PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

10 Most underrated Patriots Super Bowl plays

Patsfan1958

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Ranking the Patriots’ most underrated Super Bowl plays

Over the past two decades, the New England Patriots produced countless highlight-reel moments en route to six Super Bowl victories. But while the big plays — from the Malcolm Butler interception, to the Edelman catch, to Adam Vinatieri’s game-winners — consistently steal the show when those games are discussed, there are others who would qualify as ”big plays“ as well even though they are not getting the same kind of publicity.

The Patriots not being in the Super Bowl this season means that now is a perfect time to look back at just those moments. The list is of course subjective, but it does present an overview of some possibly forgotten moments that helped New England bring six Vince Lombardi Trophies home. And yes, we’re only focusing on moments from successful games. Why would we like to relive Super Bowl 42, after all?

Including losses, the Lippett hit on McMahon and Curtis Martin's TD run are up there.

The Eagles loss has tons, of course all on offense.

Biased, obviously, but Troy Brown's 23 yard - willing himself wide open for a crossing route - reception, making his way out of bounds to stop the clock. Adam would've been good from there.

From nbcsports:

Weis: "We called a play where they expected us to throw to the outside and we had a play called to the inside. We wanted to attack their Cover-2, figuring they wouldn't blitz twice and they went back to their bread and butter. Fortunately for us, Troy cleared the linebacker and Tom made a great throw."

Brady: "I saw the coverage and we were running three in-cuts. It's a read where I go from the first in-cut to the second to the third. The first in-cut, Troy, was covered initially. I looked to the second one and I saw some commotion, then I felt the whole left side of the pocket open up so I kind of slid to the left side of the pocket and I pick up Troy again, who was my first read. So I went first, second and back to my first. I couldn't even see the third in-cut, it was so far across the field. I just saw Troy pop out the back side of the coverage so I dumped it to him. He just popped open and I let it rip."

Brown: "We had all in-cuts called on the front side of the play. All I was thinking was get open and catch the ball. If I catch it in bounds, get as many yards as I can and get out of bounds. They went to their zone defense and I just tried to find an open spot in the zone. I was headed in there and I knew I only had to get behind one guy. After that, I said we got a chance. When I saw where I was I said, we got a chance to win this thing."

Very first thought that popped into my head was JR getting out of bounds in SB 36 on that last drive. Huge play getting out of bounds when he was stopped cold 2 yards in bounds but twisted and willed his way into getting where he had to go.

Ok, let's see. I'm just thinking of these off the top of my head and am doing so without looking at hte article or other posts, so it will be interesting to see if our lists align at all.....

In no particular order I'm going with.........

-vs Atlanta, 3rd and 10 conversion on last drive of regulation on our own goal line. As crazy as it sounds, we may have punted here if not converted and the comeback may have been an 'almost' instead of 'was'

-vs Seattle, Hightower tackle of Marshaw Lynch....the play before 'the play'....Malcolm Butler doesn't have his historic comeback without Hightower making the play before

-vs Giants (SB 46), TD to Woodhead to close the half. Too bad they lost this game, b/c the drive at the end of the first half would have been legendary. With four minutes left, down 9-3 and on the shadow of our own goalline, it looks like the Gianst will force a punt and get at least a field goal to close the half. Instead, the Pats go on an epic drive sealed by the Woodhead TD putting htem up 10-9 at half

-SB 36, first play of 'the drive' at hte end of the game was close to being a strip sack and would have completely changed the game

-SB 53, Jason McCourty pass defense against Cooks. Game changing play

Against Atlanta, the touch pass to Amendola on 3rd down late in the 4th quarter backed up in the end zone.

A Giant turning over Pierre Woods' body as he's all alone on top of a recovered fumble fully in his possession, then ripping it away.

Last edited:
SB 38 - Vrabels Sack / Forced Fumble, huge set up for a short field td in the 2nd...
SB 38 - John Kasey's out of bounds kick off ... what a shot in the arm that was lol
SB 39 - Christian Fauria corralling the on-side kick after the iggles last td

The touch pass to Amendola on 3rd down late in the 4th quarter backed up in the end zone.

A Giant turning over Pierre Woods' body as he's all alone on top of a recovered fumble fully in his possession, then ripping it away.

As far as throws go, that pass to Danny was as good as Ryan to Julio ... Julio's catch was better, but both were deeper outs into excellent coverage needing that perfect level of touch.

The touch pass to Amendola on 3rd down late in the 4th quarter backed up in the end zone.

Thanks for reminding me.

Very first thought that popped into my head was JR getting out of bounds in SB 36 on that last drive. Huge play getting out of bounds when he was stopped cold 2 yards in bounds but twisted and willed his way into getting where he had to go.
I was thinking that same thing.

One of the underrated plays was the emphatic call on the Edelman catch vs Atlanta. That correct call forced Atlanta to burn a timeout that they couldn't use when they got the ball back with 50 seconds left in regulation.

Another underrated play was when Butler knocked Kearse OOB after the lucky bounce and catch. I couldn't believe it when Harmon leaped over Kearse instead of knocking the ball away but Butler stayed with the play and kept him out of the end zone.

Super Bowl XX. Tony Franklin's 36-yard field goal 1:19 into the first quarter to give the Patriots the lead and giving fans a faint glimmer of hope for a fraction of second that they could hang with the Bears.

Against Atlanta, the touch pass to Amendola on 3rd down late in the 4th quarter backed up in the end zone.

That was Hogan. Incredible play. Brady threw the ball while Hogan was still cutting right and his back was turned to Brady. Pure trust that he will be exactly where he needs to be.

Another underrated play of that game was Brady’s run on 3rd and 8th while down 28-3. If he gets sacked there, it’s more or less game over. It would have been 4th and 15 at best.

SB 36 Grant Williams blocked 2 guys springing Kevin Faulk to a first down on a 3rd and 2 which then lead to the Pats 2nd TD just before halftime.

The Carolina kickoff going out of bounds on the kick right after they tied the score at 29 with 1:06 left on the clock.

Pats get the ball at their own 40, with no time coming off the clock.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back