PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Preview: Very deep at RBs, DEs, and DBs. Historically weak QB class

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like we need to find another guy like Edelman in the draft soon too. He seems to be slowing a bit (only a little) and he has taken a beating over the years. In no way am I turning my back on Edelman, in fact if we could clone him, I would be all for that..lol I just don't know how much more of a beating this guy can take and I like to find someone like him or be developed into what Edelman has become, which is the most clutch receiver in the NFL. If you need 9 yards, he gets you 9 and a half. He runs exceptional routes and is always willing to do whatever is asked of him to help the team win.

Why would we think BB will do anything different? He'll sign the guys needed to make sure he can field a complete team without a single draft pick. That allows them to go into the draft without a positional weakness, which in turn enables them to take the best player available when their time comes. That strategy pretty much eliminates the process of evaluating the crop of incoming college players vs. the Pats current team weaknesses.

McCaffrey -- versatile white skill player who can play RB and reciever. A prospect hasn't screamed 'future Patriot' quite like him;)

I just want Pats be able to get a top 10 pick, so BB can gestures an X on his crotch at the front office.

I just want Pats be able to get a top 10 pick, so BB can gesture an X on his crotch at the NFL front office

"And if you're not down with that, then we have two words for ya......."

What do you think about Corey Davis and Tim Williams?

Great question! Asking me to expound on Corey Davis is like asking an English teacher to lecture about Shakespeare, or an art critic to discuss Picasso, or a jazz lover to rhapsodize about Louis Armstrong. Actually, perhaps those aren't great comparisons, because I'm not really a big Picasso fan, but I digress. ;)

Corey Davis is the perfect Patriot, although he does have some flaws. Before I dig into his current strengths and weaknesses, however, let me suggest that his playing style is very similar to Malcolm Mitchell, but he's taller, stronger, faster, and far more physical after the catch.

Strengths:
  • Prototypal height and bulk for the position (6'3, #215)
  • Extremely productive (most career receiving yards in FBS history)
  • Both straight line speed and excellent short area quickness; surprising twitch for his size
  • Smooth, coordinated athlete who routinely makes everything look easy
  • Lines up at every WR position (slot, X, Z, whatever names you want to call them)
  • Runs an extensive route tree; shows the ability to separate short, intermediate, and deep
  • Doesn't rely on size/speed to get open; nuanced and precise route runner (will vary release at LoS, use head fakes, gear up/down to disguise intentions, modify the depth of the stem, time breaks effectively, etc)
  • Excels at contested catches (Mossed a defender against Ball State this year)
  • Fights for extra yards and consistently earns YAC via both jukes and stiff arms
  • Blocks aggressively and seriously; considers it an essential part of his game
  • Durable and consistent over career
  • Head coach (Fleck) was an NFL receivers coach, and says Davis would have earned NFL playing time as a sophomore; Fleck has strongly endorsed Davis at every chance
  • Reportedly the hardest worker in the entire locker room
  • Squeaky clean, humble prospect who is highly respected in the program and community

Weaknesses:
  • Despite ability to win jump balls and make spectacular catches, will sometimes not contest 50/50 balls when coming back to the QB; doesn't always play to his size
  • Shows some concentration lapses, and drops easy catches; could have had another 10 catches this season
  • Body catches on occasion; doesn't always show natural hands despite the ability to snatch the ball
  • Concerns about lower level of competition?

While some may look at the weaknesses and worry about another Dobson situation, I have zero concerns. Davis himself has highlighted these areas as his own weaknesses, and has spent dozens of hours on catching drills to improve his hand-eye coordination. He's such a hard worker and takes football seriously. He will continue to improve as a player. He's already quite polished, but I don't think he's hit his ceiling yet. Easy 1st rounder for me. I think he's far and away the best receiver in this class.

I'll get to Tim Williams later. Out of time for the moment. Sorry!

Great question! Asking me to expound on Corey Davis is like asking an English teacher to lecture about Shakespeare, or an art critic to discuss Picasso, or a jazz lover to rhapsodize about Louis Armstrong. Actually, perhaps those aren't great comparisons, because I'm not really a big Picasso fan, but I digress. ;)

Corey Davis is the perfect Patriot, although he does have some flaws. Before I dig into his current strengths and weaknesses, however, let me suggest that his playing style is very similar to Malcolm Mitchell, but he's taller, stronger, faster, and far more physical after the catch.

Strengths:
  • Both straight line speed and excellent short area quickness; surprising twitch for his size
  • Lines up at every WR position (slot, X, Z, whatever names you want to call them)
  • Runs an extensive route tree; shows the ability to separate short, intermediate, and deep
  • Doesn't rely on size/speed to get open; nuanced and precise route runner (will vary release at LoS, use head fakes, gear up/down to disguise intentions, modify the depth of the stem, time breaks effectively, etc)
  • Fights for extra yards and consistently earns YAC via both jukes and stiff arms
  • Head coach (Fleck) was an NFL receivers coach, and says Davis would have earned NFL playing time as a sophomore; Fleck has strongly endorsed Davis at every chance
  • Squeaky clean, humble prospect who is highly respected in the program and community

Weaknesses:
  • Despite ability to win jump balls and make spectacular catches, will sometimes not contest 50/50 balls when coming back to the QB; doesn't always play to his size
  • Shows some concentration lapses, and drops easy catches; could have had another 10 catches this season
  • Body catches on occasion; doesn't always show natural hands despite the ability to snatch the ball

While some may look at the weaknesses and worry about another Dobson situation, I have zero concerns. Davis himself has highlighted these areas as his own weaknesses, and has spent dozens of hours on catching drills to improve his hand-eye coordination. He's such a hard worker and takes football seriously. He will continue to improve as a player. He's already quite polished, but I don't think he's hit his ceiling yet. Easy 1st rounder for me. I think he's far and away the best receiver in this class.

Thanks, thats great info!

What do you think about Corey Davis and Tim Williams?

Upfront, I'll just mention that Tim Williams has great talent. He's clearly an explosive football player who can be a difference maker. That said, I have a few serious concerns. First, he's going to be a 25 year old as a rookie. That may not seem like a big deal, but consider that Myles Garrett is 20 years old, and potentially has a much longer career ahead of him. By the time Williams is done with his rookie contract, he'll be almost 30 years old, which is often the point of decline among football players. It's not the be-all, end-all of the matter, but it is worth considering, particularly since he's 4 - 5 years older than many of the players that he's going against, which means he may be more physically and mentally developed. Second, he's had several off field issues and brushes with the law. These are contextual, just like for any prospect, but they raise a red flag.

As for his actual play, there are some positives and negatives to consider. He's got a good first step, and he definitely knows how to threaten tackles to the outside with his speed. This is largely due to his ability to anticipate the snap and then fly off the line. He usually sells out for the rush; while he's capable of taking on blockers in the run game, it's not his forte (to be fair, he's improved tremendously from last year). He is a designated pass rusher for Alabama, and I assume he'd play the same role for an NFL team. His hand usage has improved this year, and he does a good job of engaging the tackle and then shedding the block to make a play. He's surprisingly sudden, and has a nice dip and rip inside move after getting the tackle on his heels.

The Alabama front 7 is extremely talented. As a result, guys get a lot more one on one looks; I rarely see a back or TE chip the Bama outside rushers, because the inside guys are so dangerous that an offense can't leave them one on one, too. There's a reason they have one of the most stifling defenses in history, and so many projected 1st round players at nearly every position on that defense.

I don't see a ton of variation in William's pass rushing. He doesn't have a huge arsenal to choose from based on the plays I've seen; he has an outside speed rush, or an inside move. Now, he's a very, very good one trick pony, but he still needs to develop more moves. Too easy to shut him down at a pro level, in my opinion, but he does have an excellent success rate. PFF, love em or hate em, gives him the top pass rush success rates by pressures/hits/sacks per snap, so he's no slouch in the department.

I'm conflicted on Williams. He is a speed player, but I don't see the blur-on-the-screen first step that Von Miller displayed. He's still a plus athlete, but I worry that he won't be able to succeed the same way once he is in the NFL. My guess is that with the holes in his game and the off field issues, he will be graded lower for the Patriots than his actual draft value. A team will probably grab him in the 1st or early 2nd, and I'm not sure he brings enough to the table to justify the Pats taking him at 32. But what do I know? I didn't expect Easley. o_O

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Sounds like he's going to be a first round pick, reamer, so you know for a fact that BB isn't going to draft him. All you are doing with this excellent info is teasing the WR nerds. ;) Tell me about the DLmen available, especially the T's

Sounds like he's going to be a first round pick, reamer, so you know for a fact that BB isn't going to draft him. All you are doing with this excellent info is teasing the WR nerds. ;) Tell me about the DLmen available, especially the T's

It all depends on who declares for this draft, honestly. If Vea Vita is available, he has to be the target. He's 6'4 #350, but moves like he's #250. He's on the level of Haloti Ngata or Dontari Poe in my opinion. He doesn't budge against the double team in the run game, and he also can push the pocket as a pass rusher. He's the best defensive tackle in the last few years, as far as I'm concerned. I've seen him blow up screen plays, chase WRs downfield, and throw guards into the QB with one arm. Supremely talented. The only way we'd have a chance at drafting him is if we get a top 10 pick for Garoppolo.

If you want to watch some of his cuts: Vita Vea | Draft Breakdown

Gotta run, but I'll post later with more detail. In this draft I'm a big fan of Jarron Jones and Jaleel Johnson at DT, so I'll give you a rundown on them when I'm back.

Upfront, I'll just mention that Tim Williams has great talent. He's clearly an explosive football player who can be a difference maker. That said, I have a few serious concerns. First, he's going to be a 25 year old as a rookie. That may not seem like a big deal, but consider that Myles Garrett is 20 years old, and potentially has a much longer career ahead of him. By the time Williams is done with his rookie contract, he'll be almost 30 years old, which is often the point of decline among football players. It's not the be-all, end-all of the matter, but it is worth considering, particularly since he's 4 - 5 years older than many of the players that he's going against, which means he may be more physically and mentally developed. Second, he's had several off field issues and brushes with the law. These are contextual, just like for any prospect, but they raise a red flag.

As for his actual play, there are some positives and negatives to consider. He's got a good first step, and he definitely knows how to threaten tackles to the outside with his speed. This is largely due to his ability to anticipate the snap and then fly off the line. He usually sells out for the rush; while he's capable of taking on blockers in the run game, it's not his forte (to be fair, he's improved tremendously from last year). He is a designated pass rusher for Alabama, and I assume he'd play the same role for an NFL team. His hand usage has improved this year, and he does a good job of engaging the tackle and then shedding the block to make a play. He's surprisingly sudden, and has a nice dip and rip inside move after getting the tackle on his heels.

The Alabama front 7 is extremely talented. As a result, guys get a lot more one on one looks; I rarely see a back or TE chip the Bama outside rushers, because the inside guys are so dangerous that an offense can't leave them one on one, too. There's a reason they have one of the most stifling defenses in history, and so many projected 1st round players at nearly every position on that defense.

I don't see a ton of variation in William's pass rushing. He doesn't have a huge arsenal to choose from based on the plays I've seen; he has an outside speed rush, or an inside move. Now, he's a very, very good one trick pony, but he still needs to develop more moves. Too easy to shut him down at a pro level, in my opinion, but he does have an excellent success rate. PFF, love em or hate em, gives him the top pass rush success rates by pressures/hits/sacks per snap, so he's no slouch in the department.

I'm conflicted on Williams. He is a speed player, but I don't see the blur-on-the-screen first step that Von Miller displayed. He's still a plus athlete, but I worry that he won't be able to succeed the same way once he is in the NFL. My guess is that with the holes in his game and the off field issues, he will be graded lower for the Patriots than his actual draft value. A team will probably grab him in the 1st or early 2nd, and I'm not sure he brings enough to the table to justify the Pats takinjog him at 32. But what do I know? I didn't expect Easley. o_O

Nice job Reams but I think he'll be 24 next November? Plus the arrest.

He's a 2nd rounder for me. He can get a lil stronger but pretty much maxed out.

Only other thing I'll add is he has some decent wiggle to get through the line and had some success that way. Esp last year.

I'm sure you've heard the Irvin comp's. Todays game and past off field issues.

This D would be scary legit with a great passrusher. I'm hoping the Browns give us the Eagles pick :) (for Jimmy). Who would you get in that range?

I like Jaeel Johnson but will let Reams tell you about him since he mentioned him.

One guy that is rising and is a binky of mine is Montravius Adams. 6'4/308 I've heard the Falcons, Seahawks and Titans love him.

39 (23 solo) tkl - 8.5 tfl - 4.5 sacks - 1 int - 2 FR - 1FF -2 blocked kicks - 15 hurries

Great kid that wants to start a non profit with his first NFL contract for women because of his mom. Likes to joke around w/ family and friends and generally good person from everything I've gathered. Not someone who's going out at night w/ his crew. He's a "friends" kind of guy.

Carries his frame very well. Nicely built. Thick throughout. Probably could get a lil stronger but thats just the "grown man" strength hes coming into now.

Very Athletic kid who plays very light on his feet. Great off the ball and timing the snap. Rare consistency doing both. That lets him disrupt the backfield a lot. He's a very good "swimmer" w/ a very nice swim move. Good grip n rip (nice hands). Nice lil spin move he'll use at times. Can knife and get skinny. Great motor.

Has to play with a meaner streak and pad level although 6'4 will always be there. Technique needs to be cleaned up. Overall strength could be better.

Id sit him down and have him watch John Henderson

Check out @DTPDraftScout's Tweet:

Another guy that is all about interior pressure is Caleb Brantley.

Great burst and get off consistently. Very nice balance and ability to knife. Very nice closing speed. Good awareness around the ball when hes making a play. He has very fast and strong hands. Good footwork. Enough functional strength to play at the next level.

Has to be more consistent. Has to play with more effort. Strictly a 3tech.

Check out @lipevieira's Tweet:

One thing I do for a lot of players, esp across the line, is slow down the flim or even pause it to see who gets off the ball the fastest.

Check out @AtlHarrah's Tweet:

This D would be scary legit with a great passrusher. I'm hoping the Browns give us the Eagles pick :) (for Jimmy). Who would you get in that range?

Derek Barnett. Broke Reggie White's college sack record at Tennessee (32 sacks), and he's only a junior. Tons to like about his game; his very stoutly built and plays physically. He puts some nasty hits on opposing players. He's very instinctive, and just has a natural feel for the position. Most analysts have Myles Garrett ahead of him at DE, but Garrett might go 1st overall, while there's still a chance that Barnett is available at #10. The more I watch him, the more I think he's going to be a long term starter in the NFL, and he'll probably earn a few pro bowls.

Charles Harris is another edge guy I really like. He may be available at the end of round 1, just because of the logjam ahead of him, but he has really great get off and one of the sweetest spin moves you'll see. Just take a look at this beaut:

I like Jaeel Johnson but will let Reams tell you about him since he mentioned him.

One guy that is rising and is a binky of mine is Montravius Adams. 6'4/308 I've heard the Falcons, Seahawks and Titans love him.

39 (23 solo) tkl - 8.5 tfl - 4.5 sacks - 1 int - 2 FR - 1FF -2 blocked kicks - 15 hurries

Great kid that wants to start a non profit with his first NFL contract for women because of his mom. Likes to joke around w/ family and friends and generally good person from everything I've gathered. Not someone who's going out at night w/ his crew. He's a "friends" kind of guy.

Carries his frame very well. Nicely built. Thick throughout. Probably could get a lil stronger but thats just the "grown man" strength hes coming into now.

Very Athletic kid who plays very light on his feet. Great off the ball and timing the snap. Rare consistency doing both. That lets him disrupt the backfield a lot. He's a very good "swimmer" w/ a very nice swim move. Good grip n rip (nice hands). Nice lil spin move he'll use at times. Can knife and get skinny. Great motor.

Has to play with a meaner streak and pad level although 6'4 will always be there. Technique needs to be cleaned up. Overall strength could be better.

Id sit him down and have him watch John Henderson

Check out @DTPDraftScout's Tweet:

Another guy that is all about interior pressure is Caleb Brantley.

Great burst and get off consistently. Very nice balance and ability to knife. Very nice closing speed. Good awareness around the ball when hes making a play. He has very fast and strong hands. Good footwork. Enough functional strength to play at the next level.

Has to be more consistent. Has to play with more effort. Strictly a 3tech.

Check out @lipevieira's Tweet:

One thing I do for a lot of players, esp across the line, is slow down the flim or even pause it to see who gets off the ball the fastest.

Check out @AtlHarrah's Tweet:
Thanks for the info, I'm smarter for it. ;)

BTW- a fast first step is one of my pet peeves, since I believe strongly that guys who are athletic enough to reach the NFL can ALL have a quicker first step, because it is something you can work on. I found out for myself when I was a 200lb DE/NT in college, and taught to lots of kids in HS and saw improvement even at that level. I am at a loss to figure out why it isn't emphasised more, especially given how critical it is to a successful guy like Von Miller. Joey Bosa is having a great rookie year by the highlights I see, and it's easy to see why, when you watch him, consistently first off the ball.

I have this dream that BB hires me to coach just this one aspect of the game to his players.

BTW- great screen grab of Brantley so far ahead of his teammates off the ball. That alone will get me excited about him come April

Derek Barnett. Broke Reggie White's college sack record at Tennessee (32 sacks), and he's only a junior. Tons to like about his game; his very stoutly built and plays physically. He puts some nasty hits on opposing players. He's very instinctive, and just has a natural feel for the position. Most analysts have Myles Garrett ahead of him at DE, but Garrett might go 1st overall, while there's still a chance that Barnett is available at #10. The more I watch him, the more I think he's going to be a long term starter in the NFL, and he'll probably earn a few pro bowls.

Charles Harris is another edge guy I really like. He may be available at the end of round 1, just because of the logjam ahead of him, but he has really great get off and one of the sweetest spin moves you'll see. Just take a look at this beaut:

RN Its Garrett - Barnett - Harris for me

Barnett really put it all together this year.

Check out @MoveTheSticks's Tweet:

Check out @JonahTulsNFL's Tweet:

Check out @LedyardNFLDraft's Tweet:

Check out @MikeMayock's Tweet:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I'm smarter for it. ;)

BTW- a fast first step is one of my pet peeves, since I believe strongly that guys who are athletic enough to reach the NFL can ALL have a quicker first step, because it is something you can work on. I found out for myself when I was a 200lb DE/NT in college, and taught to lots of kids in HS and saw improvement even at that level. I am at a loss to figure out why it isn't emphasised more, especially given how critical it is to a successful guy like Von Miller. Joey Bosa is having a great rookie year by the highlights I see, and it's easy to see why, when you watch him, consistently first off the ball.

I have this dream that BB hires me to coach just this one aspect of the game to his players.

BTW- great screen grab of Brantley so far ahead of his teammates off the ball. That alone will get me excited about him come April

Any time. I love talking football and have always loved the draft.

Why would we think BB will do anything different? He'll sign the guys needed to make sure he can field a complete team without a single draft pick. That allows them to go into the draft without a positional weakness, which in turn enables them to take the best player available when their time comes.

Yep, Belichick makes sure the roster is complete enough to allow draft flexibility: to snap up a sliding "bargain" like Malcom Brown; to accept a lucrative trade-out offer; to not be boxed into a corner and have to overpay for a need position. This year more than most. Barring a really wacky free agency period, they should have no immediate gaping holes on their roster. Similarly, there are a precious few positions I'd rule out in rounds 1-2.

And yet...even "best player available" is a position-dependent calculation. Some positions are just harder to fill than others: LT, QB and CB>5'11" come to mind. I probably would have put OT at the top of my wish list this year, but it's a very weak OT class.

And yet...even "best player available" is a position-dependent calculation. Some positions are just harder to fill than others: LT, QB and CB>5'11" come to mind. I probably would have put OT at the top of my wish list this year, but it's a very weak OT class.

People keep saying that, and it's true that there's not a premiere guy, but there are still some very serviceable players who could put together long NFL careers. I never understood why McDermott fell so much after giving up a sack and a few hurries to Garrett in the first game this year. McDermott played him pretty well for most of the game. He's got great size and athleticism. He reminds more of Solder than any tackle over the last couple years (for better or worse). We seem to like those long, rangy guys who can pull and block downfield. I wouldn't be surprised if McDermott ended up here, which seemed like an impossibility based on pre-season rankings, where he was listed as a top ten player. Now most sites don't even have him in the 2nd round! Fickle audience. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back