PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

“Brady held up his end of the bargain but Bill Belichick didn’t.”-Skip Bayless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redman443

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
skip made a great point. Brady held up his end of the bargain, he led a drive in the fourth quarter to put the patriots on top again with 9 minutes to go. 33 points is the most ever by a super bowl losing team. Belichick has been known to be a defensive mastermind and the very next drive, the eagles went 14 plays for 75 yards. You got the feeling that the Belichick defense needed to bend but not break, just make that one play when it mattered the most but it was the eagles who made that play not the pats. It wouldn’t have come to that if Belichicks defense wouldn’t have given up 41 points

That wasent bend but not break.

More accurate description would be break , don’t bother tackling, use packages that make no sense. Ugg

Patricia should have remained a rocket scientist because there is no way he could be as bad at astrometry

“Brady held up his end of the bargain but Bill Belichick didn’t.”-Skip Bayless

20140226_C7562_PHOTO_EN_37170.jpg

So does Belichick get 0% credit for the offense?

Well do you ever see BB get the offense together for a lecture? Ever? In any game? In any playoff? In any Superbowl? I always see him yapping non stop to the Def Line or LB corps or Defensive Banks. I see Scar talking a lot to the OL, and Josh and TB yapping throughout the game and TB and the WRs/TEs talking a lot, and the RB coach talking to the RBs etc. That's what I have seen last 15 years.

So yeah, I don't give BB the coach credit for the offense. I give BB the GM credit for hiring Josh, for keeping Brady, for picking and keeping Gronk, for trading for Cooks, for keeping Dola etc. Frankly I am not sure what, if any, adjustments BB does to the offense in-game ever. I bet BB feels the offense can figure it out, and rightly so. Brady has shown that he can. So BB focuses on the defense and yes BB and Patricia failed us.

Brady threw for 500 frickin yards. This game had the MOST YARDS EVER for any game. EVER. Regular or Post-Season. So while offense was heroically good, and put up monster yards, our defense was pathetically and historically bad to give up monster yards. Defense frickin failed and it all falls on Patricia and BB.

Defense frickin failed and it all falls on Patricia and BB.

I get where you're going, and I think it's where we should be looking first when we perform the autopsy on this game, but I think we should keep acknowledging the poor play of the defensive players, as well.

That's where you're going with this? HAWT TAKE, MAN!

What percentage of the defense does Brady get credit for, then?

Brady is an offensive player, so none obviously.

Belichick is the head coach, so he gets credit for every part of the team (Offense, Defense, Special Teams)

Not that hard to understand.

I guess we should give Doug Peterson 0% credit for the Eagles offense, it was just 100% Nick Foles, if we're going by this logic.

Brady is an offensive player, so none obviously.

Belichick is the head coach, so he gets credit for every part of the team (Offense, Defense, Special Teams)

I guess we should give Doug Peterson 0% credit for the Eagles offense, it was just 100% Nick Foles, if we're going by this logic.

Your argument is ridiculous. This is an individual game issue, not a season long and roster building exercise. Belichick himself acknowledges complementary football. Without good play by the offense, the defense is under more pressure. Without good STs, the defense doesn't have the same good field position, etc....

So, of course Brady gets a percentage of credit for the defense if you're going to be giving the defensive-minded head coach, who makes almost none of the offensive calls, a percentage of the credit for the offense. If you're going to make such a picayune argument on the one end, you have to make that same sort of picayune argument on the other end.

As for Pederson, he's the one calling the plays on offense, so your comparison fails miserably.

I get where you're going, and I think it's where we should be looking first when we perform the autopsy on this game, but I think we should keep acknowledging the poor play of the defensive players, as well.
Absolutely. As a matter of fact, one could make a strong argument that good coaching is what got this rag tag group of defensive misfits this far in the first place.

It’s a shame they couldn’t finish the job, and that the season was bookended on run/pass/option, some trickery, basic dink and dunk passing and misdirection plays that seemed to confuse them enough to allow 40+ in both contests.

I’m guessing that the pitchforks are coming out for the coaching due to the Butler situation, but it’s difficult for me to have a strong opinion one way or another until we get a better idea of what may have happened. Personally, I’m going to assume that Belichick did not want to play Bademosi and Rowe over Butler and may have felt like he was forced to sit him for whatever reason, but that’s just so difficult to imagine at the same time in such a big game setting. What a bummer of an ending to the season.

Brady the coach?? Incredibly stupid comment..

Fans discount what an incredible run the Eagles and Foles had, they put up 38 points on the road against what many consider the best NFC defense in the league, Minnesota.

Foles was playing out of his mind the post season, his success was not unique to the Patriots.. he completed 73% of his passes during that run.. some of the passes I watched Sunday nite were way beyond anything I was expecting..

Given that they allowed 41 I’d say 30%, without all those long drives it probably would have been in the 60’s.

Fans discount what an incredible run the Eagles and Foles had, they put up 38 points on the road against what many consider the best NFC defense in the league, Minnesota.

Foles was playing out of his mind the post season, his success was not unique to the Patriots.. he completed 73% of his passes during that run.. some of the passes I watched Sunday nite were way beyond anything I was expecting..

Yep. I had him faltering in the big game but he played an exceptional game. I don’t think there’s a person on this planet who would have believed that Brady would throw for 500 yards and 3 TD’s and the Patriots would lose, I know I didn’t. In fact, talking with numerous friends leading up to the game we all agreed that if Brady had a good game the Patriots would win, and we all expected a brady to have a good game.

Disappointing loss, that’s the way it goes.

Are we conceding that the better team won?

Absolutely. As a matter of fact, one could make a strong argument that good coaching is what got this rag tag group of defensive misfits this far in the first place.

It’s a shame they couldn’t finish the job, and that the season was bookended on run/pass/option, some trickery, basic dink and dunk passing and misdirection plays that seemed to confuse them enough to allow 40+ in both contests.

I’m guessing that the pitchforks are coming out for the coaching due to the Butler situation, but it’s difficult for me to have a strong opinion one way or another until we get a better idea of what may have happened. Personally, I’m going to assume that Belichick did not want to play Bademosi and Rowe over Butler and may have felt like he was forced to sit him for whatever reason, but that’s just so difficult to imagine at the same time in such a big game setting. What a bummer of an ending to the season.

It’s sounding like a confluence of events led Belichick to sit him. First, he was sick, late coming to Minnesota, and missed gameplanning practices. Second, he practiced poorly when he was there, third, he was breaking team rules leading up to the game. All taken together Belichick believed his head wasn’t in the game and that they would be better off going with those who were totally committed to it. People can be as pissed off as they want about it but my guess is that they would have been just as pissed off if Butler has been beaten for the game winning TD by Wilson against a Seattle. “It’s the biggest play of the season and Belichick decides to go with AN UNDRAFTED FREE AGENT NOBODY!!!!!!!” What hubris, what arrogance, what an ego, what a moron!!!!!!!

Like it or not Belichick did what he thought was best for the team, and given what he’s done for this franchise I’m fine with it. I don’t know what Butler did to lose Belichick’s faith but It’s definitely on Butler, not on Belichick, as I have no doubt that Belichick would much rather have been able to count on him and play him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back