PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Preview: Very deep at RBs, DEs, and DBs. Historically weak QB class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
A little premature....but this is gonna be a great draft to add additional pieces to our defense and help continue our running game as Blount continues to age.

2017 NFL Draft: The three deepest position groups

Anyone stand out to you in particular?

It's a different story when it comes to the QB position, which appears to be almost historically weak.

Here's what McShay in his early take on 2017 draft:

This is as bad a quarterback class as I can remember. Supply never seems to meet demand when it comes to quarterbacks in the draft, but we could be looking at an extreme case this year. As it stands now, I don't see a single franchise savior in the group.

That has to concern teams like the Browns, Bears, 49ers and Jets, who could all be in the market for a quarterback in the first round. This could change, of course, as I watch more tape (particularly on [North Carolina's Mitch] Trubisky) and as guys continue to develop. But right now, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking any of these quarterbacks in Round 1.

At the top of his early quarterback prospects list are the "Tier 1" guys, all of whom he labels "talented but raw." There are three quarterbacks in this group: Clemson's Deshaun Watson, Miami's Brad Kaaya, and Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer. McShay thinks none of them project as Round 1 picks right now (!)

This seems like a VERY favorable circumstance for New England, who has the best and deepest depth at the QB position in the whole NFL, with the GOAT playing some of the best football of his career (with no sign of slowing down) and third-string rookie QB in Jacoby Brissett (who's deeply well liked by the coaches, despite being raw).

The Patriots also have one of the most promising up-and-coming QB in Jimmy Garoppolo, who played exceptionally well in 6 quarters before being injured. As it remains, he seems to be one of the few (if only) quarterbacks ready to change the direction of a franchise - and he still has only 1 year left on his rookie contract.

Belichick must be smiling at this embarrassment of riches right now....I know I am :):D

Last edited:
Regardless of BB plans for his 3 QBs, his phone line at Foxboro is going to be busy in the off season.Strong position to be in I'm sure.

That's why I think JG will be traded. The reportedly poor QB class in the upcoming draft + a promising performance in the 1.5 game audition etc etc equals a high stock value for him. You'd think some team is going to offer a lot to get him.

Manipulate those picks to build up your Oline, Dline etc....by drafting to the draft's strengths.

I'm not a knowledgeable draft guy so take that for what its worth. :)

That's why I think JG will be traded. The reportedly poor QB class in the upcoming draft + a promising performance in the 1.5 game audition etc etc equals a high stock value for him. You'd think some team is going to offer a lot to get him.

Manipulate those picks to build up your Oline, Dline etc....by drafting to the draft's strengths.

I'm not a knowledgeable draft guy so take that for what its worth. :)

Me neither. I watch the big college games and I read a few articles here and there just to have an opinion.

Seems like there are only a couple guys with solid 1st rd grades.

Its all about supply and demand.

I could wax eloquent about this draft class, but instead I'll just say that we're perfectly situated to pick up some excellent players that could solidify our team for years to come. If anyone has specific questions about players or positions, let me know. I'm pretty far into my evaluations this year.

I think this offseason we will start to more clearly see the future plans of BB. If he doesn't take the haul some team offers for Jimmy, it's probably safe to infer that he wants to keep him for the long term.

This will be an interesting draft. I sort of bagged the whole thing last year in protest, but I really believe we will have 2 first rounders, including one where we never get to pick (top 15) this year, so all this stuff will be very interesting.

The first thing we need to look at is at were we are good, young AND deep. That would include the S's and CB's, though I'd love to pick up some size at CB. Also the OL is relatively young and deep, though I'd love to upgrade the C if there were someone special, so I doubt we invest in any high draft picks in those areas. Also TE won't be a high pick if we sign Bennett, though Bill will never not draft at least one, but he'll be developmental. If we don't sign Marty, I bet he'll pick one by the end of the 2nd round.

In today's NFL besides QB the most impactful position on defense is the guy who can rush from inside the tackles, and finding one of these guys is actually harder than finding a decent Qb. They are THAT rare. That's why BB took a shot a Easley, you can't pass up the possibility even with a few red flags. BTW- Easley performed well on the field when he got out on the field, but his head wasn't in the game to the level it took to be a Patriot, andas soom as BB knew that wasn't going to change, poof he was gone. If BB thought the right guy was within reach THAT would be a guy he'd trade up for. So once the season is over and I go to the draft page, the first thing I will want to educated on is who the DT's are, and how many carry a first round grade, because one of them is likely to be a Patriot early.

Second priority will be DE/LB, and that is were my education will continue. Long and Ninko are getting old and we need more youth to add to Flowers and Grissom at that spot,

3rd Priority will be to find the hybrid S/LB. That is the new hot position. The guy who can provide good coverage on TE's and RB's, and still have enough sand in his pants to be stout in the run game. Finding guys who can be that kind of guy is a luxury that solves a lot ills and gives you massive defensive Flexibility. They are at a premium because they are so rare. Too bad Collins didn't work out.

4th Priority will be RB. I'm not sure whether they are looking to replace White or LGB, but some kind of RB is likely to be taken in the 2nd day.

How urgent WR is going to be will depend on if Floyd is resigned. A WR group that starts with Edelman, Hogan, and Mitchell needs 2nd day depth. A WR group that has Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell and Floyd, and possibly DA, only needs a 3rd day developmental guy.

BOTTOM LINE - we do this every season and BB generally does nothing we expect in the rounds we expect it. And even though we have a very young and deep team so far, I will be shocked if we don't have close to 10 picks before BB is done, though if I had my way, I'd look to draft 6 guys and be done by the end of the 2nd day. Quality over quantity. I've been preaching that for the last 3 years and thank god BB hasn't listened. ;)

Last edited:
One position not mentioned there is linebacker. I think that is deep. I like Kendall Beckwith, reminds me of hightower a little

At DE, Carl Lawson is my favorite player in the draft, well prospect (player is peppers assuming he declares) Lawson has a lot of potential as a pass rusher, but the scary part is that he can be an elite edge setter

At DB Ashton Lampkin out of Oklahoma State looks like he can be a really good pro in my opinion, especially with the right coaching. I think he can be a number 1 guy who erases number 1 receivers himself

At RB obviously guys like Fournette and Cook are very good but they are obvious. I suppose McCafrey is obvious too, but he will be better than both of them, except maybe cook. Sleepers I like are Perine from Oklahoma, his first name is haed to spell, Royce Freeman from Oregon, and Kareem Hunt From Toledo. Those guys have a lot of upside in my opinion

Yeah. I totally see one of Cleveland/San Francisco/Chicago trading their top 3 pick + more for Jimmy. This awful QB class will force at least one of the teams to pull the trigger on a Jimmy trade. Using the pick we can grab either Jonathan Allen or Myles Garrett which would be ideal.

Looks like a deep safety class. A prime opportunity for BB to draft another safety in the 2nd round that is not on the so called "draft guru's' radar just to watch the board implode!o_O
Don't even joke about that, please….

Drafting the best available players at positions of need would include those at LT, Power Back, Move TE, Outside WR, Pass-Rushing DE, 3-Tech DT, CB, Coverage LB…in no particular order.

Don't even joke about that, please….

Drafting the best available players at positions of need would include those at LT, Power Back, Move TE, Outside WR, Pass-Rushing DE, 3-Tech DT, CB, Coverage LB…in no particular order.

No Running Back?

But can any of them stretch the field while rushing the passer we need someone who get get sacks and be a deep threat
Sheard and Long can get after the QB, same with Flowers and Brown. However, I wouldn't mind seeing another DE/LB. Nink is getting older so I wouldn't mind seeing another guy in the works learning from some solid players.

Part of me also wants to see a 6-4 Receiver, I can't lie. But hopefully with Floyd if he can catch on, he could be that deep threat. I would also like to see Bennett locked up for a couple more years opposite Gronk. And I guess Ed McCaffrey's son is in this draft he is a RB? But he has a ton of all purpose yards. So he could be an attractive pick as well. depending on where he ranks of course.

If Kizer didn't play for Notre Dame he'd be a 6th or 7th round pick... He blows

I could wax eloquent about this draft class, but instead I'll just say that we're perfectly situated to pick up some excellent players that could solidify our team for years to come. If anyone has specific questions about players or positions, let me know. I'm pretty far into my evaluations this year.
What do you think about Corey Davis and Tim Williams?

Weak on QB and OT.
Sub par on WR
Average on LB, TE, G/C, DT
Strong in DE, S
Very strong in CB, RB

That is my impression from what i have read and the limited scouting i have done.

I would like the Pats to add a DE and CB particularly. Though i think DE doesn't have great depth just about anyone you will be likely to pick in round 1 will be good. CB is legit 2+ rounds deep of guys who would usually go in round 1. I have never seen so much CB depth in a draft.

Last edited:
let's trade jimmy and our 5th, 6th for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. that's fair. and we use 3rd and 4th to move up to 2nd. so we have 1st and 2 2nd. i want

jabril peppers - versatile beast. BB's new toy
jourdan lewis - future potential shutdown CB.
taco charlton - 6ft 6 DE with a long arm. athletic. chandler jones type, but maybe even more athletic.

all michigan guys. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back