PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

He was pretty decent in coverage, based on the Peppers games I watched. Hill wasn't necessarily a playmaker, but he was solid.

Interesting that the tweet listed him as a hybrid.

Interesting that the tweet listed him as a hybrid.

I wonder if it's because of his size? He lines up as a traditional safety and patrols the deep half more often than not. He didn't play as a hybrid in most of the games I saw.

I wonder if it's because of his size? He lines up as a traditional safety and patrols the deep half more often than not. He didn't play as a hybrid in most of the games I saw.

I think it's about his projection to the NFL. 216lbs isn't that big for a safety but coverage isn't really his thing.

Watch how many times he takes the slot receiver, or even plays press-man on the outside. He can cover.

Watched him today thanx to Manx - saw a serious Pat option: big, strong, fast, versatile, relatively smooth, great tackler .. the biggest ? for BB could be instincts (that also slow his game at times)

Last edited:
Branden Leston is not a known guy, but he's ranked as the top special team coverage guy in the draft by PFF, with 16 tackles over the season and none missed. He was all conference in CUSA at SS, laying the thunder for WKU.

He also turned in a 6.65 today at his pro day, which would've been the top time for the safeties at the combine. Be interesting to keep an eye on with all the UDFAs we will likely be targeting.

Branden Leston is not a known guy, but he's ranked as the top special team coverage guy in the draft by PFF, with 16 tackles over the season and none missed. He was all conference in CUSA at SS, laying the thunder for WKU.

He also turned in a 6.65 today at his pro day, which would've been the top time for the safeties at the combine. Be interesting to keep an eye on with all the UDFAs we will likely be targeting.

This is my favorite part of draft season. I didn't know who he was previously, but now I've done some research and I know which safety we're likely to take in the 2nd once we trade back into that round. ;)

Looking forward to the annual "we could have had (insert name here...) three rounds later" debate on the main forum come draft day.
Then allow me to insert Germy Cunnyham, Tavon Wilson, DuhWrong Harmon, Jordan Richards, GeeNo Grossem and Vinnie Valentine here.

I fully expect more 2nd/3rd-round idiocy (if he acquires a 2nd-rounder) from Bill
in this year's draft too.

Then allow me to insert Germy Cunnyham, Tavon Wilson, DuhWrong Harmon, Jordan Richards, GeeNo Grossem and Vinnie Valentine here.

I fully expect more 2nd/3rd-round idiocy (if he acquires a 2nd-rounder) from Bill
in this year's draft too.
0757487001423003511_filepicker.jpg

la-sp-patriots-bill-belichick-20170206

Amazing game from Maye. Currently low 2nd round. Outside chance he could be there at 72..

Marcus Maye vs North Texas (2016) | Draft Breakdown

___

BTW - Jarrad Davis jumps towards mid 1st round. Not surprising since he could be the #1 LB on some teams boards by the draft.

Of course all boards are greatly underrating the need of QB&OL and great difficulty to get them in FA. So rushers, receivers (incl. TEs), RBs also most DBs, LBs will fall when reality kicks in.

Amazing game from Maye. Currently low 2nd round. Outside chance he could be there at 72..

Marcus Maye vs North Texas (2016) | Draft Breakdown

___

BTW - Jarrad Davis jumps towards mid 1st round. Not surprising since he could be the #1 LB on some teams boards by the draft.

Of course all boards are greatly underrating the need of QB&OL and great difficulty to get them in FA. So rushers, receivers (incl. TEs), RBs also most DBs, LBs will fall when reality kicks in.

Agree. Regardless of Kiper-clone predictions about what players are "going to go in the 1st", ultimately QB, OL, and DL end up accounting for around 20/32 actual first round picks, with LB, DB and WR accounting for around 12. RB and TE have combined for a total of 8 first round selections over the past six drafts.

I felt reasonably confident that Cyrus Jones or Sean Davis was going to be our first pick last year but I'm really struggling this year. The closest prospect I have to a pick I have some confidence in us taking is Delano Hill. Outside of him, though, I really don't know.

I felt reasonably confident that Cyrus Jones or Sean Davis was going to be our first pick last year but I'm really struggling this year. The closest prospect I have to a pick I have some confidence in us taking is Delano Hill. Outside of him, though, I really don't know.

I feel less sure about who we will definitely pick than I who I believe we will definitely be interested in. It's what makes it a fun draft for a draft-head, knowing there at so many patriotsy types in this draft.

I could probably make a list of 25 guts and reasonably assume we could pick 2-4. I am sure there are a number of people here who could possibly do better than that.

Sometimes I write down “player“ to a prospect. Strangely enough I do that rarely.

I did that for Kittle (when he was not on boards yet, but started to feature on this board). Today I did that for CB Channing Stribling, a wonderful Day 3 option.. He struggles vs run at times but is becoming one of my fav CBs

I feel less sure about who we will definitely pick than I who I believe we will definitely be interested in. It's what makes it a fun draft for a draft-head, knowing there at so many patriotsy types in this draft.

I could probably make a list of 25 guts and reasonably assume we could pick 2-4. I am sure there are a number of people here who could possibly do better than that.

Well to be fair, with @patchicks draft game, people rarely predict more than two accurately so one might assume we pick 2-4 from a list of likely prospects but what's the certainty level there? There are just so many uncertainty levels in this draft for me to feel any real confidence. Take George Kittle. In most years I'd consider him a certainty but does the positional need tie up with where I think he goes? Or Deatrich Wise. Another I felt some confidence about but is he too much like Trey Flowers? Harvey Langi maybe another but the links between him and the Patriots seem too telegraphed.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back