PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Week One Post-Game Thread - Patriots 28, Steelers 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
And he's just starting. I truly believe Brady will play until he's 45 because he breaks the mold with his fanatical lifestyle/conditioning. Collinsworth mentioned it last night on the broadcast- Tom is looking as good as ever at age 38. He set a new Patriots records with 19 consecutive completions on Thursday! That's just who he is.

Brady's replacement is still in high school.

2016 will be the year to watch. In 2017 his cap hit will be $16m and if he leaves they will save $10m.

If he's playing like this I would imagine in 2016 that they would extend him and do a little tweaking to lower the number and spread it out the guaranteed $. He may qualify for AARP by then :D

I thought this was an interesting perspective on what Brady achieved Thursday:

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora 23m23 minutes ago
Tom Brady is only the second QB ever to complete 75% of his passes and throw 4 TDs against the Steelers. Dan Marino in 1987 is the other.

I'd like to see more Chandler and DA. Cant have JE and Gronk working like that all season. And does Dobson want to be in this league? Where the fak did he disappear to?

His assigned gameplan was to run clearouts for Edelmen. He caught the one pass that Brady threw to him. Brady never threw at him deep. But he did a good job doing the thankless job of clearouts. He earned his paycheck. BB will remember that.

It is a Team game. The poet once sang the praises for such as him, when he said:..."They also serve, who only stand and wait..."

His assigned gameplan was to run clearouts for Edelmen. He caught the one pass that Brady threw to him. Brady never threw at him deep. But he did a good job doing the thankless job of clearouts. He earned his paycheck. BB will remember that.

It is a Team game. The poet once sang the praises for such as him, when he said:..."They also serve, who only stand and wait..."

I think some people took my statement out of context. I am a huge DA fan. Thought he had a solid game with ST play and would have had great stats if TB hit him on that route.

I think he will have a great year and knows his role. I just hope that JE and RG dont have to take a beating every game because it will wear them down near the end of the season or worse get them hurt. They play full tilt. But it seems like DA, SC, and AD will be chipping in and spreading the yards and points around.

I think some people took my statement out of context. I am a huge DA fan. Thought he had a solid game with ST play and would have had great stats if TB hit him on that route.

I think he will have a great year and knows his role. I just hope that JE and RG dont have to take a beating every game because it will wear them down near the end of the season or worse get them hurt. They play full tilt. But it seems like DA, SC, and AD will be chipping in and spreading the yards and points around.
I posted earlier that I wonder if they will pace DA like they did last season. I think that is why he was able to come on so strong toward the end of last season and into the playoffs. His body hadn't taken the kind of pounding it usually does because he goes full tilt too, just liked JE and RG. I have always like DA, while acknowledging his past in terms on injury. I was happy when he signed on to stay.

Last edited:
I posted earlier that I wonder if they will pace DA like they did last season. .
It does seem like they did that. He is a talented guy and his stats were not in line with his potential last year. It is like they switched him on for the playoffs and he exploded. Granted he had some huge key plays last year at critical times and won us the Jets game.

This year he seems more involved. Maybe he is healthier or another full year in the system has made him more more on the same page with TB.

If TB hit him on that route where he burned the Pitt secondary his numbers (technically) would have looked like 3 targets, 3 receptions, and about 50 yards - an 800 yard pace for the year.

Figure he plays like that going forward, plus his special team play and he may be the biggest veteran bargain 3rd WR in the NFL.

I think he could do more and we may see more. I think about the 1st game Buffalo in 2013. He was on fire.

Yep. The Steelers missed two FGs, blew a TD reception into a FG, and turned first-and-goal from the 1 into a FG.

And the final margin was only 7 points.. Even though that was artificially narrowed by the game situation, the fact remains that they left 14 points on the board that they really should have gotten.

The Steelers replaced their holder after the second FGA. Was it him, Scobey, or was it poor LS? BB attention to detail on ST may have won it for them, with Allen and Cardona, as wells the Ghost.

It does seem like they did that. He is a talented guy and his stats were not in line with his potential last year. It is like they switched him on for the playoffs and he exploded. Granted he had some huge key plays last year at critical times and won us the Jets game.

This year he seems more involved. Maybe he is healthier or another full year in the system has made him more more on the same page with TB.

If TB hit him on that route where he burned the Pitt secondary his numbers (technically) would have looked like 3 targets, 3 receptions, and about 50 yards - an 800 yard pace for the year.

Figure he plays like that going forward, plus his special team play and he may be the biggest veteran bargain 3rd WR in the NFL.

I think he could do more and we may see more. I think about the 1st game Buffalo in 2013. He was on fire.
He was nuts in that 2013 Buff game. Do you remember the catch he made late in the air where he got hit and spun before landing (kind of reminded me of the Elway goalline play in the SB)? He is supremely talented, as you say. I just don't think his body can take the abuse if they try to have him do too much. Nonetheless, I agree with you that he will have an increased role this season . . . if for no other reason than we won't have LaFell for the first six weeks (I never stopped being bummed about that).

Yeah. Big learning experience. If he can't play a lot more effectively than this, it will be purely some athletic failing. His body stayed close to Brown's and his hands stayed close to the football; the passes just got completed anyway.

One of the early catches was almost as ridiculous as the Kearse one, actually; just not nearly as dramatic.

Everyone overlo0oks the YAC that did NOT happen on almost all the Steeler completions. So even if the passes were contested but completed, they did not hurt the Pats too much more. I like this secondary's potential...

The PI on Chung was complete BS.. You can't call Defensive PI when the OFFENSIVE player is initiating the contact..

Have you ever watched how players draw fouls in the NBA by getting the defender airborne and then jumping INTO them? SOP!

Well now that radio gate has been smashes by the league statement hopefully, this was a big win for the Pats because it was against an AFC contender can be huge for seeding down the line

That is what should have been done about football pressures too. Is Goodell standing down and offering an Olive branch?

Kraft's behind the scenes pressure with the other owners, seems to be working.

In the 2nd half, Jones spent most of the time as a DT with Ninkovich or Sheard lined up as the RDE. And from the snap count, it looks like they had Grissom lining up as a DT as well.. I'll have to go back and watch to see if that was the case.

Yes Grissom was playing DT. I spent almost a quarter trying to read who "mystery man" 92 was. They changed Grissoms # from one in the 40s. He seemed to come in for Easley #99, (new number too) and never left.

Everyone overlo0oks the YAC that did NOT happen on almost all the Steeler completions. So even if the passes were contested but completed, they did not hurt the Pats too much more. I like this secondary's potential...

Good point. I think you're right, and it's not even a question of these guys being good tacklers, which they are. (Brown's fist pump after he blew up a running play on what I think was a TFL was classic.)

When there's close coverage, the tackle on a completion can be pretty automatic.

The Steelers replaced their holder after the second FGA. Was it him, Scobey, or was it poor LS? BB attention to detail on ST may have won it for them, with Allen and Cardona, as wells the Ghost.

Well, you probably already expected me to say this, but -- while Tomlin could get a pass on anything that was actually Scobee's fault (two injuries in a short time at a position where one doesn't have roster room for backups can be a factor that transcends coaching), otherwise ST failures are symptomatic of a coach not paying enough attention to key details, and a key aspect of Pats-vs.-Steeler history.

Things like FGs and time management are part of winning in the NFL. You can't ever say, "Well, if the kicker had made those field goals..." If the kicker had made those field goals, he'd be Gost, and he'd be taking 4 million from the cap.

I agree with this post, with exception to the last statement. Scobee is now our THIRD Kicker since the preseason began. He "might" be a serviceable veteran kicker. The jury is still out, especially after that game. But Suisham doesn't miss those FGs. It's unfortunate, but injuries are part of the game....even kickers. That being said, clutch NFL-caliber kickers don't exactly grow on trees. I guess the real lesson here is this: NEVER trust anyone from Jacksonville. ;)

I will agree that the Steelers simply left too many points on the field. Missed FGs, DHB with a foot out of bounds on a gimme' TD, inability to convert a TD from inside the 6 yard line with about 6 chances! (There was a NE penalty there that gave us a 1st and Goal), etc.

I wasn't terribly disappointed in what I saw from my team as a whole. The offense looked fine, and that's minus two of our big playmakers in Bell and Bryant. O-line did a fantastic job run blocking and pass protection. Defense was par for the course here in the 'Burgh. Our secondary is super-sketchy, but that's old news. Even so, how do we let Gronk virtually uncovered not ONCE, but TWICE?! Ugly, but I believe that will be corrected.

The Pats were the better team Thursday night. They made less mistakes and capitalized on ours. That being said, take away just one or two little miscues from the Steelers, and the outcome could have been much different. I wouldn't get TOO excited about the Pats just yet. For the most part, Pittsburgh moved the ball at will against your D, and again...without 2 of our most dynamic players. Bell may have gashed you for 200+.

Hope to see you all in the playoffs this year. Congrats on your opening week W.

I agree with this post, with exception to the last statement. Scobee is now our THIRD Kicker since the preseason began. He "might" be a serviceable veteran kicker. The jury is still out, especially after that game. But Suisham doesn't miss those FGs. It's unfortunate, but injuries are part of the game....even kickers. That being said, clutch NFL-caliber kickers don't exactly grow on trees. I guess the real lesson here is this: NEVER trust anyone from Jacksonville. ;)

I will agree that the Steelers simply left too many points on the field. Missed FGs, DHB with a foot out of bounds on a gimme' TD, inability to convert a TD from inside the 6 yard line with about 6 chances! (There was a NE penalty there that gave us a 1st and Goal), etc.

I wasn't terribly disappointed in what I saw from my team as a whole. The offense looked fine, and that's minus two of our big playmakers in Bell and Bryant. O-line did a fantastic job run blocking and pass protection. Defense was par for the course here in the 'Burgh. Our secondary is super-sketchy, but that's old news. Even so, how do we let Gronk virtually uncovered not ONCE, but TWICE?! Ugly, but I believe that will be corrected.

The Pats were the better team Thursday night. They made less mistakes and capitalized on ours. That being said, take away just one or two little miscues from the Steelers, and the outcome could have been much different. I wouldn't get TOO excited about the Pats just yet. For the most part, Pittsburgh moved the ball at will against your D, and again...without 2 of our most dynamic players. Bell may have gashed you for 200+.

Hope to see you all in the playoffs this year. Congrats on your opening week W.

While everything you say is obviously true, don't miss the point that you can't rewind sports like that. "Oh, if the pitcher hadn't picked off the guy at first, he would have scored on that double..."

Sure, but if the guy on first was still on first, it would have meant a different approach to the hitter, perhaps, and so on and so on. The Patriots won because they were the better team that night. They capitalized, they did what they needed to do, and so they won.

If Bell was there, BB runs a different D, perhaps, but I have to say, De'Angelo Williams looked very quick - much quicker than I've seen him in recent years.

All that said, I do think those were the two best teams in the AFC, particularly after watching the Colts, Denver and Baltimore, and if that was an AFCCG preview, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised.

Of course i like that it will more likely be in NEw England than in Pittsburgh...

I posted earlier that I wonder if they will pace DA like they did last season. I think that is why he was able to come on so strong toward the end of last season and into the playoffs. His body hadn't taken the kind of pounding it usually does because he goes full tilt too, just liked JE and RG. I have always like DA, while acknowledging his past in terms on injury. I was happy when he signed on to stay.

I doubt it. Last year he wasn't fully healthy until late October or November, so that probably was most responsible for the slow start and latter year ramp up.

I doubt it. Last year he wasn't fully healthy until late October or November, so that probably was most responsible for the slow start and latter year ramp up.
He definitely looked faster and quicker on Thurs. night compared to times in the past. You may be exactly right.

EDIT: I should add to my post that Andrews was much better than I expected. Being wrong is not often so enjoyable. :)

You get used to it if you're married. As normal as breathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots