PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

RB Jamaal Williams, BYU: There wasn’t a lot to see, but he had a few moments to give a brief demonstration of the burst, decisiveness, and agility that I’ve seen on tape.

As a runner he's top notch. Needs to clean up pass pro. Tough grade bc I think once he cleans that up he could be a legit great player. Top back in his class type stuff.

WR Jalen Robinette, Air Force: His routes aren’t smooth, they lack burst, and his size and I have doubts that his catch radius will compensate for his difficulty getting separation at the next level.

Ive expressed similar concerns throughout this thread. He might be perfect for Winston but not make a 53 on other teams.

TE Jeremy Sprinkle, Arkansas: Sprinkle has upside as a blocker and short area receiver, but he’s a lumbering athlete compared to those at this game. He also lacks coordination with his arm movement. Because of his size and strength, it’s sometimes a happy accident that he clubs a defender with a forearm or fist when the intent was to avoid the opponent with a release move.

I like Sprinkle as a mid round pick. Esp if you run a 2 TE set a lot. Nothing special but could be nice depth.

Last edited:
WR Isaiah Jones, East Carolina: The thing I appreciated about Jones all week was the smoothness of his routes and his ability to get on top of a defender early in his pattern. He did this twice on go routes during Day Three’s practice and it echoed what I’ve seen from him on tape.

Very good lil summary of what I saw from what Ive seen from him.

WR Cooper Kupp, Eastern Washington: Kupp made his job look easy this week. The worst rep I saw from him in three days was a quick breaking hitch that was poorly timed with the pass and the target bounced off Kupp’s chest well before he even thought to look for the ball, much less raise his arms to greet it. Kupp routinely earned separation against all types of coverage and he could win the ball in the air. If I had to pick one receiver for my team from this event, I’d take Kupp.

Kupp getting praise from everyone and everywhere it seems.

WR Chad Williams, Grambling: His consistent performances against top college talent was a validation of the athletic ability I saw from him on tape. It will be easier to project his development potential after seeing him make small improvements throughout this week while winning mostly on his physical ability.

Everything I saw this week had him making some $.

Obi Melifonwu | DB | Connecticut

Melifonwu was one of many defenders with striking weigh-in measurables. Of that group, the Connecticut defensive back was the only one to be equally impressive on the field. Long, tall defensive backs often have difficulty opening their hips and changing directions. Melifonwu did so effortlessly in individual drills. The North coaches routinely asked him to match up one-on-one against wide receivers in individual drills and Melifonwu more than held his own. Though a little grabby at times, Melifonwu was comfortable in his stance, never guessed on a route, and showed easy recovery speed when needed. He often looked like he was gliding next to a receiver or tight end who looked to be running at full speed. Melifonwu was never matched up against the week’s most refined wide receiver Cooper Kupp in the slot but his consistent coverage reps will have scouts drooling over his combination of size (6-4, 219) and potential versatility.

I first saw him while looking at Summers a while ago. Obi's versatility and beastlyness can't be denied. From looking at him you'd think he'd crush the combine. Him and Q Wilson have some very nice open hips

Haason Reddick | LB | Temple

Reddick was arguably the best defensive prospect on either roster this week. Reddick held his own in coverage against running backs in individual drills, showed an improved understanding of reading defensive keys in team drills as the week progressed, and was more effective off the edge than most of this week’s edge prospects. Though he saw very few snaps as an inside linebacker at Temple, that’s where NFL teams are likely to see Reddick. While there’s still a learning curve to navigate, this week’s practices strongly suggest Reddick can be successful there.

Reddick was always a top 50-75 player but its not until this type of event that you can see if hes an NFL player. Amazing where we are in todays NFL and what teams are looking for nowadays.

Justin Evans | DB | Texas A&M

Evans didn’t practice on Day 3 due to injury. He wasn’t as striking on the field as Melifonwu but his coverage skills were impressive earlier in the week. Evans showed no difficulty getting to the sideline from a centerfield position. NFL defenses must have players in the secondary with range and ball skills and Evans’ playing style will fit with any scheme.

Good to hear. Evans doesn't get nearly enough love although in fairness to "us". We have real lives, jobs and other crazy **** going on. Think we do a good job w/ about 5-6 strong. Back to Evans. Seems like a good kid, has always shown instincts and range all over the field.

John Johnson | DB | Boston College

Johnson looked like gravity didn’t apply to him when high-pointing balls downfield during defensive back drills. Like Melifonwu, Johnson stayed with the cornerbacks in one-on-ones against the wide receiver and tight end groups rather than working with the other safeties against running backs. Johnson wasn’t as fluid as Melifonwu but was comfortable in coverage. It’s a deep safety group this year but Johnson has a chance to play every down on Sundays as a rookie.

Tough to hide Binkys this time of year but this kid is a Patriot type player and a guy I really like and certainly will get pushed back. Love him and Milano. Both Patriot types.

Tyus Bowser | EDGE | Houston

I quickly reviewed two cutups on Bowser early this week and didn’t see an explosive linebacker talent. But Bowser looked as comfortable changing direction as any linebacker in drills this week and had a very high success rate in one-on-one pass rush drills. He struggled when asked to cover downfield routes but held his own on routes developing in front of him. Lance Zierlein tweeted that Bowser could be a top 100 pick and others I spoke with were equally impressed with his week of practice. I’m looking forward to watching his college tape with a more critical eye.

Brought him up before as possible Collins replacement. I've heard he looked explosive here and I've seen some nice things on film.

Tarell Basham | EDGE | Ohio

I felt Basham had the most consistent week of practice among the edge rushers. Others (D.J. Smoot, Daeshon Hall, Tyus Bowser) may have flashed brighter at times but Basham showed success setting the edge and demonstrated a variety of pass rush moves. His pass rush will have to mature over time but it’s always good to see a prospect execute a plan in drills and then carry his good play into 11-on-11 reps which are always less conducive to success than the one-on-one pit drills.

Seems like he really took to coaching from what I hear. This paragraph is exactly what you want to hear. Rush class is too good.

Last edited:
Duke Riley | LB | LSU

As I wrote yesterday, I wasn’t as impressed with Riley on Day 1 as others but I began coming around on Day 2. Last year, Riley’s teammate, Deion Jones, attracted my attention after a strong Senior Bowl week. Jones’ film reinforced many of the things he did in Mobile. Should Riley’s practice attributes be supported by game film, Jones may get some attention in the early rounds.

Ive always liked Duke as a mid round guy who will run through a wall for you. S/T's, sub package. Hes a football player.

Tanoh Kpassagnon | EDGE | Villanova

There were moments for Kpassagnon this week but not enough to generate the same buzz his weigh-in result did. A work in progress, Kpassagnon’s size and athleticism has drawn comparisons to Carlos Dunlap. While that comparison is not yet warranted, Kpassagnon has measurables that cannot be taught. If he improves his pad level, footwork, and learns a more mature array of pass rush moves, he could blossom into an elite edge player. That rarely happens quickly. Thankfully, NFL teams know it takes time for pass rushers to mature and Kpassagnon’s physical attributes will give him time to develop

This is basically how I feel. Take a shot in the 3rd and coach him up. He's not an impact player rn.

Daeshon Hall | EDGE | Texas A&M
D.J. Smoot | EDGE | Illinois

Both Hall and Smoot flashed strong edge rush capability in the pit and in team drills this week. They also, unfortunately, disappeared for stretches of practice. Smoot sometimes seemed to rely on guessing the snap count to get a jump against more talented opponents. Hall didn’t show a viable counter moves in one-on-one drills. Both have upside. Like Kpassagnon, both will require time to develop.

Hall looked good but from what I saw it was too much hesitation, stutter step, inside stuff that works in 1 on 1's but not really against real comp and a whole line/team.
One of the biggest reasons Im not a fan of Demarcus Walker is hes a "snap jumper or guesser" That doesn't work in the NFL. And if Smoot relies on it as well but also has a better jump than Walker. Smoot has a lot of good qualities but I want to see more from him as well as Waldman.

Ryan Anderson | EDGE | Alabama

Anderson showed a quick first step on film against his best competition this year. That step wasn’t evident during practices and he did not win any of his limited one-on-one matchups against the offensive line. He also looked slow in his transitions and didn’t move in coverage nearly as well as Bowser. That may have been due to injury as Anderson didn’t participate in practice on Day 3. He’ll need to test well at the Combine and show better movement skills or risk falling behind in a deep edge class.

Bad week for him all around. Hopefully it was injury but he did nothing to help himself. Esp in coverage.

Alex Anzalone | LB | Florida

I thought Anzalone did well this week in drills and he frequently drew praise from his position coaches here. But I’m not convinced his foot speed is sufficient and there were enough question marks in his coverage against Senior Bowl level running back competition to wonder whether he’ll ever be capable of an every-down role in the NFL. He’s another player who will need to test well – especially in lateral movement and change of direction drills – to convince teams he has starting upside.

If hes healthy hes a top 50 player. Will he ever be healthy?

Damonte Kazee | CB | San Diego State

I spoke with Turron Davenport – who helped turn me on to Deone Bucannon in 2014 when I had my eye on Jimmie Ward and Terrence Brooks – earlier this week about cornerbacks to watch. He made a point of mentioning Kazee, who he sees as a physical talent with above-average ball skills. Kazee struggled at times this week to effectively jam receivers and not use his hands too much downfield, but the physical play Davenport noted was evident. He’ll need to clean up his technique to be successful in the NFL, but Kazee might fit as a slot corner or better as a rookie.

I mentioned hips earlier and should have brought him up. Love this kid and what he brings. Hes an early pick if you play a lot of zone or want a slot plug n play.

I'm exhausted

Any takers for Jarrad Davis at 32?

I watched him last night and came to the conclusion he's as Patriots as they come. If Hightower only gets the tag, I can see Davis being the pick - an almost lock to be the defensive leader for the next 5 years.

I started with this highlight film. The title compares him to Ray Lewis. He 'aint that, but he's physical and a bully like Lewis.And his closing speed is ridiculous for a 240lb guy.

I watched him last night and came to the conclusion he's as Patriots as they come. If Hightower only gets the tag, I can see Davis being the pick - an almost lock to be the defensive leader for the next 5 years.

I started with this highlight film. The title compares him to Ray Lewis. He 'aint that, but he's physical and a bully like Lewis.And his closing speed is ridiculous for a 240lb guy.

Been High on Davis since last year, placed him at 32 in my first mock. The guy looks like a stud.

Now we're talking brother!

Love this kid. He's a player for sure. I have him as an early 2nd but wouldn't be mad at 32.

He's so violent. Great burst. Arrives mean and often 1st one there, even if he over pursues slightly. Mean, nasty.
Very nice athleticism, tall. Can hang w/ TE's in the passing game w/ a lil work.

He needs to be cleaned up some. Slow down a bit in the run game. Most likely playing weakside/middle. Lil technique work in the passing game but I really don't see a ton of - 's.

He's pro ready and can grow.

I'm gunna start a thread and one of the purposes is to identify 75-150 "Patriot-type" players in addition to however many other things.

Davis is a Patriot-type player

Love this kid. He's a player for sure. I have him as an early 2nd but wouldn't be mad at 32.

He's so violent. Great burst. Arrives mean and often 1st one there, even if he over pursues slightly. Mean, nasty.
Very nice athleticism, tall. Can hang w/ TE's in the passing game w/ a lil work.

He needs to be cleaned up some. Slow down a bit in the run game. Most likely playing weakside/middle. Lil technique work in the passing game but I really don't see a ton of - 's.

I'm gunna start a thread and one of the purposes is to identify 75-150 "Patriot-type" players in addition to however many other things.

Agree 100%. He's also a great guy to use as a spy, not an uncommon need in today's NFL.

He had had problems in the past controlling his emotions. Costly personal foul penalty for after the play for extracurriculars.

I have watched a ton of Sec football and he always seems to be hurt or banged up, how could he hope to play 19 games a year with us next season?

He had had problems in the past controlling his emotions. Costly personal foul penalty for after the play for extracurriculars.

I have watched a ton of Sec football and he always seems to be hurt or banged up, how could he hope to play 19 games a year with us next season?

In regards to his injuries, ill give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this past season, he had a high ankle sprain, those things take time to heal and generally linger and can be re-aggravated quite easily.

One of the few reasons I have him as a early 2.

In a few weeks a ton of info will come out or not. Concussions, arrests, bad attitudes and behavior etc. Some guys "locked" in the lottery will fall.

I really like the player but i don't see him on the Patriots. The Patriots play such a control and disciplined D and to me this guy is a down hill hard hitting instinct play maker. That is great but I don't see him as a guy looking to "do his job" as much as a guy looking to blow stuff up.

Maybe I am wrong and BB believes he can bottle this lightning but I just feel like he will not mix well with what BB is trying to build with the defense. Everything about this defense is about patient control. Even the pass rush much of the time is about patient gap discipline and getting to the QB as well as controlling your gap. Sorry to say but I just don't think we pick him. But yes he is worthy of pick #32.

This draft to me in very deep and has 40-45 first round talents that could fit in the back 22-32 of many drafts. Some really good players are going to fall.

special shout out to BaconGrundleCandy keep it up dude you are killing it!

Thanks man appreciate it!

Nice post ^^^

Just to elaborate some. You described him very nicely. I think his biggest strength might be his biggest weakness, which you'll see in a lot of guys.

Would love for him to slow down a tab and play w/ a lil more next play/fight mentality.

I think he might be nice Timmons replacement in Pitt if they go that way. They have a few big needs.
Don't want them w/ OJ Howard. Bryant, Bell, Brown and co are enough.

Last edited:
The Senior Bowl game starts in a few minutes. Here are 10 "winners" from the week of practices down in Mobile: https://t.co/qGsg9Nf2Ch

My favorite #Toledo RB Kareem Hunt stat - only one fumble over 856 career touches (only fumble came as a freshman and he recovered it).

Check out @agilitykills's Tweet:

Check out @b_peters12's Tweet:

Check out @JoshNorris's Tweet:

Check out @themicknartin's Tweet: