PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2016-17 College Football Bowl Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I hear Harrison's name, I want him to be Rodney instead of Ronnie. Nostalgia is strong.

This reminds me of when teams get amped up to play the Patriots. They come out hot and maybe get a lead, but by the end of the game, they just don't hold up. I'm quite confident that Bama is going to roll once they find their groove.

Washington's got some good D happening.

EDIT: NVM. TE just ran by.

Austin Appleby is such a trash bag quarterback.

Excellent goal line stand by the Gators D!! Only 97 yards to go to hit paydirt.

haha, the Gators offense is non existent.
This year it is. They have some very promising prospects starting next year. I'm not sure how I feel about McElwain, though. Too much of an "aw shucks" attitude about him.

Touchdown, Gators! Iowa's defense looks like they're beginning to get worn down by the heat.

Yeah, the days are gone when the SEC was the class of college football. They've fallen back to the pack a bit in recent years. In the 2000's, they were dominant. Now the rest of the country is having success recruiting in the southeast and, as a result, are catching up. That said, Alabama is still in a class of their own.

IMHO a major reason that the SEC fell back this year was one position: QB. The SEC is well represented when one looks at starting QB's in the NFL: Ryan Tannehill, Eli Manning, Jay Cutler, Matthew Stafford, Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, and of course Dallas rookie Dak Prescott. However, this was really a down year for SEC quarterbacks for the usual SEC powerhouse teams. Old Miss's Kelly was lost for the year, LSU never really got any decent QB play (thus the new coach), Texas A&M had a couple of highly touted QB's transfer away, Auburn's QB play was unexpectedly inconsistent (although Soph Sean White shows promise), Georgia ended up starting a (admittedly very talented) true freshman Jacob Eason, and Florida QB situation was a disaster. Then there is Alabama, which had a talented junior QB and a 5-Star redshirt freshman that was widely viewed as potentially the best Alabama QB since Joe Namath, and to everyone's astonishment Nick Saban went with a comparatively unheralded true freshman instead, Jalen Hurts, who seems almost inhumanly poised (and unbelievably strong) for a true freshman.

I guess the point is that next year the QB situation be quite a bit better at a few strong SEC schools: Georgia's Eason could be very good, as could Auburn's White. Florida has a couple of highly ranked Freshmen QB's recruits that could be good. And I think it has become clear that Jalen Hurts could become a true star for Alabama in the next year or two, kind of a smaller, much more professional and mature version of Cam Newton. If LSU could ever manage to get a decent QB the SEC would be a powerhouse once again.

Last edited:
In true Gators style, it doesn't appear as if they made any adjustments whatsoever at the half and Iowa did. Slow, methodical drive down the field where they are targeting our DT's in the running game.

Ballsy move by Nick the Prick to can Lane Kiffin prior to the title game. If I'm Kiffin, I'm on the phone with Dabo spilling as much as I can about what Alabama wants to do in the game.

Terrible call there by the zebras to wipe out the TD. There was zero illegal shift that took place.

IMHO a major reason that the SEC fell back this year was one position: QB. The SEC is well represented when one looks at starting QB's in the NFL: Ryan Tannehill, Eli Manning, Jay Cutler, Matthew Stafford, Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, and of course Dallas rookie Dak Prescott. However, this was really a down year for SEC quarterbacks for the usual SEC powerhouse teams. Old Miss's Kelly was lost for the year, LSU never really got any decent QB play (thus the new coach), Texas A&M had a couple of highly touted QB's transfer away, Auburn's QB play was unexpectedly inconsistent (although Soph Sean White shows promise), Georgia ended up starting a (admittedly very talented) true freshman Jacob Eason, and Florida QB situation was a disaster. Then there is Alabama, which had a talented junior QB and a 5-Star redshirt freshman that was widely viewed as potentially the best Alabama QB since Joe Namath, and to everyone's astonishment Nick Saban went with a comparatively unheralded true freshman instead, Jalen Hurts, who seems almost inhumanly poised (and unbelievably strong) for a true freshman.

I guess the point is that next year the QB situation be quite a bit better at a few strong SEC schools: Georgia's Eason could be very good, as could Auburn's White. Florida has a couple of highly ranked Freshmen QB's recruits that could be good. And I think it has become clear that Jalen Hurts could become a true star for Alabama in the next year or two, kind of a smaller, much more professional and mature version of Cam Newton. If LSU could ever manage to get a decent QB the SEC would be a powerhouse once again.

4 good, 2 crappy, and 1 unknown but looking good QBs in the last 13 years does not make the SEC a good conference for QBs. In fact, I would say QB play in the SEC is below average compared to other conferences. This could be due to SEC defenses being really good. But considering all the good OL, RB and WR that come out of the SEC I think their QBs kinda suck.

Jesus. Beathard's even worse than Appleby.

Sam Darnold is going to be a very good quarterback for years to come. Do not understand Penn State's play calling there.

That was one of the best games I've ever seen.

Sam Darnold is going to be a very good quarterback for years to come. Do not understand Penn State's play calling there.

If Jimmy isn't our next QB, I hope it's Sam somehow. Mentioned him the Peach bowl thread the other day so I'm def not jumping on his bandwagon after that performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back