PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Receivers Are Already Better Than In 2022

He’s never put up a season like Juju’s 2018 campaign, Juju had roughly 400 more receiving yards that season than Brandon’s best. Juju is an inch taller, was ten pounds heavier leaving college and unlike Ayiuk wasn’t afraid to run his agility drills… and Juju’s agility drills were excellent… so “quicker feet” is based on nothing… the eyeball test.
That's all we have though, so that's all we have to work with. And I was a big Smith-Schuster guy last offseason, so I'm certainly glad he's here. I would say watching that footage that Ayiuk's style of play seems more like Bourne, so I agree with you on the redundancy thing. Just not sure if they'd bring Ayiuk in unless they didn't plan on keeping Bourne past this season.

Nobody is saying forty times = great player.

Once a player proves he can play well, his forty time and measurables set the ceiling. It’s become vogue to say forty times don’t matter because for a long time fools focused solely on forty times. Now the pendulum has swung the other way.

Randy Moss had solid but not exceptional agility for a guy his height and size… what made him deadly beyond his length, innate ability to play the position was his 4.2 forty speed. Give me a break, speed kills.
It definitely does. That's obviously why they drafted both Thornton and Strong last year. We saw it first hand. All I was saying is it does depend a little on the type of player you're looking for. If you have a shifty inside slot guy, you're not necessarily focusing on their 40, albeit it obviously does play a factor.

I will say that he got better at that toward the end. One area that he really improved on was high-pointing the ball and going up for it, and he got stronger and also got better with contested catches. We sort of saw that with him toward the end of the season and it's unfortunate that it didn't work out to keep him here.
If Jakobi Meyers had 4.2 forty speed he’d have been Randy Moss… possibly better… he didn’t. He had 4.6 forty speed. Speed matters. Science matters…

It definitely does. That's obviously why they drafted both Thornton and Strong last year. We saw it first hand. All I was saying is it does depend a little on the type of player you're looking for. If you have a shifty inside slot guy, you're not necessarily focusing on their 40, albeit it obviously does play a factor.
I don’t disagree, but if you have two similar players like Meyers and Juju but one has slightly better speed and is cheaper then give me the faster guy. Faster is better.

If Jakobi Meyers had 4.2 forty speed he’d have been Randy Moss… possibly better… he didn’t. He had 4.6 forty speed. Speed matters. Science matters…
LOL, that's definitely a fun hypothetical - I think he was tougher and stronger than Moss, so it would be interesting to try and figure out a good equivalent in a perfect world on who we'd equate him with. Although, we haven't ever really been that lucky, aside from Edelman, in terms of having someone like Meyers turn into a super star. Albeit, outside of New England, no one looks at Edelman the way we do.

I don’t disagree, but if you have two similar players like Meyers and Juju but one has slightly better speed and is cheaper then give me the faster guy. Faster is better.
I agree, I would have preferred Meyers and my biggest fear played out because I feel like Belichick gambled hoping that everyone outside New England would view Meyers the way most do, as a solid role player who had decent speed and a knack for getting open, and was tough and reliable. The problem was, McDaniels also saw him first-hand and also knew it, and that was exactly what I was afraid of. Although, on a positive note, the fact they at least made an effort to replace him with Smith-Schuster was at least good to see.

That an offense that struggled to have 14 TDs all season is instantly improved with BOB, JuJu and a new TE.
Coaching matters. We saw that with the Jaguars and Giants.

Basically the same Patriot offense with the same QB went from 6th in scoring in 2021 to 25th in scoring in 2022. They went from one of the least penalized units in the NFL to the most penalized unit.

Don’t try to sell us a load of crap.
BOB got fired in Houston.

He had the 11th and 14th ranked offenses the last 2 years with Watson and Hopkins. His teams sucked with the Mac Jones type of QBs.
He also had a winning record and one of the least penalized teams in the league. His GM was why he lost, that guy was terrible. Once the GM got fired and Bob made the decisions they instantly went 11-5. He had one injury plagued season and he was out.
The Pats have the 2023 version of JuJu and not when he had AB as the # 1 WR. There is no # 1 WR on this team.
#1 WR is a load of garbage.

There’s like five WR’s in the entire league that keep defensive coordinators up at night or they game plan for. The rest are just WR’s.

The Chiefs won a championship last year with Juju as their leading WR… explain to us how he fell off a cliff this off-season. Good grief…
Its always the same. Homers run amok.
You’re a troll.

Trying to think of a bigger, stronger receiver with really great speed ... Terrell Owens (4.45), maybe? Calvin Johnson (4.35)? Was looking at a few guys to try and find a hypothetical type of guy who fell into that category and that's who I've found so far. Sort of an interesting thought you had there. ;)

I agree, I would have preferred Meyers and my biggest fear played out because I feel like Belichick gambled hoping that everyone outside New England would view Meyers the way most do, as a solid role player who had decent speed and a knack for getting open, and was tough and reliable. The problem was, McDaniels also saw him first-hand and also knew it, and that was exactly what I was afraid of. Although, on a positive note, the fact they at least made an effort to replace him with Smith-Schuster was at least good to see.
I preferred someone faster than Meyers in the slot, I was tired of watching him get caught from behind. He was a great kid and good possession receiver but they could do better.

Trying to think of a bigger, stronger receiver with really great speed ... Terrell Owens (4.45), maybe? Calvin Johnson (4.35)? Was looking at a few guys to try and find a hypothetical type of guy who fell into that category and that's who I've found so far. Sort of an interesting thought you had there. ;)
There’s some in this upcoming draft class who can be found in the middle rounds. If you can develop one of those kids you have a better receiver than Ayuik who will be up for a new contract sooner than later. Fans always want other teams blah players.

There’s some in this upcoming draft class who can be found in the middle rounds. If you can develop one of those kids you have a better receiver than Ayuik who will be up for a new contract sooner than later. Fans always want other teams blah players.
He is similar to Bourne, though. I'd take Ayuik in that case, if it was an option and I had to pick between the two. Again, that's provided they're not going to extend/keep him.

Coaching matters. We saw that with the Jaguars and Giants.

Basically the same Patriot offense with the same QB went from 6th in scoring in 2021 to 25th in scoring in 2022. They went from one of the least penalized units in the NFL to the most penalized unit.

Don’t try to sell us a load of crap.

He also had a winning record and one of the least penalized teams in the league. His GM was why he lost, that guy was terrible. Once the GM got fired and Bob made the decisions they instantly went 11-5. He had one injury plagued season and he was out.

#1 WR is a load of garbage.

There’s like five WR’s in the entire league that keep defensive coordinators up at night or they game plan for. The rest are just WR’s.

The Chiefs won a championship last year with Juju as their leading WR… explain to us how he fell off a cliff this off-season. Good grief…

You’re a troll.
A #1 WR is more of a luxury than a necessity as teams that win the Super Bowl very rarely seem to have that type of player. And the biggest issue with Smith-Schuster here is just going to be his durability. He's good enough to be who they need him to be, provided everyone else works out. Again, it would be great to add that one guy on the outside but if they can't, they've got enough to be among the last teams standing if they can even get back to where they were a couple of years ago, especially with this defense.

The pats have a bottom 10 WR corps, a pretty good TE duo & a stud RB for a league average supporting cast. It’s similar to 2021 IMO. It’s not good enough for a qb entering year 3 of his rookie deal. A #1 option would make a difference & the team knows that. Between the trade rumors & attending workouts for the top WRs I’m expecting them get one at the draft.

Here are the wrs & tes signed past 2023:

WR: Smith-Schuster, Thornton
TE: nobody

It’s obvious they are adding someone. Parker & Bourne are on 1 year deals with basically no money guaranteed.

Also worth noting while attending training camp the two most impressive players were Marcus Jones & Tyquan Thornton. He was getting separation & he showed he had more than just speed in the preseason. I wouldn’t give up on him as his role was affected by the coaching. Why he was running crossers into zone coverage beats me. I think he’ll start and has the potential to be a big play WR.

WR: tbd
WR: Smith-Schuster
WR: Thornton

Bourne or Parker get traded or cut. A WR is added on draft day.

The pats have a bottom 10 WR corps, a pretty good TE duo & a stud RB for a league average supporting cast. It’s similar to 2021 IMO. It’s not good enough for a qb entering year 3 of his rookie deal. A #1 option would make a difference & the team knows that. Between the trade rumors & attending workouts for the top WRs I’m expecting them get one at the draft.

Here are the wrs & tes signed past 2023:

WR: Smith-Schuster, Thornton
TE: nobody

It’s obvious they are adding someone. Parker & Bourne are on 1 year deals with basically no money guaranteed.

Also worth noting while attending training camp the two most impressive players were Marcus Jones & Tyquan Thornton. He was getting separation & he showed he had more than just speed in the preseason. I wouldn’t give up on him as his role was affected by the coaching. Why he was running crossers into zone coverage beats me. I think he’ll start and has the potential to be a big play WR.

WR: tbd
WR: Smith-Schuster
WR: Thornton

Bourne or Parker get traded or cut. A WR is added on draft day.

"Bottom 10 WR corps" is a made up opinion based fact.... like Wozzy is top five in the world at love making.

They have 11 draft picks, we have no clue what the unit looks like on day one. In 2021 they scored the 6th most points in the league with a rookie QB, they'll be better this year health provided.

"Bottom 10 WR corps" is a made up opinion based fact.... like Wozzy is top five in the world at love making.

They have 11 draft picks, we have no clue what the unit looks like on day one. In 2021 they scored the 6th most points in the league with a rookie QB, they'll be better this year health provided.
That’s general consensus when evaluating them. I also wouldn’t be taking WR advice from someone that thought wilkerson & nixon would outperform meyers either.

That’s general consensus when evaluating rosters objectively. I also wouldn’t be taking WR advice from someone that thought wilkerson & nixon would outperform meyers either.
I wouldn't give up on Nixon. He was terrific at UCF and he's obviously had some good moments here. Given their needs on special teams, I could also see him potentially being a factor at the bottom of the depth chart. He's more athletic than Meyers, but obviously, unlike Meyers, he hasn't been able to put it all together just yet.

That and Belichick has been relatively high on the kid, which I'm sure is why he stuck around again:

I wouldn't give up on Nixon. He was terrific at UCF and he's obviously had some good moments here. Given their needs on special teams, I could also see him potentially being a factor at the bottom of the depth chart. He's more athletic than Meyers, but obviously, unlike Meyers, he hasn't been able to put it all together just yet.

That and Belichick has been relatively high on the kid, which I'm sure is why he stuck around again:

If they don't pick up anyone new in the draft, he's a dark horse for a role in the slot this year. Long odds, but he'll do his best to make it a tough decision for them.

A #1 WR is more of a luxury than a necessity as teams that win the Super Bowl very rarely seem to have that type of player. And the biggest issue with Smith-Schuster here is just going to be his durability. He's good enough to be who they need him to be, provided everyone else works out. Again, it would be great to add that one guy on the outside but if they can't, they've got enough to be among the last teams standing if they can even get back to where they were a couple of years ago, especially with this defense.
Here is a small snapshot of the upcoming draft in three weeks. I chose these guys not just because they're coming out, but because of where they'll be drafted. I put their ESPN prospect ranking to the right of their names for reference, these guys can be had from the 3rd and 4th round on. All of these guys are 6'2" or around there, weigh well over 200 pounds, they are all screaming fast and have good agility and other measurables.

Jonathan Mingo (15th)
Andrei Iosivas (18th)
Bryce Ford-Wheaton (38th)
Trey Palmer (40th)

The Pats could take two of these guys in the 4th round. I particularly like Mingo and Ford Wheaton. The Pats have invited Mingo in for a pre-draft visit. In terms of athleticism alone, these guys look like Ferraris... Brandon Ayiuk is a Hyundai.

Jonathan Mingo: 6'2" 220 pounds, 4.4 forty, 22 bench reps, 39.5" vertical
Bryce Ford-Wheaton: 6'4" 221 pounds, 4.3 forty, 41" vertical, 4.15 shuttle, 6.97 cone

Tyreek Hill and Stefon Diggs were both fifth round picks... why do we want some other teams players that even they don't want to re-sign again?

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back