shows why they moved on from Blount.
(liability in both receiving and pass protection has its cost)

Last edited:
Thanks for jinxing a stat that involves randomness and luck!

Deus I'd say sorry but I don't think it takes much to get you fired up ?

I feel like you're ready to go at 4:30am when wake up and get your morning paper?

I do agree with you and think we see a ton of 4-5 wide sets. WR/RB are as good and deep as ever. Esp during this run.

I've been very high on this Oline since Scar came back and only think they get better.

Flip side the D is going to be special as well.

This is a special team.

Last edited:

Exactly. And the pass rush would have to get to Brady more than once. Second and 15 isn't a drive killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST