PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

“Brady held up his end of the bargain but Bill Belichick didn’t.”-Skip Bayless

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized something... when we talk about Brady's game on Sunday and praising his performance and his stats in this loss... are we (myself included) starting to sound like what Colts fans did with Forehead? :eek:
That team did have a certain Colts like flavor to it, with the poor defense, inconsistency early in the season on the Oline, etc.

Actually, in the official stat books spiking the ball does go down as an incomplete pass.
It's not listed that way on the NFL's website. His stat line for the game of 28 for 48 does not include the spikes.

It's not listed that way on the NFL's website. His stat line for the game of 28 for 48 does not include the spikes.

Incorrect. I just went to the play-by-play and counted every pass attempt listed. You only get to 48 attempts if you count the spikes. Spikes have always counted as incomplete passes in the books.

And they should because they are incomplete passes. In the rule book there's a section that specifically exempts spikes from the intentional grounding rule. If they weren't incomplete passes there would be no need for that.

I just realized something... when we talk about Brady's game on Sunday and praising his performance and his stats in this loss... are we (myself included) starting to sound like what Colts fans did with Forehead? :eek:
The Colts fans praised Mannings regular season stats over his post season losses like a pick 6 to end a Super Bowl or 4 interception performance off his record breaking 2003 regular season performance.

Incorrect. I just went to the play-by-play and counted every pass attempt listed. You only get to 48 attempts if you count the spikes. Spikes have always counted as incomplete passes in the books.

And they should because they are incomplete passes. In the rule book there's a section that specifically exempts spikes from the intentional grounding rule. If they weren't incomplete passes there would be no need for that.
I've counted three times here:

Watch Philadelphia Eagles vs. New England Patriots [02/04/2018] - NFL.com

I'm getting 48 passes from Brady. That excludes the spikes and one penalty.

I respect that. I think we've gotten so accustomed to beating the better team...or at least the more talented teams...that I forget sometimes.

If the defense had gotten off the field when it was 33-32 i had not doubts we would have scored a td and it would be 40-32. The eagles defense was out of gas. Instead we got the iggles going on a drive that lasted over 7 minutes!

I agree with bayless and i am not his biggest fan. For once belichick dropped the ball.

Superbowl 36: 4th quarter opens with Pats up 17-3, STL scores 14 points including a 3 play 55 yard game-tying TD drive with under 2 mins left in the game. You know the rest.

Superbowl 38: 4th quarter opens with the Pats taking a 21-10 lead. The defense would go on to give up 3 TD drives none lasting more than about 2 min capped with a game typing 7 play 80 yard TD drive leaving Brady with a minute to work. You know the rest.

Superbowl 39: Veteran group gets a 4th quarter turnover to really give the offense a chance to take control of the game though.McNabb is unable to pull himself together to run the no-huddle. Long TD drive but not enough time to do anything else after not getting onside kick.

Eli Manning x2 but I put both of those games on the offensive line and execution. The second game had a talentless secondary but far more competitive than what we saw yesterday.

Seattle: Walked down the field to end both halves. Got 7 to end the first half and Malcolm Butler made a play on the goal line to end the 2nd. 2nd miracle catch really helps Seattle get their though. The defense played pretty well in the 2nd half all things considered.

ATL: Tale of two halves. Probably the best defensive performance to close out any of our SB's. ATL made plays but also some errors and we got a bigtime play from Hightower.

Philly: basically didn't show up

All in all they've been competitive in every single Super Bowl defensively except for this one. No big-time stops or big-time plays. A single turnover down the field but not nearly enough outside of that play. If they turn in any of the performances they did over the first 7 they win IMO.

Your argument is ridiculous. This is an individual game issue, not a season long and roster building exercise. Belichick himself acknowledges complementary football. Without good play by the offense, the defense is under more pressure. Without good STs, the defense doesn't have the same good field position, etc....

So, of course Brady gets a percentage of credit for the defense if you're going to be giving the defensive-minded head coach, who makes almost none of the offensive calls, a percentage of the credit for the offense. If you're going to make such a picayune argument on the one end, you have to make that same sort of picayune argument on the other end.

Not that hard to understand.

As for Pederson, he's the one calling the plays on offense, so your comparison fails miserably.

This reply said nothing of substance beyond you feeling the need to use the word "picayune"

Saying that Belichick has 0% to do with the offensive performance in any given game is absolutely foolish.

Not really. The problem with Manning was that he would rack up all these stats in the regular season, then he'd have an underwhelming (if it wasn't horrible) performance in a playoff game, well below his regular season standards. Possibly even throwing a big pick or something.

If Peyton Manning had the same record doing what Brady did last night, he wouldn't have gotten nearly the flack for it

Sorry I don’t understand this idea is trying to think differently than the majority by saying brady didn’t have a good game. 500 yards and 3 tds scoring 33 pts is a good game. Without him this score would’ve looked a lot like the Seattle Denver super bowl. Both offenses were great, the Philly D was able to make one great play at the end which decided it.

But the yards. Look at the yards.

The NFL should award another trophy for most yards so nobody goes home feeling left out.
I know. Look at the yards in the 1st half and then look at the scoreboard.....only 12 points scored and losing by 10. Situational football matters. It matters in the 1st quarter just like it does in the 4th quarter. In fact what happens in the 1st quarter directly impacts how the game plays out. Because the Patriots came out slow and fell behind by 2 scores they were never in position to use the real strength of their team, their offense (through game/clock management) as a firewall to spare their defense and keep them off the field.

I know. Look at the yards in the 1st half and then look at the scoreboard.....only 12 points scored and losing by 10. Situational football matters. It matters in the 1st quarter just like it does in the 4th quarter. In fact what happens in the 1st quarter directly impacts how the game plays out. Because the Patriots came out slow and fell behind by 2 scores they were never in position to use the real strength of their team, their offense (through game/clock management) as a firewall to spare their defense and keep them off the field.

Only 12 points scored because ST cost them another 4 easy points. Being on pace to score 32 points against a top 5 defense is pretty good.

And the reason they fell behind 2 scores is because the defense was pathetic.

Bill Belichick is this supposed defensive genius, yet 8 superbowls with the Patriots:
'01 - 17 points, 427 yards to the Rams. Best game of his life
'03 - 29 points, 387 yards.
'04 - 21, 369 yards
'07 - 17, 338 yards
'11 - 21, 396
'14 - 24, 396
'16 - 28, 344
'17 - 41, 538

That's 25 PPG and 399 yards per game. Not 'defensive genius' material. Fact is, since he's 'done the grocery shopping', his defense hasn't ever dominated in a big game against a capable offense. Ever.

He's still the Goat for keeping a team in contention year in year out, but his defenses have really not been good since '04. Don't give me this "oh but the points!". When is the last time a BB defense shutdown a legit offense?

That wasent bend but not break.

More accurate description would be break , don’t bother tackling, use packages that make no sense. Ugg

Patricia should have remained a rocket scientist because there is no way he could be as bad at astrometry
I hope he doesn't go back to rocket science and astrometry. He'll probably public a paper claiming an asteroid poses no danger and then, days later, it goes full dinosaur on us.

Tsk. Tsk.

Bill Belichick is this supposed defensive genius, yet 8 superbowls with the Patriots:
'01 - 17 points, 427 yards to the Rams. Best game of his life
'03 - 29 points, 387 yards.
'04 - 21, 369 yards
'07 - 17, 338 yards
'11 - 21, 396
'14 - 24, 396
'16 - 28, 344
'17 - 41, 538

That's 25 PPG and 399 yards per game. Not 'defensive genius' material. Fact is, since he's 'done the grocery shopping', his defense hasn't ever dominated in a big game against a capable offense. Ever.

He's still the Goat for keeping a team in contention year in year out, but his defenses have really not been good since '04. Don't give me this "oh but the points!". When is the last time a BB defense shutdown a legit offense?
I wonder how our point total fares if we ignore the miserable AFC East games in computing that average. We've honestly had it pretty easy with these organizations looking to make big splashes to compete with us rather than build incrementally. #Jills #Lolphins #Jest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back