PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

145 days later...I re-watched SB 52

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad, but mostly because the Starting #2 cb was riding the pine for missing his flight two weeks prior to the game, And so the SS had to play out of position, which meant the FS had to play out of position, Which resulted in a third stringer playing significant snaps, and a 4th stringer being on the field.

The bend but don't break defense got them to the superbowl.

The defense they put on the field in the superbowl was NOT the patriots defense from the season, so comparing ppg is meaningless.
Actually it was the same defense except Rowe was in Butlers place. The SS and FS played the same roles all season in the big nickel that they played in the SB. Suggesting they were out of position is ignorant when they did all season when we played a boatload of big nickel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said before, SB 52 I shrugged off right after it ended. It just had a weird feel to it, not like those two losses to Giants where it stung. Break downs on Def, not getting stops on 3rd & 4th downs, Making Foles look like Montana, No M.Butler and you would still think with Brady putting up 505 yds on like No.1 Def and Offense with over total 600 yds and kicker is Brady doesn't get ball knocked out, I'm going to another Banner Raising Thursday Night Game.

It’s not always about the points. It’s also about yards allowed and getting off the field on third downs.

No, it is about points and time management and definitely not about yards.

I mean do you really think a defense (in general) that gives up 99 yards on a drive that results in a field goal did its job?

With an offense like ours? Yes. That is a success.

Still haven’t

The Pats D got lit up a number of times last season WITH malcolm butler. His presence may have helped on a series or two but would not have stopped Philly from getting a ton of points.

The Pats D got lit up a number of times last season WITH malcolm butler. His presence may have helped on a series or two but would not have stopped Philly from getting a ton of points.
While there’s a part of me that strongly agrees with you that Butler would not have magically solved all of the issues, there’s another part that sees his tackling ability and fact that they could’ve used different matchups as being pretty big factors.

He almost certainly would've prevented at least one of those TDs, and that would've been enough.

And if Skippy didn't sh!t himself during the first half, that would've been More than enough.

Well, no.

They gave up 42 points vs KC and 33 each against Houston and Carolina. Against the better offenses the D struggled.

Butler would have helped a little but it was the absence of Hightower, Sheard, Ninkovich and Long that hurt the most. Hightower did play the first few games but had a 50% torn pec muscle.

Last edited:
They gave up 42 points vs KC and 33 each against Houston and Carolina. Against the better offenses the D struggled.

Butler would have helped a little but it was the absence of Hightower, Sheard, Ninkovich and Long that hurt the most. Hightower did play the first few games but had a 50% torn pec muscle.

It's hard to believe that at least one punt wouldn't have been forced if Butler had been in there.

Like I said before, SB 52 I shrugged off right after it ended. It just had a weird feel to it, not like those two losses to Giants where it stung. Break downs on Def, not getting stops on 3rd & 4th downs, Making Foles look like Montana, No M.Butler and you would still think with Brady putting up 505 yds on like No.1 Def and Offense with over total 600 yds and kicker is Brady doesn't get ball knocked out, I'm going to another Banner Raising Thursday Night Game.
This Super Bowl loss has been the easiest to accept when the coaching staff blatantly sabotages the game.

And I will never forget Matt Patricias ridiculous-disrespectful response as to why Butler didn’t play. I’m glad he’s gone.

Even had the Pats scored a touchdown on that last drive, who’s to say the Eagles wouldn’t have gone right back down field and kick the game-winning field goal?
He almost certainly would've prevented at least one of those TDs, and that would've been enough.

And if Skippy didn't sh!t himself during the first half, that would've been More than enough.
Who is Skippy? I always get a kick out of the nicknames you have for the Patriots.

It's hard to believe that at least one punt wouldn't have been forced if Butler had been in there.
It’s also hard to believe that people on this board actually argue the fact that Butler would not have helped them in this game over stiffs like Eric Rowe and Jordan Richards.

Last edited:
While Butler didn’t have his greatest year, why wait until the last-most important game of the season to sit him on the sidelines? That is what people have the most problem with.

Who is Skippy? I always get a kick out of the nicknames you have for the Patriots.

McDaniels

It’s also hard to believe that people on this board actually argue the fact that Butler would not have helped them in this game over stiffs like Eric Rowe and Jordan Richards.

You're new here, but you're speaking of a forum population in which roughly half of the board convinced themselves that there was nothing wrong with the 2009 unit, that the 2010 defense was a quality one because of turnovers, that the 2011 defense was good enough citing the pedestrian points allowed ranking, that there was nothing wrong with the 2012 defense (pre-Talib) and that McCourty was doing a fine job as a corner at the beginning of the season, that the WR corps going into the 2013 season was good enough and that Dobson and Thompkins were going to make the leap as rookies, that the interior pass protection in 2014 and 2015 weren't issues, and finally that the defense in 2017 was a top 10 unit.

Oh, I’m not saying Butler wouldn’t have helped us win. I am saying Butler wouldn’t have helped shut Philly down. Maybe the Pats win 40-30 if he were there and played to his capabilities. We saw the Pats D get lit up multiple times in 2017 with Butler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back