PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* 2012 Draft Offensive Line *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barring a Light/Waters retirement, I don't see us drafting any OLine. I think we're already ridiculously stacked. Now, IF we don't have faith in McDonald and view Connoly as depth, I could see us drafting a center. Or if Light/Waters retires, which I see as unlikely given the potential of this team, then maybe we add a guard.

Potential Starters:
T- Light
T- Vollmer
T- Solder
G- Waters
G- Mankins
G- Gallery
G/T- Cannon
G/C- Connoly
C- McDonald
Depth:
G/C- Wendall
G- Thomas

But I'm looking forward to reviewing your DL/OLB projections. I'm lucky to watch 3/4 nfl games a week. I know nothing about the college players.

That's the way I see it. Best unit on the team if they all come back. Of course my cousins call me Mister Magoo. QB's are pretty good too;) What's ideal about signing Gallery. When Light and Waters retire after this year. We have their replacements in house and ready to step in without missing a beat. Solder and Gallery(Provided we extend him).

With yesterday's revelation that Mankins played on a torn ACL that needed immed. post-SB surgery,
I wouldn't be surprised now to see C/G targeted earlier than we thought it might've been targeted
just a week ago.
Of course, Bill already knew about Mankins' knee; so the signing of Gallery becomes less of a surprise.
He's now an insurance policy for both LG & RG.
I wonder if any of this affects the possibility of Koppen re-signing here.

Last edited:
With yesterday's revelation that Mankins played on a torn ACL that needed immed. post-SB surgery,
I wouldn't be surprised now to see C/G targeted earlier than we thought it might've been targeted
just a week ago.
Of course, Bill already knew about Mankins' knee; so the signing of Gallery becomes less of a surprise.
He's now an insurance policy for both LG & RG.
I wonder if any of this affects the possibility of Koppen re-signing here.
An alternative would be to draft center Ben Jones from Georgia at #63 if the perceived fair value is there. By selecting Ben Jones at #63, the New England Patriots could have a starting center for ten years, barring injury of course.

NFL Draft - 2012 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Dan Connolly can backup both guard positions and center. Robert Gallery can possibly backup Mankins at left guard if he can stay healthy. I'm not sure of his status, Nick McDonald may still have practice squad eligibility.

Grid, are there any excellent blocking but horrible pass catching TEs that are almost too big to play TE that could be Maneri-like projects to groom as tackles?

I'm afraid not, my friend!! Not on my radar, anyway, and it seeks Tight Ends from afar...

I wonder about Robert Gallery...

5 Star Prospect coming out, of course. I wasn't watching Tape back in the day, but he CRUSHED the Lateral Agility + Fluidity drills ~ Short Shuttle + 3 Cone ~ and had an excellent Vertical, indicating superior Core Strength + Core Power.

Started at Right Tackle his first two years, did a solid job, moved to Left Tackle in his third and was just AWFUL.

Moved to Left Guard his 4th year, and excelled there for two years before injuries slowed him down.

His size and measurables SCREAM "Offensive Tackle".

Indeed, they scream "Do NOT put this man at O Guard!! He is WAY too tall."

And yet that is where he played best...so far.

But OakLand hasn't exactly been a bastion of good coaching and development, now, has it??

This Class is LOADED with exceptional and affordable O Guard talent.

And it is BARREN of exceptional and affordable O Tackle talent.

Gallery played well enough at Right Tackle, previously.

And he certainly started off with the raw Athleticism to play Left, and even excel at it.

I can't help but wonder if Coach Bill The Mad (Genius) intends to reacclimate the lad.

I wonder about Robert Gallery...

5 Star Prospect coming out, of course. I wasn't watching Tape back in the day, but he CRUSHED the Lateral Agility + Fluidity drills ~ Short Shuttle + 3 Cone ~ and had an excellent Vertical, indicating superior Core Strength + Core Power.

Started at Right Tackle his first two years, did a solid job, moved to Left Tackle in his third and was just AWFUL.

Moved to Left Guard his 4th year, and excelled there for two years before injuries slowed him down.

His size and measurables SCREAM "Offensive Tackle".

Indeed, they scream "Do NOT put this man at O Guard!! He is WAY too tall."

And yet that is where he played best...so far.

But OakLand hasn't exactly been a bastion of good coaching and development, now, has it??

This Class is LOADED with exceptional and affordable O Guard talent.

And it is BARREN of exceptional and affordable O Tackle talent.

Gallery played well enough at Right Tackle, previously.

And he certainly started off with the raw Athleticism to play Left, and even excel at it.

I can't help but wonder if Coach Bill The Mad (Genius) intends to reacclimate the lad.

The only thing I can think of to explain Gallery's struggles at OT is his short arms, which at 32 1/4 inches are very short for an OT. While it may explain some of his struggles, its not the only reason he was a bust at OT. I think the fact he was drafted by the Raiders might have had something to do with it as well.

The only thing I can think of to explain Gallery's struggles at OT is his short arms, which at 32 1/4 inches are very short for an OT. While it may explain some of his struggles, its not the only reason he was a bust at OT. I think the fact he was drafted by the Raiders might have had something to do with it as well.

Joe Thomas, Michael Roos, and Jake Long have similar length arms, I doubt that's it. It's too bad they dont have highlight footage of NFL O-linemen, Gallery seems like a very interesting case to diagnose.

An alternative would be to draft center Ben Jones from Georgia at #63 if the perceived fair value is there. By selecting Ben Jones at #63, the New England Patriots could have a starting center for ten years, barring injury of course.

NFL Draft - 2012 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Dan Connolly can backup both guard positions and center. Robert Gallery can possibly backup Mankins at left guard if he can stay healthy. I'm not sure of his status, Nick McDonald may still have practice squad eligibility.

If our needs at FS, DE & OLB are filled w/ our first 3 picks, then I would have no problem
using 63 on Jones. Failing that, I would seriously consider Phil Blake in the 3rd round.

Can't we just use Gallery for that blocking TE role?

I believe T of G is a need that's been ignored.

With Light all but retired - we have Solder and Vollmer. But Vollmer has been a physical mess lately. Maybe that's why BB let drop that he sees Cannon as a T going forward? But if Cannon has to play T to cover Vollmer, who is at G?

Mankins will miss games, and we don't know if Waters is coming back. Not good.

All along we've known we need a Center. Koppen is small and sustained a serious injury for a C, he's not coming back. O'Connell is a good flexible sub, not an elite or even top 10 center.

So given where are today, the draft looks like:

2 CB (or a CB/FS tweener and a CB) we won't draft Barron he's going to high. We have enough SS types IMO. We need that FS/tall CB type. Like a Sean Smith or at least a healthy Dowling type.

1-2 OL (a Center and a T (higher pick likely) - or a G (a bit lower) - or BB could trust to a camp cut for one of these guys. If just one (a Center - like Jones), then a NT or 4-3 DT that can play 3-4 DE could be drafted (would I kill for Poe, and move Wilfork to DE).

1-2 3-4 OLB - or one and a 3-4 DE

Last edited:
Centers ~ My Short List!!

As I place a disproportionately enormous emphasis on Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed when evaluating Quarter Backs, so do I lend an extreme level of importance, when evaluating all Grizzlies, to Core Strength and Fluidity.

A Grizzly's inferior Core Strength can be exposed by any number of things: Displaying an insufficiently compact Coil...Bending at the Waist...Rising too high off the Snap...A tendency ~ even with a low initial stance ~ to get ridden back high...Inability to Mirror...and of course: Getting the stuffing beaten out of you on a regular basis!!

Outstanding Core Strength, on the other hand, takes years of dedication in the weight room, but goes a long way to establishing dominance In The Trenches!!

Ben Jones ~ 6.3/316 ~ 2nd-3rd ~ 1st

115540459.jpg

Beast!! Ben Jones brings superior Core Strength, excellent Torsion, and outstanding Launch Velocity to the table, and he also boasts intriguing Athleticism.

What impresses me most, however, is his extraordinary fusion of Intelligence and Passion: His Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed in Battle are impressive, as is the fact that he graduated high school early and started attending Georgia in January of 2008!!

To have that cerebral power housed in the same package as the guy who wins universal praise for his Toughness, his Tenacity, and his flat out Ferocity is very intriguing, indeed. And his tremendous Gym Rat Work Ethic showed in a clear improvement in his Core Strength as a Senior.

Jones is far from perfect, mind you: His Range is pretty good, but his Lateral Agility and Fluidity leave something to be desired. He can be beaten, out there.

Even so, this is not only a 4 Year Veteran, but a South East Conference battle-tested Leader who commands sufficient Athleticism, combined with an absolutely outstanding constellation of Intelligence, Passion, Strength, and relentless Ferocity and an utterly relentless Spirit, all combined inside a perfect frame for the position, to develop into an exceptional Center at the next level. Steal!!

David Snow ~ 6.4/303 ~ UFA ~ 2nd

David-Snow.jpg

Stud Horse!! David Snow is a mystery. He brings superior Core Strength + Launch Velocity to the table, his Diagnostic Acuity + Processing Speed are exceptional, his Fluidity + Lateral Agility are commendable, and his Work Ethic + Tenacity are outstanding...

Yet he seems to be flying ten MILES under the radar in UFA Land!!! And it's not like nobody's heard of Texas!!!

I see this guy as a Starter in the NFL, and I give him a very good chance at being an exceptional one. Super Sleeper!!

Notes

1 ~ My wishes are obvious, I'm sure: I would draft Ben Jones and scoop up David Snow as a UFA.

2 ~ Jones might be able to take over as early as Opening Day, under Dante The Great, and in any case should be rocking and rolling by December. He could be the best Center we've ever had.

3 ~ I'd keep Connolly around as invaluable Depth and as a Mentor.

4 ~ Snow would be a tough call. If everybody stays healthy and develops as I expect them to in Camp, we might have to give this kid a strong case of The FoxBorough Flu. ;)

Offensive Guards ~ My Short List!!

As I place a disproportionately enormous emphasis on Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed when evaluating Quarter Backs, so do I lend an extreme level of importance, when evaluating all Grizzlies, to Core Strength and Fluidity.

A Grizzly's inferior Core Strength can be exposed by any number of things: Displaying an insufficiently compact Coil...Bending at the Waist...Rising too high off the Snap...A tendency ~ even with a low initial stance ~ to get ridden back high...Inability to Mirror...and of course: Getting the stuffing beaten out of you on a regular basis!!

Outstanding Core Strength, on the other hand, takes years of dedication in the weight room, but goes a long way to establishing dominance In The Trenches!!

David DeCastro ~ 6.5/312 ~ 1st ~ 1st

552248554.jpg

SuperBeast!! David DeCastro commands a breathtaking constellation of attributes: Outstanding Launch Velocity, exceptional Core Strength, amazing Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed, remarkable Torsion when he redirects, tremendous Fluidity, Lateral Agility, and Range...and inspiring Ferocity.

Hell, even his Mechanics are highly refined.

He has no weak points: Only varying degrees of strength.

O Guard is one of the most vital positions on the field, yet one of the most egregiously under rated: He ought to go Top 5, easily, and we know that ain't happening!! Steal!!

Amini Silatolu ~ 6.3/320 ~ 2nd-3rd ~ 1st

398263280.JPG

Beast!! Amini Silatolu comes from a small School, and struggles with the raw Mechanics, as one would expect of him, particularly as he'll be kicking inside from O Tackle.

But his aggregate Skill Set is intensely intriguing: excellent Core Strength meets a truly intoxicating fusion of Fluidity, Lateral Agility, and Range.

There is true All Pro Potential, here. Sleeper!!

Senio Kelemete ~ 6.4/300 ~ 3rd ~ 1st

486234219.jpg

Beast!! Senio Kelemete's resume is either sketchy or intensely intriguing, depending on how you look at it: As a Freshman in 2008, he played in 8 games and started in 4...as a Defensive Tackle!!

In 2009, he switched to O Guard and won the starting gig, there...only to be asked to switch to O Tackle in 2010!! And of course he projects best to swing back to O Guard in the Majors...So his Mechanics are certainly a bit raw.

But his Cross Training is invaluable...And so is his proven ability to pick up a new position ~ or a big jump in competition ~ quickly enough to start ~ and for a major team...and no less than 3 years in a row!!

But what's really impressive about this young man is his truly amazing constellation of skills: Outstanding Core Strength, exceptional Launch Velocity, impressive Torsion when he changes directions, and tremendous Athleticism: Beautifull Fluidity, excellent Lateral Agility, and extraordinary Range.

Just an astounding aggregation of Skills, all under the command of a Scrapper with an astonishing Work Ethic and insatiable Passion for this great Game!! There is undeniable Pro Bowl potential, here!! Super Sleeper!!

Kelvin Beachum ~ 6.3/306 ~ UFA ~ 2nd-3rd

895723129.jpg

Starter!! Kelvin Beachum brings a startling blend of superior Core Strength, outstanding Launch Velocity, and tremendous Athleticism and Dexterity to the table!!

As an O Tackle Convertible, he'll need time to learn, but the Skill Set is definitely there to win a starting gig and perhaps even play at an high level in the NFL. Super Sleeper!!

Wayne Tribue ~ 6.3/324 ~ UFA ~ 2nd-3rd

323545348.jpg

Starter!! Wayne Tribue commands exceptional Core Strength, superior Launch Velocity, and extraordinary Lateral Agility!!

Furthermore, he navigates well in on the move, boasting tremendous Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed as he seeks out targets. Super Sleeper!!

Notes

1 ~ David DeCastro is just an exquisite O Guard Prospect, but I wouldn't want to break the bank to go get'm, not when there's so much Depth of Talent behind him.

2 ~ Amini Silatolu is a long-time favorite of mine, and, as feared and expected, his Market Value is approaching the point where I might pass on'm...But he's been in my Mocks from Day 1. I see him as an exceptional Right Guard Prospect, with multiple Pro Bowl potential.

3 ~ Senio Kelemete has been with me as long as Silatolu, and I'm happy to see that he is relatively Under the Radar, even now. He, too, I see as having multiple Pro Bowl potential. His best position, in my view, would be at Left Guard, and I would love to see him eventually bounce Logan Mankins over to Right Guard, which I consider Logan's more natural position.

4 ~ I consider Kelvin Beachum and Wayne Tribue definite Starting Stock, and would love to snatch either or both of them for Camp, and see what happens. If everyone stays healthy and develops as expected, then we'd have the enviable luxury of trying to figure out what the hell to do with them. Considering that Beachum is a borderline Day 3/UFA Prospect and that Tribue is clearly UFA at this point, it would be an inexpensive luxury to acquire, and approximately 8 Million times better than not snagging them, and then finding ourselves short, when a nasty injury or two hits us in Camp.

5 ~ I should note that I have been a big fan of Brandon Brooks from Day 1, when he was in UFA Land, in the Autumn, and am particularly impressed with him at this point, in wake of his astonishing Pro Day. But from a philosophical viewpoint, I don't want Linemen of his size, for the simple reason that I want Grizzlies who can fly around the field all day long, and even with his raw athleticism ~ which I have faith Dante the Great could convert into functional athleticism ~ I have grave doubts as to his ability to stay health for the long haul. Ditto, Marcus Cannon, who I would ultimately like to move for a Late Rounder at the end of Camp, when another team gets hit with a shortage.

Offensive Tackles ~ My Short List!!

As I place a disproportionately enormous emphasis on Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed when evaluating Quarter Backs, so do I lend an extreme level of importance, when evaluating Offensive Tackles, to Core Strength and Fluidity, and to Lateral Agility.

Matt McCants ~ 6.6/308 ~ 3rd ~ 1st

284157431.jpg

Beast!! Matt McCants commands exhilarating Athleticism: His Lateral Agility, Fluidity, and Range are outstanding.

His Core Strength needs a lot of work, but the impressive Core Flexibility and the big, broad frame are there.

We're talking about Pro Bowl potential, here. He's a bit raw, coming from a small School, but his upside is immense, and his 3rd Round Market Value is startling, considering this weak, wasted, wafer-thin O Tackle Market. Hah!! Sleeper!!

Notes

1 ~ As you can see, I have a very low opinion of this year's O Tackle Class.

2 ~ Matt McCants is, indeed, the only O Tackle who's Market Value I like. I would love to bring him in as a developmental Reserve, because with Dante The Great teaching him, I think he has legitimate All Pro potential.

3 ~ I was ecstatic that we stole Robert Gallery from the scrap heap. Before the debacle of being drafted by the Raiders, Gallery showed potential to be a legendary O Tackle, and, just as importantly, the Character to make the most of his tantalizing skills. With Dante the Great to retrain him on the job, I believe that Gallery can and should leave his O Guard days in the rear view mirror. I believe he could become not only a phenomenal Reserve, but an outstanding Starter, and perhaps even reacquire the Pro Bowl future he once commanded.

Reading your first line as "Tackle to Guard", I agree.
Don't see the need at C, we have Connolly, Wendel and MacDonald.
Heard a rumor the Pat's feel like they stole a good player from the Packers in MacDonald.

If we can get a good player for Tackle / Guard, that would be good.

I'm not sure what to think of Cannon, he sems to have quick feet, but doesn't appear to maintain good position.

All we need is another Matt Light;)
after we have selected a several defensive players.

I believe T of G is a need that's been ignored.

With Light all but retired - we have Solder and Vollmer. But Vollmer has been a physical mess lately. Maybe that's why BB let drop that he sees Cannon as a T going forward? But if Cannon has to play T to cover Vollmer, who is at G?

Mankins will miss games, and we don't know if Waters is coming back. Not good.

All along we've known we need a Center. Koppen is small and sustained a serious injury for a C, he's not coming back. O'Connell is a good flexible sub, not an elite or even top 10 center.

So given where are today, the draft looks like:

2 CB (or a CB/FS tweener and a CB) we won't draft Barron he's going to high. We have enough SS types IMO. We need that FS/tall CB type. Like a Sean Smith or at least a healthy Dowling type.

1-2 OL (a Center and a T (higher pick likely) - or a G (a bit lower) - or BB could trust to a camp cut for one of these guys. If just one (a Center - like Jones), then a NT or 4-3 DT that can play 3-4 DE could be drafted (would I kill for Poe, and move Wilfork to DE).

1-2 3-4 OLB - or one and a 3-4 DE

Reading your first line as "Tackle to Guard", I agree.
Don't see the need at C, we have Connolly, Wendel and MacDonald.
Heard a rumor the Pat's feel like they stole a good player from the Packers in MacDonald.

If we can get a good player for Tackle / Guard, that would be good.

I'm not sure what to think of Cannon, he sems to have quick feet, but doesn't appear to maintain good position.

All we need is another Matt Light;)
after we have selected a several defensive players.

Connolly graded out as one of the worst Centers in the league last year. Wendell is brutal. I do not know much about MacDonald, but I hope you are right. The only Center that seems to offer value and ability to play right away is Ben Jones. Not sure he's worth it. May have to live with what we have.

Sure thing on Light, but he was a 1st rounder. The only guards we can afford that I am sure can play as rookies are in the 1st (Glenn) or 2nd-3rd (Brooks), and perhaps Osemele (another 2nd).

At long last, I'm finally able to catch up with some of the great Posts, hereabouts...

Here's Brother Maine's assessment of Center, from February 17th: A really substantial BreakDown on Dan Koppen and Dan Connolly that you can sink your teeth into.

Rather'n "Quote Format" it, I'll put it traditional quotes, so anyone who wishes to can C+P and comment...

Maine Man on Koppen + Conolly ~ February 17th

"Koppen has been the starting "field coordinator" on one of the most consistently fine offensive lines in the NFL for a few years. He's been an above average pass-blocker and a very good run-blocker (his early-season loss held BGE back a bit). His cap hit with the Pats for 2011 (including pro-rated signing bonus) was close to $4.5M. Even at age 33 coming off a broken ankle, there's a decent chance that some team will offer him something in that $4.5M/yr neighborhood. It may or may not be discounted slightly because of the injury, but he has no significant injury history other than that - no back problems AFAIK - and a break is probably viewed as easier to recover from than a high-sprain.

Connolly has proven that he's a very capable starting guard AND center, again, on one of the best OL in the league. He's been very solid in run-blocking at guard and pretty stout in pass-pro at both guard and center. His run-blocking from the center spot wasn't quite up to Koppen's level when he first took over, but improved significantly as the season wore on and as he worked through his own injuries. An offer from another team in that same $4.5M/yr range, or even substantially higher, would not be surprising to me at all.

I'd guess the Pats would keep one, but not both, given their free agent market value, and the younger, more versatile Connolly would seem the better choice. But neither seems likely to stick around for a mere $1.5M. Indeed, both are legitimately worth considerably more. Losing both would leave Brady and the offense dependent on Wendell, McDonald (possibly Donald Thomas, if he can snap) and, potentially, a rookie draftee at the keystone OL position. Seems doubtful at this point - especially with Brian Waters' intentions unresolved - that the Pats would let Connolly walk."

Maine Man on Koppen + Conolly ~ February 17th

"Koppen has been the starting "field coordinator" on one of the most consistently fine offensive lines in the NFL for a few years. He's been an above average pass-blocker and a very good run-blocker (his early-season loss held BGE back a bit). His cap hit with the Pats for 2011 (including pro-rated signing bonus) was close to $4.5M. Even at age 33 coming off a broken ankle, there's a decent chance that some team will offer him something in that $4.5M/yr neighborhood. It may or may not be discounted slightly because of the injury, but he has no significant injury history other than that - no back problems AFAIK - and a break is probably viewed as easier to recover from than a high-sprain.

Connolly has proven that he's a very capable starting guard AND center, again, on one of the best OL in the league. He's been very solid in run-blocking at guard and pretty stout in pass-pro at both guard and center. His run-blocking from the center spot wasn't quite up to Koppen's level when he first took over, but improved significantly as the season wore on and as he worked through his own injuries. An offer from another team in that same $4.5M/yr range, or even substantially higher, would not be surprising to me at all.

I'd guess the Pats would keep one, but not both, given their free agent market value, and the younger, more versatile Connolly would seem the better choice. But neither seems likely to stick around for a mere $1.5M. Indeed, both are legitimately worth considerably more. Losing both would leave Brady and the offense dependent on Wendell, McDonald (possibly Donald Thomas, if he can snap) and, potentially, a rookie draftee at the keystone OL position. Seems doubtful at this point - especially with Brian Waters' intentions unresolved - that the Pats would let Connolly walk."

Terrific assessment, and I'm sure it's clear why I quote it now, 6 weeks later: Dan Connolly is our current leading Center, going into the Draft ~ as well as being a very real candidate to swing back to O Guard, should circumstances warrant it ~ and that was as good a Scouting Report on him as I've read anywhere.

I consider Center the #3 most important position on the entire field.

As I am fond of saying ~ and just discussed with my fellow "InSide Out" Disciple ~ Brother Mayo ~ who coined the "InSide Out" term, by the way:

"I tend to place importance ~ and emphasis ~ on a given position in direct proportion to its general proximity to the FootBall...at the time it is snapped."

The effectiveness of the entire Offense ripples from the dominance ~ or the weakness ~ of the QuarterBack...and the Center.

As such, I don't think it's possible to overrate the Priority that we place on Center in our Team Building Process.

...or on O Guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back