PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* 2012 Draft Offensive Line *

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Michael Williams and i've had him in my last few mocks, and probably will the rest of the way, because like you said he is a beast of a blocker. He's been a key part of the success of both Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson in the past few years, and I think he could step in from day 1 and fill the Alge Crumpler role I think we are missing this year. I think he has the skills and frame to potentially transition to OT, but with his athletecism, and unterutilized pass catching potential, I prefer him at TE. Given some time to develop I could see him as a poor mans Gronk or Brandon Pettigrew type player.

Where do you have him being taken in your mocks?

Where do you have him being taken in your mocks?

I've got him in the 4th. He would likely be available a little later because he isn't a 'sexy' TE, but I like him in the 4th. If he can show some of his pass catching abilities in the last few games of the season he could increase his stock though.

Mike Adams is a bust. I guarantee that. As for the Wisconsin RT. Good Run blocker, ok pass protector, probably a 1-2 year project pick (3rd day selection).

Since we have no 3rd day selections, guess we aren't taking him.

Assuming you're talking about Oglesby, if he goes UFA, he's anybody's.

With BB's trading down I'm sure we will pick up some late round picks at some point. And with Oglesby's extensive injury history he could easily be an UDFA anyway, so I think he's worth the risk. But like you said he is going to take time to develop because he is still playing mostly off pure talent, and needs a lot of technique work. One positive I read though is that he is one of, if not the hardest worker on the Wisconsin team, he's just had some terrible injury luck.

Well said, sir!! :rocker:

Grid, thanks again for the posts.

Are there any TE->O-line conversions in the Maneri mold for this year?

Beau Reliford of Florida State ~ 6.5/260 ~ a guy I really like as a punishing Blocker.

And he's a BasketBall conversion, which is my FAVORITE!! :rocker:

But at 6.5, I just don't think he's got the Frame...

George Bryan of North Carolina State ~ 6.5/265 ~ is another guy, but he's also too short to be expected to just add 40-50 pounds, and while he's got some blocking chops, he's not at Reliford's level, much less that of Steve Maneri, Will Yeatman, or Lee Smith...

Of course, there is ONE guy...

Michael Williams of Alabama ~ 6.6/270 and a BEAST of a Blocker!! :rocker:

We Have BINGO!!

tumblr_kur86gEqeE1qz97cwo1_500.png

I love Michael Williams and i've had him in my last few mocks, and probably will the rest of the way, because like you said he is a beast of a blocker.

He's been a key part of the success of both Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson in the past few years, and I think he could step in from day 1 and fill the Alge Crumpler role I think we are missing this year.

I think he has the skills and frame to potentially transition to OT, but with his athletecism, and unterutilized pass catching potential, I prefer him at TE.

Given some time to develop I could see him as a poor mans Gronk or Brandon Pettigrew type player.

The Tight End Complex:

Tight Ends ~ Blocking ~ Alge Crumpler
Flex Ends ~ 50/50 ~ Rob Gronkowski
Wing Backs ~ Receiving ~ Aaron The Navigator

Given my druthers, I'd reduce the Tight End Alge Crumpler role, perhaps eliminate it.

I'd rather have Gronk I and Gronk II, along with Aaron I and Aaron II.

Keep those Defenses GUESSING. :D

So as much as I love Williams ~ he's a Junior, of course ~ I want to understand better how much of threat in the Passing Game he would be, before I make a move on'm...But of course that's just ME: I'm not trying to sell anyone on my Radical ways. :cool:

So as much as I love Williams ~ he's a Junior, of course ~ I want to understand better how much of threat in the Passing Game he would be, before I make a move on'm...But of course that's just ME: I'm not trying to sell anyone on my Radical ways. :cool:

I don't think we will see Williams reach his full potential as a pass catcher until he reaches the NFL. Saban mainly uses him as a blocker, and with good reason because he is great at it. But he has very good athletecism for his size, and from what I've seen he has decent hands. I think its just a matter of getting the reps in for him to be at least an average recieving TE, possibly more. But with his blocking he should be able to get on the field early and give himself time to develop as a pass catcher.

Whether he declares early or not could come down to how Alabama does the rest of the way and if they win a national title. If they do I think we will see most of the underclassmen declare early. If not they may decide to stay and have one more shot.

I don't think we will see Williams reach his full potential as a pass catcher until he reaches the NFL. Saban mainly uses him as a blocker, and with good reason because he is great at it. But he has very good athletecism for his size, and from what I've seen he has decent hands. I think its just a matter of getting the reps in for him to be at least an average recieving TE, possibly more. But with his blocking he should be able to get on the field early and give himself time to develop as a pass catcher.

Of course, there is ONE guy...

Michael Williams of Alabama ~ 6.6/270 and a BEAST of a Blocker!! :rocker:

For a 4th round pick I'm intrigued.

apollocreed.jpg

"I gotta admit, Rock, you got me curious"

Wow!! :eek:

Brother Wilfork phrased it EXACTLY the way I did?? :eek:

That's ASTONISHING...He even employed a TILDA!! :singing:

After watching all the Pats O-linemen go down against what was supposed to be a pushover team my desire for more/better O-line Grizzliness is only strengthened. I’m definitely thinking more about DeCastro in the first round, this team is only going so far with a depleted O-line, opening holes for the running game and protecting TFB, who got smacked around last night despite our win, is a priority.

407738.jpg

After watching all the Pats O-linemen go down against what was supposed to be a pushover team my desire for more/better O-line Grizzliness is only strengthened. I’m definitely thinking more about DeCastro in the first round, this team is only going so far with a depleted O-line, opening holes for the running game and protecting TFB, who got smacked around last night despite our win, is a priority.

407738.jpg

You're doing the right thing, Brother Snake!! :D

A CornerStone of my Drafting Philosophy is that when a Super Elite Grizzly or Super Elite Defensive Front 7 Prospect ~ a Once Every 5 or 10 Years level Prospect ~ comes within shouting range, I make him Priority One.

Marquis de Pouncey, for instance: I would've traded UP. :cool:

Initially, it looked like DeCastro's Market Value had catapulted to the Top 10 ~ and it may, yet ~ but things quickly simmered down, and for the last few weeks he's been looking at the 15-20 range.

If he remains there, no WAY do I let this Once In A Decade Super Grizzly go.

Unless DeCastro can play C. Too many other holes to fill. We have Brian Waters and Marcus Cannon to battle it out for RG next year. While DeCastro is an upgrade. Not a significant enough upgrade to use a first on him. Marcus Cannon is a mammoth human being. He's going to play RG for us for a long time. Nobody's talking about it. But, Sebastian Vollmer just hasn't been as good as he was his first two years. I'm sure it's because of his back and am giving him a slight pass. But, let's call it like it is. Also, the loss of Koppen is starting to show. Connolly/Wendell are good for a couple of games. Not 16. C is the position to upgrade if we don't bring Koppen back. I don't think Konz, Brewster or Jones are good enough to be picked in the first though.

Unless DeCastro can play C. Too many other holes to fill. We have Brian Waters and Marcus Cannon to battle it out for RG next year. While DeCastro is an upgrade. Not a significant enough upgrade to use a first on him. Marcus Cannon is a mammoth human being. He's going to play RG for us for a long time. Nobody's talking about it. But, Sebastian Vollmer just hasn't been as good as he was his first two years. I'm sure it's because of his back and am giving him a slight pass. But, let's call it like it is. Also, the loss of Koppen is starting to show. Connolly/Wendell are good for a couple of games. Not 16. C is the position to upgrade if we don't bring Koppen back. I don't think Konz, Brewster or Jones are good enough to be picked in the first though.

The fact that Vollmer has been looking like Kaczur 2.0 lately is EXACTLY why we need additional Grizzlies.

TFB is the franchise, he needs protecting, and it's not like these guys can't be injured. Waters isn't a spring chicken either, if DeCastro is that much of a stud I don't know how you couldnt take him.

The fact that Vollmer has been looking like Kaczur 2.0 lately is EXACTLY why we need additional Grizzlies.

TFB is the franchise, he needs protecting, and it's not like these guys can't be injured. Waters isn't a spring chicken either, if DeCastro is that much of a stud I don't know how you couldnt take him.

How is drafting defensive linemen instead of offensive linemen ignoring grizzlies?

You forget to mention that Vollmer is playing thru a nagging back injury this year. He's missed a ton of practice time. These guys aren't robots or Madden players. Sometimes they don't play as well as projected because of injuries. Not because they suck. He played at an all-pro level last year. He will be back. He's not Nick Kaczur. As for RG. I'll bet if you asked Dante Scarnecchia to grade each position on the OL. RG would come out highest. Sure he's no spring chicken, but he is signed for next year. And, Marcus Cannon will be chomping at the bit to get on the field next year at that position. Cannon was a late first or early 2nd before being diagnosed with lymphoma. We do not need to spend any early picks on guards or tackles. Plain and simple. If you have someone you like at C, we'll talk. But, I think Brewster is over-rated. Konz says he's returning to Wisconsin. Ben Jones can be had late in the 2nd.

How is drafting defensive linemen instead of offensive linemen ignoring grizzlies?

You forget to mention that Vollmer is playing thru a nagging back injury this year. He's missed a ton of practice time. These guys aren't robots or Madden players. Sometimes they don't play as well as projected because of injuries. Not because they suck. He played at an all-pro level last year. He will be back. He's not Nick Kaczur. As for RG. I'll bet if you asked Dante Scarnecchia to grade each position on the OL. RG would come out highest. Sure he's no spring chicken, but he is signed for next year. And, Marcus Cannon will be chomping at the bit to get on the field next year at that position. Cannon was a late first or early 2nd before being diagnosed with lymphoma. We do not need to spend any early picks on guards or tackles. Plain and simple. If you have someone you like at C, we'll talk. But, I think Brewster is over-rated. Konz says he's returning to Wisconsin. Ben Jones can be had late in the 2nd.

I'm thinking DeCastro.

What a draft for Guards!

Have you guys looked at the guards this year? Wow; there are some massive goons out there...perfect for steamrolling nose tackles. Too bad it is not a need area for the Patriots although Logan Mankins had some problems at the end of the season. Maybe it is time for a road grader.

Centers!!

Explanation of Colors + Numbers

1 ~ Red = OverRated ~ in my OH so humble opinion!!

2 ~ Purple = Sleeper or Steal or Super Sleeper!!

3 ~ Blue = Bargain ~ Good Value.

4 ~ The first number = Market Value ~ my best guess, based on CBS, Walter, Et Cetera...

5 ~ The second number = FIENDISH Value ~ how I grade them!!

6 ~ These will all be Cut + Pasted from yon Site, so the formats are different.

An Explanation of My Twisted ViewPoint!!

I have no intention or expectation of converting anyone to my view of things, of course. That doesn't happen, anyway: People make up their own minds in their own way...But an explanation is warranted, I think, out of respect to those of you who do me the honor of reading these Works.

As I place a disproportionately enormous emphasis on Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed when evaluating Quarter Backs, so do I lend an extreme level of importance, when evaluating all Grizzlies, to Core Strength.

A Grizzly's inferior Core Strength can be exposed by any number of things: Displaying an insufficiently compact Coil...Bending at the Waist...Rising too high off the Snap...A tendency ~ even with a low initial stance ~ to get ridden back high...Inability to Mirror...and of course: Getting the stuffing beaten out of you on a regular basis!!

Outstanding Core Strength, on the other hand, takes years of dedication in the weight room, but goes a long way to establishing dominance In The Trenches!!

Peter Konz ~ 6.5/315 ~ 1st-2nd ~ 1st-2nd

9175430.jpg

Stud Horse!! Peter Konz commands superior Launch Velocity, exceptional Lateral Agility, and excellent Range...He also boasts commendable Core Strength and Fluidity, as well as impressive Torsion ~ that's FiendSpeak for the explosive quality of his Burst out of Angles!!

But I believe his height will be an hindrance at the next level, versus elite Defensive Tackles...As such, I would highly recommend a switch: I believe he could be a very good Center but, just perhaps, an exceptional O Guard. Fair Value!!

Ben Jones ~ 6.3/316 ~ 2nd-3rd ~ 1st

115540459.jpg

Beast!! Ben Jones brings superior Core Strength, excellent Torsion, and outstanding Launch Velocity to the table, and he also boasts intriguing Athleticism.

What impresses me most, however, is his extraordinary fusion of Intelligence and Passion: His Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed in Battle are impressive, as is the fact that he graduated high school early and started attending Georgia in January of 2008!!

To have that cerebral power housed in the same package as the guy who wins universal praise for his Toughness, his Tenacity, and his flat out Ferocity is very intriguing, indeed. And his tremendous Gym Rat Work Ethic showed in a clear improvement in his Core Strength as a Senior.

Jones is far from perfect, mind you: His Range is pretty good, but his Lateral Agility and Fluidity leave something to be desired. He can be beaten, out there.

Even so, this is not only a 4 Year Veteran, but a South East Conference battle-tested Leader who commands sufficient Athleticism, combined with an absolutely outstanding constellation of Intelligence, Passion, Strength, and relentless Ferocity and an utterly relentless Spirit, all combined inside a perfect frame for the position, to develop into an exceptional Center at the next level. Steal!!

Mike Brewster ~ 6.4/304 ~ 3rd-4th ~ 3rd-4th

285995449.jpg

Starter!! Mike Brewster is as solid as they come: He gets superior grades for Core Strength, Launch Velocity, Lateral Agility, Fluidity, and both Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed.

He's tough, he's resilient, and he's dependable. He is dominant in no aspect of the game, but neither does he have an Achilles Heel.

All in all, he projects as a solid starter for a decade or so: Not a difference maker, but a guy you can win with. Fair Value!!

Phil Blake ~ 6.2/320 ~ 4th-5th ~ UFA

CFS-JWS-1110040244.jpg

Reserve!! Phil Blake has the perfect build for the position, and brings a ton of beef to the table, but he lacks Core Strength, he lacks Lateral Agility, and his Processing Speed is insufficient, as well.

He does have some Fluidity and that great Frame, so I'd give him a prayer at the next level, but I'm calling him a Long Shot. OverRated!!

Quent SaulsBerry ~ 6.3/300 ~ 5th-6th ~ UFA

986255180.jpg

Fringe Reserve!! Quentin SaulsBerry brings a smattering of Athleticism to the table, but his Core Strength is awful and his Launch Velocity is worse. He's got a prayer, but he's probably going to get killed at the next level. OverRated!!

David Molk ~ 6.2/288 ~ 6th-7th ~ 7th

2600433.jpg

Reserve!! Dave Molk reminds me a lot of Florida State's Rodney Hudson, from last year's Draft Class: Phenomenal Athleticism, but simply too small to consistently stand up to Defensive Tackles at the next level.

I give him a chance to carve out a space as a Reserve in a Zone System, but that's about it!! Fair Value!!

David Snow ~ 6.4/303 ~ UFA ~ 2nd

David-Snow.jpg

Stud Horse!! David Snow is a mystery. He brings superior Core Strength + Launch Velocity to the table, his Diagnostic Acuity + Processing Speed are exceptional, his Fluidity + Lateral Agility are commendable, and his Work Ethic + Tenacity are outstanding...

Yet he seems to be flying ten MILES under the radar in UFA Land!!! And it's not like nobody's heard of Texas!!!

I see this guy as a Starter in the NFL, and I give him a very good chance at being an exceptional one. Super Sleeper!!

Firing TWO!! :D

Yeah, I like it better with pictures. :p

Ye definatly trade up to early 20s if Castro is there. Better O-line will give Brady more protection but also upgrading the run will open more lanes than any WR FA would do.

Not sure what it would cost to go up to say 20 though ? Dont wanna pay too much.

Ye definatly trade up to early 20s if Castro is there. Better O-line will give Brady more protection but also upgrading the run will open more lanes than any WR FA would do.

Not sure what it would cost to go up to say 20 though ? Dont wanna pay too much.

Hmmm...

Well, Book Value says it would take Pick #84, if we had it:

Book Value on #20 = 850 Points

Book Value on #27 = 680 Points
Book Value on #84 = 170 Points

Reality?? #95 ~ 120 Points ~ might actually be enough in the real world, but it would probably end up being a package deal: #31 + #63 for #20 + #150 or so...Something like that.

Personally, I wouldn't do it, what with this rich O Guard Class, but I can't say I wouldn't be ECSTATIC!! :D

He doesn't pick MY Picks, usually, anyway, so if we can get a guy I WORSHIP...:cool:

Funny thing is: Much as I love Mankins, I like him better as a Right Guard, and DeCastro was absolutely BORN to play Left Guard...Anybody have any opinions or information about the feasibility of moving Logan over??
39.gif

Funny thing is: Much as I love Mankins, I like him better as a Right Guard, and DeCastro was absolutely BORN to play Left Guard...Anybody have any opinions or information about the feasibility of moving Logan over??
39.gif

Given the way he's been playing and how much he's been getting paid I've been wondering about the feasibility of shipping him out of town. Everyone talks about how he played when he came back in the 2nd half of 2010 but I think they neglect to consider that he was as fresh as a daisy and playing against guys that had 1/2 a season of wear and tear.

I really hope we get some solid raw material that can be forged into starters, I'm tired of seeing Mankins get owned by the Giants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back