PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Receivers Are Already Better Than In 2022

If they don't pick up anyone new in the draft, he's a dark horse for a role in the slot this year. Long odds, but he'll do his best to make it a tough decision for them.
UCF was sort of the darling in Florida being a smaller program that suddenly became a contender, and Nixon was among the guys who got some press. He's a hard-worker and a great kid, and he's easy to root for. Definitely hope he has a good camp, always fun to see someone like that emerge into a role.

Here is a small snapshot of the upcoming draft in three weeks. I chose these guys not just because they're coming out, but because of where they'll be drafted. I put their ESPN prospect ranking to the right of their names for reference, these guys can be had from the 3rd and 4th round on. All of these guys are 6'2" or around there, weigh well over 200 pounds, they are all screaming fast and have good agility and other measurables.

Jonathan Mingo (15th)
Andrei Iosivas (18th)
Bryce Ford-Wheaton (38th)
Trey Palmer (40th)

The Pats could take two of these guys in the 4th round. I particularly like Mingo and Ford Wheaton. The Pats have invited Mingo in for a pre-draft visit. In terms of athleticism alone, these guys look like Ferraris... Brandon Ayiuk is a Hyundai.

Jonathan Mingo: 6'2" 220 pounds, 4.4 forty, 22 bench reps, 39.5" vertical
Bryce Ford-Wheaton: 6'4" 221 pounds, 4.3 forty, 41" vertical, 4.15 shuttle, 6.97 cone

Tyreek Hill and Stefon Diggs were both fifth round picks... why do we want some other teams players that even they don't want to re-sign again?
@BaconGrundleCandy had some good notes on Mingo as well (link). Definitely an interesting player:

First highlight catch is ridiculous :rolleyes:

That’s general consensus when evaluating them. I also wouldn’t be taking WR advice from someone that thought wilkerson & nixon would outperform meyers either.
"General consensus," again... a made up opinion based fact.

Wilkerson was an UDFA, Nixon was a late 7th round pick. I wouldn't write either of them off, they're both still in the league and Wilkerson was a lock to make the team last year before being the recipient of a dirty hit in preseason which knocked him out for the year. Nixon has to prove he has the hands, he already showed he could get open in preseason.

Oh yeah, I also never said they would outperform Meyers, I said they were cheaper options to replace him and better athletes... both of which were true. I predicted Meyers would make the NFL as a possession WR immediately after the draft in a thread about which Patriot UDFA would make the team back in 2019... so I wouldn't knock my prediction skills. I'm not always right, but I'm right more than I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Zay Flowers.
Come on, if we all chant it, it might happen.
And I think Bourne is going to get a legit shot to contribute this year. At least compete with Ty for #3 reps.

I wouldn't give up on Nixon. He was terrific at UCF and he's obviously had some good moments here. Given their needs on special teams, I could also see him potentially being a factor at the bottom of the depth chart. He's more athletic than Meyers, but obviously, unlike Meyers, he hasn't been able to put it all together just yet.

That and Belichick has been relatively high on the kid, which I'm sure is why he stuck around again:

He’s a 7th round WR with 0 career receptions. He’s a camp body at this point.

Last edited:
He’s a 7th round WR with 0 career receptions. He’s camp competition meanwhile meyers is making 11 million this year on the raiders.
Very true. Meyers was an undrafted guy who developed into a solid player and obviously got rewarded because of it. We’re just having a conversation about another player who is still essentially a prospect, but has had enough good moments that he’s still around and isn’t as far along yet, so who knows?

Zay is a playmaker
Do we need another small slot guy, or would we rather have a big guy?

#1 is all we hear, give me the big tall guy.

He’s a 7th round WR with 0 career receptions. He’s a camp body at this point.
After losing Meyers, I'd be good with them drafting a tall, big kid like Mingo. Obviously, they've been going with taller guys as of late, and it would be nice if they could get someone who is athletic, fast, and is a little bigger than some of these guys, albeit preferably better than a former Arizona State WR we all know and didn't love. :cool:

Juju, Parker they’ve already had better individual seasons than Aiyuk…. Thornton and Marcus Jones could be if they develop.

This is typical weapon’s crowd nonsense… every weapon every other team has is better than ours.
Not every but all of these...

Best WR corps in the NFL (top half roughly in order):

Cincinnati
(Burrow) - Ja' Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd
Miami (Tua) - Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, Braxton Berrios
Philadelphia (Hurts) - A.J. Brown, DeVonta Smith, Quez Watkins
San Francisco - Deebo Samuel, Brandon Aiyuk, Jauan Jennings
Minnesota (Cousins) - Justin Jefferson, K.J. Osborn, Jalen Reagor
Buffalo (Allen) - Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis, Khalil Shakir
LA Chargers (Herbert) - Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Joshua Palmer
Arizona (Murray) - DeAndre Hopkins, Marquise Brown, Rondale Moore
Seattle (Geno) - DK Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, Dee Eskridge
LV Raiders (Garoppolo) - Davante Adams, Jakobi Meyers, Hunter Renfrow
LA Rams (Stafford) - Cooper Kupp, Allen Robinson, Van Jefferson
Dallas (Dak) - CeeDee Lamb, Brandon Cooks, Michael Gallop
Tampa Bay (Mayfield) - Mike Evans, Chris Goodwin, Russell Gage
Denver (R. Wilson) - Jerry Jeudy, Courtland Sutton, Tim Patrick
NYJ (Rodgers) - Garrett Wilson, Corey Davis, Allen Lazard
Detroit (Goff) - Amon-Ra St. Brown, Josh Reynolds, Jameson Williams

Should the Patriots be wedged in there somewhere or are they in the bottom half?

NEP (Mac) - JuJu S-S, DeVante Parker, Kendrick Bourne

I wouldn't give up on Nixon.
I would. And have. No team in the NFL has had any use for him x2 seasons. Not a good start to one's "career."

If Jakobi Meyers had 4.2 forty speed he’d have been Randy Moss… possibly better… he didn’t. He had 4.6 forty speed. Speed matters. Science matters…
Is this a joke? Randy Moss?

I would. And have. No team in the NFL has had any use for him x2 seasons. Not a good start to one's "career."
I know you're an instant results guy, so it is what it is. I don't know if you know this or not, but Edelman did essentially nothing from 2009 until 2013...so there is something to be said for having a little patience. Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't. Doesn't hurt them to continue letting him compete.
Is this a joke? Randy Moss?
That was a hypothetical where if Meyers had the enhanced skillset of Moss's speed mixed with Meyers's ability to go up and make catches, fight for the ball, etc. Obviously, he doesn't, but it was just one of those "in a perfect world" where if you could cross a couple of players, etc. Not everything has to be black and white ;)

"Bottom 10 WR corps" is a made up opinion based fact.... like Wozzy is top five in the world at love making.

Then maybe you're better at love-making than you believe...

I wouldn't give up on Nixon. He was terrific at UCF and he's obviously had some good moments here. Given their needs on special teams, I could also see him potentially being a factor at the bottom of the depth chart. He's more athletic than Meyers, but obviously, unlike Meyers, he hasn't been able to put it all together just yet.

That and Belichick has been relatively high on the kid, which I'm sure is why he stuck around again:

We all know why he's still here.

Not every but all of these...

Best WR corps in the NFL (top half roughly in order):

Cincinnati
(Burrow) - Ja' Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd
Miami (Tua) - Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, Braxton Berrios
Philadelphia (Hurts) - A.J. Brown, DeVonta Smith, Quez Watkins
San Francisco - Deebo Samuel, Brandon Aiyuk, Jauan Jennings
Minnesota (Cousins) - Justin Jefferson, K.J. Osborn, Jalen Reagor
Buffalo (Allen) - Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis, Khalil Shakir
LA Chargers (Herbert) - Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Joshua Palmer
Arizona (Murray) - DeAndre Hopkins, Marquise Brown, Rondale Moore
Seattle (Geno) - DK Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, Dee Eskridge
LV Raiders (Garoppolo) - Davante Adams, Jakobi Meyers, Hunter Renfrow
LA Rams (Stafford) - Cooper Kupp, Allen Robinson, Van Jefferson
Dallas (Dak) - CeeDee Lamb, Brandon Cooks, Michael Gallop
Tampa Bay (Mayfield) - Mike Evans, Chris Goodwin, Russell Gage
Denver (R. Wilson) - Jerry Jeudy, Courtland Sutton, Tim Patrick
NYJ (Rodgers) - Garrett Wilson, Corey Davis, Allen Lazard
Detroit (Goff) - Amon-Ra St. Brown, Josh Reynolds, Jameson Williams

Should the Patriots be wedged in there somewhere or are they in the bottom half?

NEP (Mac) - JuJu S-S, DeVante Parker, Kendrick Bourne

Bottom-10, easily, as Patsinthesnow previously and correctly mentioned.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back