PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

145 days later...I re-watched SB 52

Status
Not open for further replies.
His philosophy has certainly been represented in plenty :rolleyes:

spaceseed.jpg
...We know it was some time in the late 1990's, but-

"I know something of those years, remember! It was a time of great hopes, great aspirations..."

upload_2018-7-2_17-17-31.jpegupload_2018-7-2_17-17-44.jpegupload_2018-7-2_17-18-1.jpegupload_2018-7-2_17-18-24.jpegupload_2018-7-2_17-19-1.jpeg-marked by several mundane, nondescript seasons-

"-ONE MAN would have ruled, eventually. Just as Rome had its Caesar...Think of its accomplishments!"

I wonder what we’d all have thought knowing that the Pats would put up over 600+ yards of offense, score 33 points, and never have to punt against Philly?

Looks like a 20 point cakewalk.
Training camp starts THIS MONTH.

We have an historic, title-winning season to embark upon.

FOCUS! LET'S GO!!

But it’s not just that. There are more layers.
Belichick threw the game.
The reason is that despite Belichick telling John lynch there is no way in hell he is trading the best QB in the NFL what he really wanted to do was trade the best QB in the NFL and then he wouldn’t have even gotten to the Sb so why not throw it? After all we ar supposed to believe Belichick is such a moron that he wanted to trade the goat and Kraft had to stop him. Despite proof that’s not what happened.
So it logically follows that Belichick didn’t want to go to any more SBs he wanted to lose with jimmy instead so he showed everyone and stopped Brady from winning.
Yes there are human beings who believe that, which is why we have this abomination of a thread.
Seriously, I think we missed Blount last year, and I'm hopeful for improvement in the running game, to increase our time of possession and take some of the heat off Tom.

Defensively, I also look for improvement in our capability to make stops earlier in drives and creating some more turnovers.

The fewer weaknesses we have, the less opponents will be able to exploit them.

It has been a long and tumultuous offseason during which many of us have developed strong opinions about what happened in that game and it’s impact on the future of the Patriots franchise.

I recorded the game on DVR to help celebrate a victory. I kept it with the intention of reviewing it someday to see if what I thought I saw really happened. These are my observations :

1. Who made the decision to wear the white uniforms even though the Pats were the home team? I can’t imagine Bill Belichick would give a moment of his time to nonsense like streaks or superstitions.
2. Malcolm Butler was included in the starting lineup as presented by NBC before the teams took the field. After the teams came out, I briefly saw him jumping in place slapping hands with teammates. The next time the camera showed him he was holding his fingers to his eyes fighting back tears.
3. The Eagles offense was not as overwhelming as I originally thought. It was big plays and vital 3rd down conversations that sustained their offense.
4. LaGarrette Blount had two long runs that were killers with one going for a touchdown.
5. Eric Rowe did not play as badly has I thought. The Alshon Jeffery TD was a great throw by Foles. Kind of a back shoulder fade 30 yards away in the end zone. No way anyone defends that. However, Jeffery pretty much disappeared once they put Gilmore on him.
6. Dion Lewis should have played more. It was much like it was when we had LGB as our RB. Lewis was in there only when he was going run it. Tells like that do not help an offense. It got better in the 2nd half when Rex Burkhead entered the game as they both threw it to him and had him run it. Speaking of tells, on the failed 3rd down reverse with Brandin Cooks, Brandon Bolden was the RB. If that didn’t tell the Eagles D that something tricky was going to be run, nothing would.
7. Jordan Richards is not a bum or whatever derogatory name the tough talkers on this forum want to call him. He graduated from Stanford and likely has a future we would all kill for. But, he can’t play pro football. He was almost single handily responsible for two huge plays in the first half. He was lined up in the box on Ajaya’s long run in the 2nd quarter. The Philly guard rag dolled him down the field so badly it slowed down backside pursuit. Richards also had coverage on the Clement wheel route just before the half which set up Foles’ TD reception. An NFL safety should not have been beaten so badly on that play.
8. By the middle of the 2nd quarter, I had noticed that every time Bill Belichick was on camera he was standing all alone. Hmmm
9. Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski are the two best players I’ve seen in Patriots’ uniforms at any position in my lifetime.
10. The vaunted Philly defense is trash. Their DL actually effected Brady in the pocket less than the Patriots effected Foles. The Patriots OL was beaten quickly on only one play the entire game. We all remember that play.
11. By the middle of the 3rd quarter, The Eagles offense was held in check except for two mismatches which they exploited time and time again for 1st downs. Nelson Agholor’s speed and quickness allowed him to beat Pat Chung so badly on one play that he was still able to handle a bad Foles’ pass for a big gain. Agholor made several 3rd down receptions including the one where Johnson Bademosi whiffed so badly on a tackle which should have brought a 4th down.
12. Finally a camera shot of Coach Belichick not alone. He engaged a huddle of defensive players and a discussion with Matt Patricia was shown. As the Patriots drove for their go ahead TD, the camera caught Josh McDaniels walking behind Belichick as the Pats matriculated down the field. They did not converse or even acknowledge one another.
12. The mismatch the Eagles exploited the most was the size and strength advantage the 6’5” 250 lb Zach Ertz had against the 5’10” 195 lb Devin McCourty. McCourty had no choice but to play off Ertz. On the 4th down conversion on the game winning drive, McCourty lined up 5 yards off Ertz who ran a shallow crossing route. McCourty got caught up in traffic (picked) and knocked on his ass. Trey Flowers’s quick pressure and Duron Harmon’s anticipation almost stopped it but didn’t. On the go ahead touchdown, Ertz lined up outside with McCourty 6 yards off with even or outside leverage. McCourty had no chance when Ertz ran a quick slant. Touchdown. Why didn’t the Pats just move McCourty who once made a Pro Bowl as a CB to the star position where he would have matched up better against Agholar’s speed Chung to play his normal position?
13. As the Patriots ‘s offense took the field twice with hopes of taking the lead back or desperately trying to tie it at the end, the cameras showed no interaction between the Head Coach, his long-time OC, and his QB of 17 seasons with whom he had shared 5 Super Bowl championships. No exhortation to succeed. No consolation when they failed. I’ve since watched the Sound FX of the game thinking the NFL’s cameras and microphones captured more, but they didn’t. The Patricia conversation showed Belichick asking Matty P. dispassionately whether he thought he needed to bring more pressure. I then watched the Sound FXs of Super Bowls 49 and 51. The contrast could not have been more striking.

We’re all entitled to our opinions as to what happened that day and what it portends for the future. But, the film unfortunately doesn’t lie.
Completely agree with #6. The Cat should've been on the field during the 2nd- and 3rd/goal calls in the first quarter, and during those two disastrous feck-ups in the second quarter.

Regarding #10, one quick correction: the Pats OL was beaten quickly on Two plays, not just one.

Regarding #12: Devin the Kneeler McCourty is so feckin over-rated it is no longer funny.

I wonder what we’d all have thought knowing that the Pats would put up over 600+ yards of offense, score 33 points, and never have to punt against Philly?

Looks like a 20 point cakewalk.
And it should've been one, save for two separate situations.

Dale Cooper and Bob!!

Season three was the bomb. Hoping there's a fourth.

I loved season 3, but I felt like it wrapped up perfectly. I don't see how a season 4 could come of that, especially after reading The Final Dossier.

Should've pissed off you and everyone else too.

Sure but we weren't the real targets like you and the OP. It wasn't personal we were just collateral damage. That's just how it goes sometimes.

I loved season 3, but I felt like it wrapped up perfectly. I don't see how a season 4 could come of that, especially after reading The Final Dossier.
They're still in an alternate timeline/reality, so they could run with it.

Season three (of Twin Peaks) was the bomb. Hoping there's a fourth.

They're still in an alternate timeline/reality, so they could run with it.

I loved the original...

But... that last season had maybe three episodes worth of value, drowning in a sea of David Lynch's self-indulgence. I stayed for (endured?) all 18 episodes (through some pretty weird sh*t), but Mrs. Rover and the younger 'rover son bailed after 4 or 5.

And yet... if it managed to return again... I'd give it another try. Glutton for punishment. LOL

But... that last season had maybe three episodes worth of value, drowning in a sea of David Lynch's self-indulgence.

And few filmmakers indulge themselves quite the way Lynch does, good (Eraserhead) and bad (Dune).

Dale Cooper and Bob!!

Season three was the bomb. Hoping there's a fourth.

Really, they should have called the series Fire Walk With Me: The Return -- it had much more in common with the movie than the TV show.

I'd be surprised if there was another series -- Lynch is in his 70s and now that people know they'll be getting full, mainlined Lynch instead of their memories of Twin Peaks I can't imagine they'll get the ratings even a cable network would want.

That said, Episode 8 was one of the most awesome bits of TV ever. "Drink deep and descend."

McCourty didn’t move to the STAR position because the Patriots were in a ton of man and McCourty has never shown the confidence to get his head around in man and look for the ball. He should have been the deep safety. Chung should have been on Ertz and Butler should have been the #2 corner. But, because he wasn’t, it severely handicapped how the coaching staff could utilize their personnel back there.

Yep, exactly. The fact that this rundown even includes the name Bademosi is all you need to know.

It’s not always about the points. It’s also about yards allowed and getting off the field on third downs. I mean do you really think a defense (in general) that gives up 99 yards on a drive that results in a field goal did its job?

Actually it IS always about the points. The team with the most points wins.

Actually it IS always about the points. The team with the most points wins.

I was talking about the defense, not team. Pats averaged 18.5 ppg on defense last season (ranked 5th). How’d that turn out in the SB?

If your defense is giving up yards, it less time the offense has to score points. And if the D is not giving up that many yards it’s not allowing a lot of points.

Last edited:
I was talking about the defense, not team. Pats averaged 18.5 ppg on defense last season (ranked 5th). How’d that turn out in the SB?

If your defense is giving up yards, it less time the offense has to score points. And if the D is not giving up that many yards it’s not allowing a lot of points.

Bad, but mostly because the Starting #2 cb was riding the pine for missing his flight two weeks prior to the game, And so the SS had to play out of position, which meant the FS had to play out of position, Which resulted in a third stringer playing significant snaps, and a 4th stringer being on the field.

The bend but don't break defense got them to the superbowl.

The defense they put on the field in the superbowl was NOT the patriots defense from the season, so comparing ppg is meaningless.

Your joking right? It got them to the SB.
Are you seriously telling me you think there is a stat that guarantees no bad games?

That’s not really true. Yards do not equal time of possession and less yards absolutely does not equal less points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes