PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

The kid witherspoon from colorado is a better cover guy than awuzie but he needs to fill out

He's a very good cover guy but I think Awuzie has the better all rond game and probably fits better what we need right now. Witherspoon is an outside corner only whereas Awuzie plays both outside an in. Is a good blitzer too.

Yeah, I'm having a really difficult time believing that prospects like Basham, Walker, Ryan Anderson and a bunch of others who I like for the Pats will still be on the board at #72.
Some of them have to, almost by definition.

I think there's some desperation on the part of Mixon there. Perhaps he thinks he will go undrafted. The timing, so close to the draft is suspicious.
How could it be suspicious? It's not like he's trying to cover up what happened. It's all public. It's convenient sure, he wants her statement out there.

Undrafted? I'd be shocked if he made it out of the third.

How could it be suspicious? It's not like he's trying to cover up what happened. It's all public. It's convenient sure, he wants her statement out there.

Well, the victim didn't file the lawsuit until last July, almost two years to the day after the incident and apparently a year too late to file criminal assault charges. She also originally opposed having the video of the incident made public.

Whatever the financial aspect of the settlement is, it seems reasonable to assume that it will have to be paid out of Mixon's (future) NFL earnings. IOW, settling before the draft was in the best interest of both Mixon and the victim.

So, IDK. Suspicious? Or merely rational?

I can't remember which expert said it, might have been Rick Gosselin, but certainly I listened to one expert the other day say he likely wouldn't be drafted. As for why it might be suspicious, well the timing, just one week before the draft certainly seems so. My theory is that he's trying to prove to teams that he's fully put the incident behind him - that he has made peace with his victim. The assault happened three years ago. What's changed that he should come to terms with her just one week before the draft?

Edit: Just read Maineman's reply. The fact that the lawsuit wasn't filed until just a year ago makes it less suspicious admittedly. But the timing still intrigues me.

I can't remember which expert said it, might have been Rick Gosselin, but certainly I listened to one expert the other day say he likely wouldn't be drafted. As for why it might be suspicious, well the timing, just one week before the draft certainly seems so. My theory is that he's trying to prove to teams that he's fully put the incident behind him - that he has made peace with his victim. The assault happened three years ago. What's changed that he should come to terms with her just one week before the draft?

Edit: Just read Maineman's reply. The fact that the lawsuit wasn't filed until just a year ago makes it less suspicious admittedly. But the timing still intrigues me.

She clearly "penalized" Mixon by filing the suit because it damaged his draft stock. My guess is that cooler heads on her side may have finally convinced her that killing his draft chances completely also harmed her own chances of receiving financial justice.

PFF's final big board. A top 200 with brief write ups on each. A very good read.

Draft Board: Top 200 prospects of 2017 | PFF

I really like this because there are so many notes about what type of blocking scheme an OL played in and an RB ran behind. To me, those are critical "fit" distinctions that too often go completely ignored in a lot of out-of-context evaluations.

And there are at least some notes, though still not enough for me, about how well the CBs perform against the run - a critical requirement for BB.

Some nice write-ups, too, on prospects I hadn't given much thought to that I now feel I should go back an look at a bit more (better late than never). And it's nice to see a couple of my binkies - Conner and Michael Roberts, get nice reviews, even with their relatively low rankings.

ATC, well worth the time to read. Thanks!

Go check out @joshnorris 's twitter feed. He was in the Rams war room for the 2011 draft and he's recounting stories from that draft. Very interesting.

Example:

Lots of funny stuff over there.

"In '16, Blake Bortles' passer rating on 68 deep attempts (17.5) was less than half what it would've been if every pass landed out of bounds. (Pat Thorman tweet)."

He's a very good cover guy but I think Awuzie has the better all rond game and probably fits better what we need right now. Witherspoon is an outside corner only whereas Awuzie plays both outside an in. Is a good blitzer too.

Good summary. I prefer Witherspoon as a pure cover man, but extra versatility that you mentioned finally won me over to Awuzie's camp. Then he blew away the Wonderlic (35 I think?), and I watched a few interviews of him breaking down how he plays corner and how he studies film, etc. The fact that he can rotate between safety, slot, and outside corner, as well as handling blitzing duties, makes him very desirable for what we like to do on defense. Although I think there are a couple better man to man corners, as an overall DB, Awuzie is second only to Melifonwu on my "yes please" list right now.

Good summary. I prefer Witherspoon as a pure cover man, but extra versatility that you mentioned finally won me over to Awuzie's camp. Then he blew away the Wonderlic (35 I think?), and I watched a few interviews of him breaking down how he plays corner and how he studies film, etc. The fact that he can rotate between safety, slot, and outside corner, as well as handling blitzing duties, makes him very desirable for what we like to do on defense. Although I think there are a couple better man to man corners, as an overall DB, Awuzie is second only to Melifonwu on my "yes please" list right now.

His blitzing ability made me think of Kyle Arrington. Awuzie was my first guy this year and character/intelligence were a big part of that. He gave the impression of being a leader on the field, as much from the way he played as anything else. I'd be very happy with him, but like you, would absolutely take Melifonwu first.

What do you guys think of sidney jones? Ive never watched much tape on him because i didnt think he would be available for us. But now that he could be available in the third round i started to watch his tape. I started with highlights(not the best way to get to know a prospect) of him and it seems like he definitely has a knack for getting his hands on the ball but hes seems very skinny right now (which should change once hes in an NFL weight room). But what i wanted to see in the highlights was how he is in coverage which it didnt show. So i was wondering what the great scouts of this forum think of him overall.

What do you guys think of sidney jones? Ive never watched much tape on him because i didnt think he would be available for us. But now that he could be available in the third round i started to watch his tape. I started with highlights(not the best way to get to know a prospect) of him and it seems like he definitely has a knack for getting his hands on the ball but hes seems very skinny right now (which should change once hes in an NFL weight room). But what i wanted to see in the highlights was how he is in coverage which it didnt show. So i was wondering what the great scouts of this forum think of him overall.

"Great scout" would be really stretching it, but I did watch the televised DB drills at the Combine (which I do realize is a lot like saying, "I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night!).

However, - in spite of the truly crappy camera angles and the frequent, useless cutaway shots of Mayock and Eisen yammering inanely and the poorly-timed commercial breaks - Sidney Jones consistently seemed to have the best footwork and quickest/smoothest CoD regardless of which direction the drill was run (an often overlooked, yet crucial point). He also seemed to be running all the drills at close to game speed while others seemed to be slow-playing the drills to stay under control.

Or, at least, Jones was consistently high among the top handful of guys for whom I was allowed (by the telecast) to see most of their drills.

Given the limited number of picks that the Pats have in semi-prime rounds, and given my own feeling that the Pats have more significant needs at DE, LB and and OL, I've been back-and-forth about the risk/reward possibilities of spending one of those limited picks on a prospect who will undoubtedly be on IR for 2017 with his torn Achilles - making him, effectively, merely another untested "prospect" for 2018 (and those haven't worked out very well recently, IMHO).

However, if Butler sticks for 2017, and if enough good prospects at the "need" positions fall into the #72-#183 range, I'd lean slightly in favor of taking Jones with one of #72/#96 picks because of his upside.

BTW - the others who stood out in those drills (in both directions for the most part) were ...

Josh Jones
Peppers (interestingly enough)
Awuzie
Tre'davious White
Myrick

Nate Gerry and Lorenzo Jerome were examples of guys who seemed to be slow-playing it to get it right. I was hard to know for certain though. Due to the camera angles, especially in the last sections of the drills - after the final CoD (and after the "interception" for some of the drills) - when the prospects made their breaks, there was no point of reference for judging speed and acceleration.

BTW - there's a similar problem for me with the gauntlet receiving drill. A camera angle in which the guy is charging right at the viewer might make for dramatic TV, but it's pretty useless for analyzing speed.

Florida guys. SMH.

According to a police report obtained by Florida Times-Union correspondent Patrick Pinak, Florida DT Caleb Brantley faces a misdemeanor battery charge for allegedly punching a woman in the face and knocking her unconscious.

The incident is believed to have occurred on April 13. Per the report, the victim pushed Brantley after he made "crude comments." Brantley allegedly responded by punching the woman in the face with a closed fist, knocking her unconscious and dislodging a tooth. The police report considered that action retaliation, not self-defense. Previously considered a Round 3 pick -- with a ceiling of Round 2 -- Brantley's stock will freefall if this report proves to be true. "Great chance he goes undrafted with this charge coming so close to the draft," Bleacher Report's Matt Miller tweeted. "Teams will be scrambling for info."

Last edited:
Special team star? Check. Voted team captain? Check.

Incredibly athletic backup player behind a legitimate 1st/2nd pick at Utah, Jason Thompson looks like the ideal 7th round / priority UDFA player to come in and make noise as a special team ace and potential DB backup. I'm intrigued.

Height: 6014
Weight: 210
40 Yrd Dash: 4.45
20 Yrd Dash: 2.54
10 Yrd Dash: 1.50
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 20
Vertical Jump: 39 1/2
Broad Jump: 11'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.01
3-Cone Drill: 6.57

Utah football: Captain Jason Thompson has proven a 'special' team player

Patriots have shown interest in Rudolph.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back