PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

145 days later...I re-watched SB 52

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe i’m being too critical, but there were too many big plays by atlanta’s offense to my liking.
So it’s 85 Bears vs 96 jets or you suck?

But, the great man was too little to handle it right. In a pique of anger and vindictiveness, he benched a season long starter who he never liked very much without adequate replacement. This action cost his players and staff a Super Bowl championship they deserved. It will in short time cost him a good deal of his reputation and legacy and his job as HC of the NEP. If Bob Kraft can put all these pieces back together, he should be awarded a Nobel Peace Prize.

He can’t. Belichick will be shown the door and all his worshippers will come out to complain. Brady will be blamed. How dare he want to keep his job when he’s still playing as well as ever, they’ll say. They’ll blame Giselle and Alex and probably Mr. and Mrs. Brady too. They’ll blame the Krafts for forcing out their football god. They’ll threaten to leave and some will as they’re more Belichick fan than Patriots fan. The only one to blame is the coach who threw a still good thing away for the sake of foolish pride.

o_O

Last edited:
Nothing is worth listening to 4 hours of Chris Collingsworth again.
images

FWIW, I''ll have no problem watching SB52... won't seek it out, but I'm sure it'll find me one day as I scan past the NFL Network.

Hurts way less than either of the Giants games, which I only watched for the first time again last year.

Yep, there was bad defense, but some great offense, and our boys never gave up, despite the Butler mini-drama.

The Eagles just played well, they were well-coached, and they too never gave up.

Hurts to lose, always... but honestly, I thought it was entertaining as hell...

...and Brady's comment was spot on: the Pats just never really had control of that game.

FWIW, I''ll have no problem watching SB52... won't seek it out, but I'm sure it'll find me one day as I scan past the NFL Network.

Hurts way less than either of the Giants games, which I only watched for the first time again last year.

Yep, there was bad defense, but some great offense, and our boys never gave up, despite the Butler mini-drama.

The Eagles just played well, they were well-coached, and they too never gave up.

Hurts to lose, always... but honestly, I thought it was entertaining as hell...

...and Brady's comment was spot on: the Pats just never really had control of that game.
Sometimes you lose. People who sit and watch and whine about not getting the win they are entitled to crack me up.

But more power to you for staring into the abyss.

Remember what Nietsche said about staring into the abyss?
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee."
In this case it's fair to wonder if it's already happened.

Remember what Nietzsche said about staring into the abyss?
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee."
In this case it's fair to wonder if it's already happened.

Did Nietzsche have a TV show?

;)

But, the great man was too little to handle it right. In a pique of anger and vindictiveness, he benched a season long starter who he never liked very much without adequate replacement. This action cost his players and staff a Super Bowl championship they deserved. It will in short time cost him a good deal of his reputation and legacy and his job as HC of the NEP. If Bob Kraft can put all these pieces back together, he should be awarded a Nobel Peace Prize.

He can’t. Belichick will be shown the door and all his worshippers will come out to complain. Brady will be blamed. How dare he want to keep his job when he’s still playing as well as ever, they’ll say. They’ll blame Giselle and Alex and probably Mr. and Mrs. Brady too. They’ll blame the Krafts for forcing out their football god. They’ll threaten to leave and some will as they’re more Belichick fan than Patriots fan. The only one to blame is the coach who threw a still good thing away for the sake of foolish pride.

To summarize these last 2 paragraphs:
Bellichik is a vindictive and petty man that threw the Super Bowl (they deserved) and will be fired.

I would call that an agenda.

I will take your word on no one being in the camera frame with Belichick before the Butler interception. I did not rewatch SB 49 rather just the Sound FX of the game. But, just because you remember or found one particular moment where Belichick is alone in the picture and want to compare it to a whole game with minimal interaction is an absurd comparison.

Why would I hate Bill Belichick? This is where you’d accuse me of being a Jets fan or some other monstrosity. You probably would not be impressed by the longevity of my fandom, so I’ll express my Pats fan credentials this way. I’ve been to 4 of the Patriots last 5 home playoff games screaming my lungs out after traveling all day to get there in seats that I paid vastly too much for because I wanted to be there.

What's truly absurd are your superficial base assumptions, which is surprising to me given the overall depth of your game analysis. The 'particular moment' I chose was quite deliberate. In a moment when all about him others on both sidelines were losing their minds Belichick (in his isolation) was using his. Using Sound FX as a form of game analysis is inherently flawed in and of itself.

As for what you believe I would accuse you of being or how I would evaluate your level of 'fandom' perhaps it's unfortunate you didn't give me the benefit of a doubt that I afford others as a matter of course before you pass judgement on my thought processes. Better to allow me to illustrate any incompetence or ill conceived notions before you assume them. I'm no AJ style BB fanboy, just a realist. BTW, were I choosing to dissect Belichick's failings I would probably have gone with XLII as my baseline and stayed away from the psychoanalysis.

Last edited:
It’s not always about the points. It’s also about yards allowed and getting off the field on third downs. I mean do you really think a defense (in general) that gives up 99 yards on a drive that results in a field goal did its job?

It’s about points but when we gave up yards and tds in that superbowl then it’s hard to win. It’s one of the few times that has happened to us and we still almost won but if we just gave up fgs then it’s a different game. B.B. has always said it’s about points and for the vast majority of his career he has been right. The thing with his philosophy is he relies on the other team making a mistake on those long drives but it’s hard to do When those drives are fast scoring.

It’s not always about the points. It’s also about yards allowed and getting off the field on third downs. I mean do you really think a defense (in general) that gives up 99 yards on a drive that results in a field goal did its job?
The problem what game wasn’t our defense. Are offense couldn’t score and was getting off the field fast and they had a pick six. If I told anyone going into the game that the Pats defense holds the Falcons to 21 points and gets a crucial strip sack, we’d all have considered it a huge win.

We also significantly won time of possession. The Falcons scores lightning fast 3 times and then were pushed off the field very fast the bulk of the game. The offense wasn’t capitalizing.

Maybe i’m being too critical, but there were too many big plays by atlanta’s offense to my liking.
You are being way too critical. Atlanta was a historically great offense that year. They were going to get a few big plays. We held them to a reasonable amount of points for how good they were, dominated TOP despite an ineffective offense for 3 quarters, and got a key turnover and another key sack that kept points off the board, in addition to dominating them on 3rd and 4th down. Beyond that 7 of the 21 points the defense let up was after a fumble by the offense.

We don’t win that game without that defensive performance. Basically our defense weathered a storm and held them off and made the plays they needed to until our offense finally started tiring out the Falcons man coverage and we could make a comeback.

Sometimes you lose. People who sit and watch and whine about not getting the win they are entitled to crack me up.

Yep. It certainly hurt when we lost the Super Bowl but in the big picture, how can we complain with a straight face? What fan base do we go to for understanding and comfort?

The "Belichick cost us our 6th ring" mentality infuriates me. He helped us win 5!!! Hell, winning just one was nothing but blind hope for the longest time. He hasn't owed me anything for 16 years now.

Yep. It certainly hurt when we lost the Super Bowl but in the big picture, how can we complain with a straight face? What fan base do we go to for understanding and comfort?

The "Belichick cost us our 6th ring" mentality infuriates me. He helped us win 5!!! Hell, winning just one was nothing but blind hope for the longest time. He hasn't owed me anything for 16 years now.

Exactly....and we were also 3 plays tops from another 3 Lombardis..and one undefeated season....

Can't complain!

==========================================

BTW, I will be re-watching SB52 in a few weeks. I am currently re-watching the entire 2017 season...now I am on the Denver/Oakland road trip games....

Many things I didn't notice during the season....hard to notice little things when you are living play-by-play without rewinding/re-playing in slo motion....

But it’s not just that. There are more layers.
Belichick threw the game.
The reason is that despite Belichick telling John lynch there is no way in hell he is trading the best QB in the NFL what he really wanted to do was trade the best QB in the NFL and then he wouldn’t have even gotten to the Sb so why not throw it? After all we ar supposed to believe Belichick is such a moron that he wanted to trade the goat and Kraft had to stop him. Despite proof that’s not what happened.
So it logically follows that Belichick didn’t want to go to any more SBs he wanted to lose with jimmy instead so he showed everyone and stopped Brady from winning.
Yes there are human beings who believe that, which is why we have this abomination of a thread.

If I told anyone going into the game that the Pats defense holds the Falcons to 21 points and gets a crucial strip sack, we’d all have considered it a huge win.
I wonder what we’d all have thought knowing that the Pats would put up over 600+ yards of offense, score 33 points, and never have to punt against Philly?

Looks like a 20 point cakewalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back