PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2008 Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great speed at ILB.
They probably could have moved down again a bit and grabbed him.
But he is an enormous improvement at their biggest hole.

Given the roster right now, you can pencil him in as a starter.

Vrabel-Bruschi-Mayo-Thomas

If they get Seau, great.
Hobson off the bench. He might start the first game or two, but Mayo should be in there pretty soon.

Good, good stuff. The top ILB in the draft, and 4 picks in the next 2 rounds to maneuver for whatever ails ya.

Ahhhhhhh. :)

OMG time to get all my Mayo puns ready to go...

Mayo or Maynot, there is no TRY!

Let's hope Mayo is the next Patrick Willis... !!!!
Nope, let's hope he's better. :D

Great speed at ILB.
They probably could have moved down again a bit and grabbed him.

Given the roster right now, you can pencil him in as a starter.

Vrabel-Bruschi-Mayo-Thomas

If they get Seau, great.
Hobson off the bench. He might start the first game or two, but Mayo should be in there pretty soon.
I'm glad they didn't move back, Buffalo had OLB as a need and Mayo would have fit that bill (pun semi-intended).

I can't remember being really happy with a top pick in a little while.

Meriweather didn't thrill me, with Beason there.
Maroney left me lukewarm, with Manny Lawson right there.
Mankins was a real surprise, although he was obviously the right pick.
Watson was a surprise.

This guy could be a terrific fit, and a quick contributor.

I'm really excited about this so far. The trade down from 7 to 10 is great because of the 78th from the Saints, Mayo should be a really good player, they've still got him for what would seem to be six years, and Amobi Okoye (last year's tenth overall selection) signed a contract for six years and $15.4 million or nearly $25 million less than what Peterson signed for. That is huge.

I'm leaning towards Ray Rice in the second...

Let's hold the Mayo jokes.

LOL, yours was almost as bad as mine!

Anyways let's see, the Pats have the ammunition to move up in round 2.
Can we say Antoine Cason or Quentin Groves?

OMG, how sick would it be if we got both Mayo and Groves out of this draft? That's why it's not gonna happen.. but still, INSTANT YOUTH at LB!

So what ever happened to the "Branden Albert isn't really a guard, he's a top-10 left tackle" crowd? ;)

LOL, yours was almost as bad as mine!

Anyways let's see, the Pats have the ammunition to move up in round 2.
Can we say Antoine Cason or Quentin Groves?

OMG, how sick would it be if we got both Mayo and Groves out of this draft? That's why it's not gonna happen.. but still, INSTANT YOUTH at LB!

I would um.. do a cartwheel.. if I was physically capable of doing a cartwheel without busting my butt.

So what ever happened to the "Branden Albert isn't really a guard, he's a top-10 left tackle" crowd? ;)

They are licking their wounds? To be honest I didn't see Mayo going to the Pats at 10. I thought he was more of a 15-20 range guy. But maybe BB was tipped off that the Bills might take him? At least my McKelvin to the Bills prediction was on target.

Now you take a #2 and a #4 and dangle it in front of Parcells and get Jason Taylor

then you put together a LB corps of:

Jason Taylor ROLB
Jerrod Mayo ILB
Adalius Thomas ILB
Mike Vrabel OLB

ridiculous.

And with the Mayo pick dies the idea that BB doesn't select LBs early in the draft.

I am surprised that they didn't trade down again, but they probably couldn't find a partner for the 2nd trade down.

I really like the Mayo pick. He gives the Pats an instant boost inside even if he comes off the bench at times.

So, when do you guys think Cromartie will go? Behind Gholston, he was my favorite for the pats.

Correct......and we have an additional #3 to go along with him.

Saves 20 MM as well.

The Lions can't go wrong with Albert here. Even if he doesn't pull off a transition to LT, he's a sure bet to provide a ton of help anywhere on that offensive line.

I'm really excited about this so far. The trade down from 7 to 10 is great because of the 78th from the Saints, Mayo should be a really good player, they've still got him for what would seem to be six years, and Amobi Okoye (last year's tenth overall selection) signed a contract for six years and $15.4 million or nearly $25 million less than what Peterson signed for. That is huge.

Great point about the #10 slot in particular. Okoye's contract was significantly lower than the players above and below him, making for a very attractive starting spot for negotiations.

Man am I excited. Thomas, Vrabel, Bruschi, Hobson, Mayo is a terrific 5-man rotation. Of course, I wouldn't sniff at a 6-man rotation with Quentin Groves, either!

Prediction: The Pats will trade up to one of the Falcon's 2nd round pick for their 2nd and a 3rd. They then select either Cason or Groves. :)

THere is a huge problem with the numbers you are tossing around regarding Peterson's contract. Those numbers were the TOTAL VALUE IF Peterson hit every single one of his incentives. And considering that a $1 mill escalator (4 mill over the life of the contract) came if he rushed for over 2000 yards as a rookie and another $1 mill (4 mill over the life of the contract) came from him scoring 20 TDs as a rookie the total value of his contract dropped from $40 million to $32 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back