PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2008 Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great point about the #10 slot in particular. Okoye's contract was significantly lower than the players above and below him, making for a very attractive starting spot for negotiations.

Man am I excited. Thomas, Vrabel, Bruschi, Hobson, Mayo is a terrific 5-man rotation. Of course, I wouldn't sniff at a 6-man rotation with Quentin Groves, either!

A six man rotation is ideal, in my opinion... and if that sixth man is Groves I think I'd shed tears of joy. Wondrous joy.

youtube has some good vid on jerod mayo check em out, i cant post links...

A six man rotation is ideal, in my opinion... and if that sixth man is Groves I think I'd shed tears of joy. Wondrous joy.

Our team defensive speed would be tremendously upgraded. Both Mayo and Groves are linebackers with 4.5 speed, which is ridiculous compared to the plodders we had there before.

Hmm Albert finally goes to the Chiefs at 15. But looks like the Lions moved out of round 1 entirely?

I'd say Arizona takes Mendenhall then. This is like a gifthorse, you don't look it in the mouth, you just take him!

Last edited:
The KC trade to get Albert makes the Pats trade with New Orleans look bad.

The KC trade to get Albert makes the Pats trade with New Orleans look bad.

why is that....how much did KC give to the lions?

remember, we went from 7 to 10, they go from 15 to 17...so its one less spot

Houston up next... how far will Mendenhall drop, or will the Texans take him here?

imagine if we can use our 2nd or a combo of our 3rd rounders to get Lito Sheppard and still be able to pickup another good player

Trade 62 to Philly for Sheppard, move up with the 3s and get another LB or CB

Gosder Cherilus to the Lions. Wow, they're not as stupid as I thought. They needed to improve their OL badly.

Well, the Lions make the 1st true REACH of the draft by taking Cherilus.

Ravens move up. Gotta believe they are getting their QB here.

Now we want to see as many corners stay on the board as possible.
Hopefully a Lee or Porter or Godfrey.

I assume Jenkins, Cason, and Talib are all off.

Go figure that the Lions would reach. I had them doing something totally crazy (picking Henne).

How do you figure? All they did was swap thirds and deal a 5th.

That isn't what was announced. They didn't announce the swap of 3rds, but checking again, that is what happened.

Last edited:

I forsee the Pats waiting until the 3rd round to get their corners, honestly. I see them trying to move up in the second for the OLB that they need.

I forsee the Pats waiting until the 3rd round to get their corners, honestly. I see them trying to move up in the second for the OLB that they need.

I could live with Groves or Avril in round 2, if that is their plan.

THere is a huge problem with the numbers you are tossing around regarding Peterson's contract. Those numbers were the TOTAL VALUE IF Peterson hit every single one of his incentives. And considering that a $1 mill escalator (4 mill over the life of the contract) came if he rushed for over 2000 yards as a rookie and another $1 mill (4 mill over the life of the contract) came from him scoring 20 TDs as a rookie the total value of his contract dropped from $40 million to $32 million.

Your numbers regarding the 2000 yards and/or 20 TDs are wrong, Bruinz. While it is unlikely (highly for 2000 yards) that he will accomplish both of those feats once, let alone consecutively and concurrently, neither one was determinant on him doing either in his rookie season. Between 2008 and 2010 he has the opportunity to add that six million dollars if he goes for 2000/20 each season. From everything I've seen (which I am capable of admitting may not be enough), Peterson is still capable of making the $39.6 million or so the five year deal was worth after the voidable sixth year.

Even with your area of contention, a $32 million contract is far more palatable than a $15.4 million deal (that's without subtracting or determining what incentives are likely to be earned). Peterson is guaranteed more ($17 million) than Okoye is even capable of making.

I hope Cason is the Pats main target, followed by Wheatley, maybe Flowers, and Jack Williams later on.

At tweener, look for Avril, Robertson, Crable. All are flawed, but have some positives to consider.

Damn good point. If the Pats can get that together, this would be such an impactful draft.

2 #1s, a 2nd and a 4th for the true bust of the draft, Jeff Otah.

I'm speechless.

Carolina might as well move their team to Saskatoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back